THINGS THAT CHANGE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Once upon a time there was TV. IT WAS FREE. You watched it for about 58 min. and then you watched a 2 min. commercial. Well along the way the commercials got longer and there are more of them. It is almost 50% on some programs. Along came pay TV with no commercials. It was great! Then premium channels were that cost more. Them commercials crept in. Now you have to pay for it and watch the commercials. Progress?
Now look at the internet. See the pattern? It appears the premium channels have arrived. Just my view, Frank

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Don't forget movies that you pay for, and then get to watch a commercial(s) before it starts.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time there was Treasurenet. Then a big purple blob appeared out of the sky and landed right on the top of the front page, splayed like a big pile of excrement. Now it looks like a retarded, oh excuse me I mean " mentally challenged" website.

As far as cable and the commercials go, I agree.
COMCAST- Now I have to use a converter box for to watch what I used to without one. I don't get it. Progress? I don't think so.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
diggummup said:
Once upon a time there was Treasurenet. Then a big purple blob appeared out of the sky and landed right on the top of the front page, splayed like a big pile of excrement. Now it looks like a retarded, oh excuse me I mean " mentally challenged" website.

You can go into PROFILE and select LOOK AND LAYOUT PREFERENCES. At the top, select Current Theme and you can change back to the older style display without the pull down menus and all the purple.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Diggummup, I love your "excrement" explenation, but you have to remember when you pay for it, it multiplies!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
TV? Do they still have that?

We watch hulu & YouTube & PBS free online movies, etc. But our TV watching has dropped way off due to a decision to start LIVING life instead of watching others live theirs. I watch maybe 5 hours of online programing per week. Mostly I watch informational programing having to do with oil painting (I'm an artist) and antique restoration.

I watch few treasure videos. This is a bit strange because in the early days of YouTube I had lots of detecting videos posted. In fact I posted the very first YouTube detector video here on Treasurenet (now gone but done on a Nautilus detector).

Everything changes. I think of all the people who once were members here and are now long-gone. I joined TNet shortly after Marc put it up. In those days one could just click on a button and delete ones whole account. I deleted my account many times when I'd get upset about one thing or another but a few months or a year later I'd return with a new name and account. I was once "Minelab" and back then there were only a few of us on this forum who liked Minelab detectors. I took a lot of ribbing because I liked Minelabs ;D

Great thread.

Badger

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well Michigan Badger, we have some things in common. I paint and restore antique articles I save from the ground. Oils are to slow for me. I use acrylic, watercolor and soft pastels mostly with a little pyrography and fresco thrown in. Frank

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 182
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 183

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Well Michigan Badger, we have some things in common. I paint and restore antique articles I save from the ground. Oils are to slow for me. I use acrylic, watercolor and soft pastels mostly with a little pyrography and fresco thrown in. Frank

Soft pastels......I never could get the hang of them. With paints you can sort of trial and error your way along, but pastels, well, for me it was all error...though I do love good pastel art.

TV....maybe a few hours total a week, all evening hours. I spend most of my time doing things outside or in the wood shop during the day.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bigscoop, The trick with pastels is you have to realize that the blending takes place on the painting not the palet. The thing is I hate glass in front of an image. The reflections and glare kill the image so to get around this I coat all my work with clear urethane, even the pastels, which is tricky. Frank

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Bigscoop, The trick with pastels is you have to realize that the blending takes place on the painting not the palet. The thing is I hate glass in front of an image. The reflections and glare kill the image so to get around this I coat all my work with clear urethane, even the pastels, which is tricky. Frank

Try this....use a series of "very light" coats of clear enamel and allow them to dry before applying the urethane. The light coats of enamel will create a protective layer over your work and it really has helped to reduce those unwanted reactions when you go a bit too heavy with the urethane. I've been using this little trick for a month now with great results....even works over permenant ink markers. Thanks for the tip on the pastels.......maybe I'll experiment a bit more with it in the near future. :thumbsup:

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
diggummup said:

As far as cable and the commercials go, I agree.
COMCAST- Now I have to use a converter box for to watch what I used to without one. I don't get it. Progress? I don't think so.

I don't know if mine is set up different but I see no big purple blob above. If you mean the purple tool bar below the banner, then I can say I think it's handy but maybe the purple is a little tacky.

I love this site and wouldn't care if it were pink and white with a little bow up top.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bigscoop, here's something else to try. I bond 140# cold press paper to foamcore backing and burn in an image with my pyrography [woodburning] tool. I than paint it with watercolor or ink. It has an almost 3D effect. I then coat it and frame it. I make most of my frames. I dabble in woodworking like you. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The only time I ever use that word is when I hit my thumb hard with a hammer and then it is only mumbled to myself. On the bright side, almost every thing I make is now glued or screwed together. My home that I built Is held together by deck screws,not nails. Frank

K

Kentucky Kache

Frankn said:
The only time I ever use that word is when I hit my thumb hard with a hammer and then it is only mumbled to myself. On the bright side, almost every thing I make is now glued or screwed together. My home that I built Is held together by deck screws,not nails. Frank

Screws hold tighter, but they break easier. Plus, you do 3 times the work.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kentucky, I wore out a De Walt screwgun building the house. Each stud has the three angled screws plus two straight up thru the plate at each end plus hurricane clips. I don't thing it is going anywhere. Everything is overbuilt. Exterior plates are pressure treated with urethane foam applied between plate and slab. The plates are bolted down with L bolts embedded in the concrete plus nail gunned down. You know how it is when you build YOUR house. Deck screws are strong and will break before they will bend while nails are soft and will bend easily. Frank

K

Kentucky Kache

Frankn said:
Kentucky, I wore out a De Walt screwgun building the house. Each stud has the three angled screws plus two straight up thru the plate at each end plus hurricane clips. I don't thing it is going anywhere. Everything is overbuilt. Exterior plates are pressure treated with urethane foam applied between plate and slab. The plates are bolted down with L bolts embedded in the concrete plus nail gunned down. You know how it is when you build YOUR house. Deck screws are strong and will break before they will bend while nails are soft and will bend easily. Frank

I don't even like screwing down deck boards. They hold good, but it's a lot of work.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank God for the DVR,dvr it and go thru the commercials :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread