158 Bronze Vases Stolen From Cemetery *Caught*

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I best not comment on a public forum, that would imply intent. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

http://www.digtriad.com/news/most_popular/article.aspx?storyid=165308&provider=top

Police: 158 Bronze Vases Stolen From Cemetery
Chelsi Zash Created: 3/9/2011 10:08:39 AM Updated: 3/9/2011 10:40:36 AM

High Point, NC -- Investigators in High Point are looking for any leads in connection to the theft of floral vases from a cemetery.

Investigators believe the 158 bronze vases were stolen from Floral Garden Cemetery during the past weekend. High Point Police said they began their investigation Tuesday morning.

The vases were estimated to cost $31,600.

Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call Crimestoppers at (336) 889-4000.

This isn't the first time bronze vases were stolen from a Triad cemetery.

In May 2008, two men were charged with in Rockingham County after 138 bronze vases were stolen from three different cemeteries. Both men were convicted in that case. One is currently serving a five-year prison sentence, the other received probation.
WFMY News 2

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
Re: 158 Bronze Vases Stolen From Cemetery

Same thing happened in Milwaukee last October :

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-cemetery-thefts-101210,0,3277818.story

They were caught after the story was on the news, complete with surveillance camera footage :

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/106289498.html

The vases are imported from Italy and they are mainly copper and bronze. They retail for $325 each.

According to the complaint, the three had been cutting them up and turning in the scrap metal. Dougherty told investigators he'd get about $20 for 10 vases.

Police believe more than 200 vases valued at more than $40,000 were stolen, but the scrap value was only about $400, they said.

OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC

These people really need to learn the difference between right and wrong.

I could see hunting or fishing out of season if a family was hungry, it's called survival.

Stealing from the dead, wheeew. No excuse. :(

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Hell they even steal the veterans flag holders made from bronze. I have taken to casting some from concrete to replace them. bronze spray paint makes them look good. Bob

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

lonesomebob said:
Hell they even steal the veterans flag holders made from bronze. I have taken to casting some from concrete to replace them. bronze spray paint makes them look good. Bob

Every year when we put flags on the graves we find some that are missing, and of course some get hit by the lawn mowers.

I don't like thieves at all but doing things like that is even lower.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My family had an old (40's) style brass vase that was stolen a few years ago from my great Uncles grave who died in ww2 during the Battan death march >:( It's pretty bad when someone steals from a cemetery just in the name of money :dontknow:

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

WindHarvester said:
I don't like thieves at all but doing things like that is even lower.

Maybe it's just something about the scum that give even criminals a bad name or just stealing from graveyards and/or churches that makes the local news :

http://www.wisn.com/news/26846958/detail.html

texastee2007 said:
are the salvage yards that desperate? can't they tell something is fishy when someone shows up with this stuff? What are they going to do when one of these creeps shows up with the Veteran's bronze plaque? With their name and service date on it?

Seems they turn a blind eye but I've never dealt with a scrap yard. I'd hope someone working there has some kind of morals ...

OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC

Caught him.

I will be interested in the sentence

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-high-point-cemetery-vase-theft-arrest-110311,0,437028.story

Home > MyFOX8.com | News

Trinity Man Arrested for Allegedly Stealing 158 Cemetery Vases

158 Vases Stolen from High Point Cemetery 158 Vases Stolen from High Point Cemetery

Ryan Sullivan Staff Writer

1:18 p.m. EST, March 11, 2011

HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP)
Police arrested a Trinity man Thursday in connection with the theft of more than $30,000 worth of vases from a cemetery in High Point.

Micah Allen Atkinson, 35, of Trinity, was arrested in connection with the theft of 158 cemetery vases from Floral Garden Cemetery, located at 1730 West English Road in High Point, police said in a news release.

A cemetery spokesperson said maintenance workers noticed the missing vases during a routine grounds check Monday morning. Police said the cemetery reported the thefts to them on Tuesday.

Police said most of the the stolen vases, which were valued at a total of $31,600, have been returned to the cemetery.

Atkinson was charged with felony larceny. He's been released on a $7,500 bond.

Elsie Sands has four loved ones buried at the cemetery, and after rushing to the site, she was fortunate to find that all four of the vases were still there.

"I just can't believe people go out and do things like this," Sands said.

Floral Garden's policy states that it is not responsible for theft or vandalism. There is no security at the site, and like most cemeteries, the gates are always open for visitors.

As the price of scrap metal increases, cemeteries around the country have been targeted because of monuments and memorial markers valued for their resale value to dealers.

Copyright © 2011, WGHP-TV

OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
You know, there is a lot to be said for a set of Stocks, if that is the correct term.

Pillory; is the name I was looking for.

The pillory was a device made of a wooden or metal framework erected on a post, with holes for securing the head and hands, formerly used for punishment by public humiliation and often further physical abuse, sometimes lethal.[1] The pillory is related to the stocks.[2]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread