Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is about a watch, not a detector, and usually I wouldn't post about a scam because I think most people who fall for them have bad judgment, but in this case I think I would have got taken to. Just one more thing to make sure of when doing a big deal online.

Here is the story from another website.

"I was recently a victim of fraud. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. I’ll try and give a complete but succinct story.

I had my PAM 250 on Showcase and I was contacted by a person via my cell phone (I had the number in the ad). We talked and he agreed to purchase my watch. I told him I wanted to do a wire to my bank (no names here, but think a red stagecoach). He said he used the same bank and offered to do an account to account transfer (within the same bank). I figured that would be a great and secure way to do the deal.

The following day he did the”transfer” and I checked my account online and it showed the funds in my account. I called my bank and they said the funds were there, I mentioned that it was an account to account transfer, but they failed in their duty to tell me that it was actually a deposit, not a transfer.

The next day the funds cleared and I then went and transferred the funds to a TZ seller (who’s great) and purchased a JLC. The teller at the branch where I transferred my funds to the seller of the JLC said my funds were secure and they actually made the transfer as a cash transfer. The purchase of my new watch went well, and the seller of the JLC to me was great, no issues. I also went ahead and express mailed my PAM to the “buyer”.

Six days later, I received notice that my account was over drawn by over $5K. Come to find out the “transfer” to my account was actually a deposit of a forged cashier’s check.
I’ve reported the theft to my local police who have assigned a detective to my case. The detective said that the address where my watch was mailed to in Henderson, NV was actually a home for sale. The cell phone he called me from was a pay as you go phone and may have some leads, but that’s not likely. My bank true to form refused to let me know where the deposit in Henderson occurred. The police may file a warrant.

I initiated a claim with my insurance company and within 24-hour they settled my claim as best as they could, they even waived my deductable. My insurance company was super and they treated me great.

My bank on the other hand treated me like crap. I filed a claim with them and they dismissed it because they had no records of my calls to verify the transfer. In fact the branch manager basically said it was my fault and stated that my accounts might be terminated because I’m a risk to the bank, in spite of the fact I’m a “Platinum” customer.

Feel free to PM or email me and I can give you names of my bank, insurance company, and the person’s name. I can also let you know the name of the person I purchased the JLC, who is just a super person as he offered to sell my JLC and help me get whole.

Bottom line if someone tells you they’re doing a wire or transfer, be very careful, it could be a fraudulent deposit.
At the end of the day, I’m still out over $2K. The seller of the JLC offered to re-sell my new watch at no cost to him, but I decided to keep it and simply take the $2K hit, because I really like my new JLC."

C

Cappy Z.

I think it would be quite reasonable to post the name of your bank. I personally would not do business with them. They don't deserve anyone's business.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lets see if I remember my history correctly ----WELLS FARGO had large stage coachs that they used for carrying money from one towns bank to another towns bank (as well as people) if I recall correctly. :read2: -- I love history don't you? :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread