Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CW Relics Then & Now

Something I read and wanted to share with you. Excerpt from War Letters by Andrew Carroll, of a letter dated Jan 29, 1882 written by Col Joshua L. Chamberlain (MOH) to his sister, Sarah. On Jun 18, 1864, Col Chamberlain nearly lost his life, a bullet slammed into Chamberlain's right hip and tore through his midsection, severing arteries and fracturing his pelvis before exiting from his left hip. 17 years later he revisited that site.

Friday I visited the battle fields of Petersburg & spent 4 hours in trying to identify the spot where I fell on the 18 June 64 in leading a charge upon the Rebel works.

All is changed there now. What was a solid piece of wood through which I led my troops is now all cleared fields, & the hill side so smooth then is now grown up with little clumps of trees--marking some spots mad more rich perhaps by the bloody struggles enacted on them.

At last, guided by the railroad cut & the well remembered direction of the church spires of the city, I found the spot--or a space of 20 or 30 feet within which I must have fallen. It is now a flowed field--too rich, I suppose, since that 18 of June to be left barren by the owner--& there are in it the remnants of a last years cornfield.

Standing & musing there remembering how I thought of mother in that calm ebbing away of life amidst the horrible carnage, I looked down & saw a bullet, & while stooping to pick it up, another & another appeared in sight & I took up six within as many feet of each other and of the spot where I fell. You may imagine what the havoc must have been that day and for 17 years relic hunters have been carrying away lead & iron from that field--amounting, I was told, to cart-loads. I could easily no doubt have found many more had I search, or kicked away the earth a little. But these I have, & that other that made so straight a way through me, will do.

You can not imagine, I believe, what thoughts came over me, as I thought of all those who stood there on that day--for & against--& what it was all for, & what would come of it--& of those who on the one side & the other thought there was something at stake worthy of dearest sacrifice.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CW Relics Then & Now

Just think of all of those "eye" finds back then.. Too bad he didn't have a metal detector back then, he would have cleaned up and most items would still be near the surface ;D

U

umrgolf

Whoa!!! NoW THAT is AWESOME!!! Makes you appreciate it So much :o :o :notworthy:

U

umrgolf

DD-777 said:
umrgolf said:
Whoa!!! NoW THAT is AWESOME!!! Makes you appreciate it So much :o :o :notworthy:

So very true. It makes digging a fired round that much more thought provoking and meaningful. Thanks for sharing this piece with us Judie... :icon_thumright:

I've read this story four times now, and don't think it'll get dull.. When I began to dig the CW relics a couple years ago, I didn't really appreciate what I was doing at all. The stuff holds so much more value than what it's worth and I often forget about it. Stories like this remind me of what this is all about.

Several times I've looked at the mushroomed bullets and wondered if they've struck someone. This story just makes you wonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread