OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Craft Shows, Farmer's Markets, etc.

texastee2007 said:
bigscoop said:
A lot of talented people out there and some really neat stuff to boot! :thumbsup:

details...we need details...

Just been cruising the local farmer's markets and arts & crafts shows in recent weeks and I can't believe some of the "really cool creations" that are being offered by numerous talented people. And oh yes, the food! Can't forget the food! :thumbsup:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have tackled 3 markets over the last 15 years
whole hog sausage from our livestock
natural goat milk soaps from my Boer goats
fresh eggs from our 400 chickens
fresh produce from our fields

darn right markets are great....support those local farmer markets. keeps people in biz like me, keeps fresh foods on your plate and keeps the money in your local economy.

win/win

:hello2:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We are going to have an over-abundance of eggs this year and I was wondering what the laws were about selling fresh eggs and veggies to the public. My granddaughter was thinking about having a veggie/fresh egg stand this summer but I don't want her getting into trouble. You always see these news shows where little kids get busted for selling Kool Aid and cookies; makes you wonder.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm fixing to start doing the markets on a regular basis, the atmosphere is fantastic, the food is great, and if I can make a few bucks in the process then that makes for a pretty good day in my book. And like Treasure Hunter says, "The eye candy ain't all that bad either!" What more could a middle-aged guy ask for? :laughing7:

PS: Is 52 middle-aged or pre-senior? :dontknow: :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

packerbacker said:
We are going to have an over-abundance of eggs this year and I was wondering what the laws were about selling fresh eggs and veggies to the public. My granddaughter was thinking about having a veggie/fresh egg stand this summer but I don't want her getting into trouble. You always see these news shows where little kids get busted for selling Kool Aid and cookies; makes you wonder.

It usually all starts with the county in which you live......give them a call first. They'll tell you what their county regs are and let you know what state permits, etc you might also need. At least that's the way it worked in Indiana, but those regs are usually different from state to state and county to county.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

I'm gearing up for an all vinatge/ handmade show next month:) AND I LOVE South Bend's farmers market, est. 1924...it's Bonafide!

But you know me...i'm a crafter. And by the way...still NO pics...cmon, work w/me here:)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're probably right scoop but I've found that, once you start asking questions, you find out you can't do anything without a thousand dollar permit. :D
btw, 52 is considered post-adolescence

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II

Here where I live in Indiana, all you need to do is pay the 30 dollar fee good for all year. One great thing Indiana did 2 years ago was now you can sell food items that you made in your own kitchen at farmers markets. You just need to label the product and put ingredients on as well. Oh yeah, nothing you have to re fridgerate either. I agree that these places are great!

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

Here in my small community you can sell whatever you want as long as it's not drugs or bad whiskey. I buy all my eggs from a friend for $1.75 a dozen, I buy sausage from a nother friend for $2.75 per 2 lbs. I get everything I can local except gasoline, prices are always higher here. We only use about 10 to 15 gallons a month so it's not so bad.

As far as the drugs and bad whiskey, the dealers in that trade better hope the police find them before some of the people here find out they are pushing it.

We have a lot of Amish folks about 20 miles away and me and a buddy go out often. An example is when the local stores are selling Mellon's for $4.99 a piece we can buy them by the truck bed for a buck a piece, same low prices on sweet corn, onions, potato's, ETC.

When we purchase meat (when deer runs low) we try to buy everything from local farmers instead of the chain markets like Kroger and IGA or them bast**** at Walmart.

An example of this is lemons run about a buck a piece at the chain stores and at the Amish store down the road they are 4 for a buck right now.

We grow most everything, but with a family of 4 plus friends and neighbors we run low and buy/barter with others.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got in touch with the county. She will be able to sell anything she grows as long as it is fresh and ripe. With the eggs she will need a one-time egg handler permit which costs $15 and she will have to pay a tiny fee based on a cost per case sold with a case being 30 dozen. She won't have to pay much at all. I hope she gets it off the ground and makes a few bucks doing it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm not sure if the food bill HR 875 passed or if its on the backburner. I think its dead but im not 100% positive. Either way you might want to look into it.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup you are right. the Boers are the big meat goats.
We sold meat kids and raised for profit.

but per lb. the meat kids were low on the profit scale....I guess NC meat production for goats was not wonderful, lol, so I had to find extra ways to make money from this herd.

all goats produce milk so into the extra soap biz I went LOL

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vibes said:
I'm gearing up for an all vinatge/ handmade show next month:) AND I LOVE South Bend's farmers market, est. 1924...it's Bonafide!

But you know me...i'm a crafter. And by the way...still NO pics...cmon, work w/me here:)

I sent you pics the other day, again. Still can't view them?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

packerbacker said:
You're probably right scoop but I've found that, once you start asking questions, you find out you can't do anything without a thousand dollar permit. :D
btw, 52 is considered post-adolescence

Was talking with my neighbor today, he owns a large garden and nursery shop in NJ. He told me today that the only way he can sell things like fresh eggs and cheese now, (even for the day or a half day, like say on just Saturday mornings), is if they are refrigerated.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hypoman said:
Here where I live in Indiana, all you need to do is pay the 30 dollar fee good for all year. One great thing Indiana did 2 years ago was now you can sell food items that you made in your own kitchen at farmers markets. You just need to label the product and put ingredients on as well. Oh yeah, nothing you have to re fridgerate either. I agree that these places are great!

But you still have to conform to prep area regs, like stainless steal sinks and such, or have they changed that as well?

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

vibes said:

You are going to give us a date aren't you? Who knows, I and many others just might be in the area!

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used

That is one huge goat, I wouldn't milk that thing for nothing.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used

texastee2007 said:
WindHarvester said:
That is one huge goat, I wouldn't milk that thing for nothing.

Windharvester if you can get milk from that buck I will pay to watch....bet we could raise alot of money.

OH, I thought that HUGE sack in the back was an utter. :laughing9:

In High school my wife (that time girlfriend) raised goats for 4H and the Junior Fair shows. :wink:

Goats are ornery but they are some of the sweetest and funnest animals to raise, we both miss them and plan getting some more someday.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A friend of mine has goat, neat animal until it wants to put its head down and say hello from the blind side! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread