Walmart to open Express stores..........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
I asked the boss and she said the good dollar store is DOLLAR TREE.

Okay, this is the thread post:
".......don't think the economy is going to remain in the down turn? Think again. Walmart is actually losing so many sales to the various dollar stores that they just announced they will be opening 14,000 sq ft express stores in an recoop that lost business. Dollar stores have been very profitable in the past several years in a market that is rapidly and steadily growing, and expected to continue to grow. I think this is a pretty good measuring stick as to just how our declining economy is going to undergo change over the next several years."

I agree. The economy is diffinitely in "change" mode.

Wal-Mart posted its second consecutive year of declines in U.S. same-store sales. For its fiscal year that ended Jan. 31, Wal-Mart's U.S. same-store sales were down 1.8 percent, and the same indicator was down 2 percent the year before.

Walmart still making billions in net profit, even with the loss of revenue from the U.S. stores losing money, last year their gross revenue was up 3.4% from previous year for a total of $421.8 billion for the year and net income was up 14.1 percent from previous year for a total of $16.39 billion based on the strength of its international sales and Sam's Club stores.........

I hate shopping in Walmart, but that is more due to the class of people there than the store itself. >:(

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Michigan Badger said:
I asked the boss and she said the good dollar store is DOLLAR TREE.

Okay, this is the thread post:
".......don't think the economy is going to remain in the down turn? Think again. Walmart is actually losing so many sales to the various dollar stores that they just announced they will be opening 14,000 sq ft express stores in an recoop that lost business. Dollar stores have been very profitable in the past several years in a market that is rapidly and steadily growing, and expected to continue to grow. I think this is a pretty good measuring stick as to just how our declining economy is going to undergo change over the next several years."

I agree. The economy is diffinitely in "change" mode.

Wal-Mart posted its second consecutive year of declines in U.S. same-store sales. For its fiscal year that ended Jan. 31, Wal-Mart's U.S. same-store sales were down 1.8 percent, and the same indicator was down 2 percent the year before.

Walmart still making billions in net profit, even with the loss of revenue from the U.S. stores losing money, last year their gross revenue was up 3.4% from previous year for a total of $421.8 billion for the year and net income was up 14.1 percent from previous year for a total of $16.39 billion based on the strength of its international sales and Sam's Club stores.........

I hate shopping in Walmart, but that is more due to the class of people there than the store itself. >:(

From what I was reading, Walmart is basing the need for their new Express Stores on projections of continued market losses to the variety of dollar stores that are expanding and gaining strength do to the declining economy, and future projections on the economy. In this I "assumed" that if a global giant such as Walmart is trusting these future projections and risking billions on that information then, again, I can only assume that they also believe the economy will continue to decline. At least that's what I gathered from it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh just check the US dollar vs just about "major" currrency exchange ratio for the last couple years -- its been a long steady "free fall" -- the dollars "value" is tanking exchage wize (and has been doing so for the last 30 years slowly but surely if you check the long term "trends" charts -- (in 1980 - I got 220 yen per dollar / currently its been in the 80-90 range - over a 60% drop in buying value) -- that will lead to a lowered over all standard of living --it has to there is no other choice --current US debt levels (both personal on adverage * and the overall national debt are becoming "unmanagible" and out of control --the day of accounting (national bankruptcy and its fall out) is coming and its not going to be pretty folks, --- cause the piper must be paid , sooner or later.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered why the dollar stores, like Dollar General, never expanded into selling gas, or why the convenience stores never expanded into the dollar store market? Seems like a good fit to me in today's economy. :help:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
uh just check the US dollar vs just about "major" currrency exchange ratio for the last couple years -- its been a long steady "free fall" -- the dollars "value" is tanking exchage wize (and has been doing so for the last 30 years slowly but surely if you check the long term "trends" charts -- (in 1980 - I got 220 yen per dollar / currently its been in the 80-90 range - over a 60% drop in buying value) -- that will lead to a lowered over all standard of living --it has to there is no other choice --current US debt levels (both personal on adverage * and the overall national debt are becoming "unmanagible" and out of control --the day of accounting (national bankruptcy and its fall out) is coming and its not going to be pretty folks, --- cause the piper must be paid , sooner or later.

File for Bankruptcy & Come back under a different name.

"Exxon Mobil Corporation" :dontknow:
"Bill gates" :dontknow: "walley Land" :dontknow:
"New china" :dontknow: "Northern Mexico" :dontknow:
"South Canada" :dontknow: "Littler Italy" :dontknow:
"Inda-anna" :dontknow: "New Ethiopia" :dontknow:
"Taxes" :dontknow: "New Eastern Bloc" :dontknow:
"The Belligerent States of america" (the BS of A) :laughing7:

New Anthum :

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Walmart just wants some more places to stick their fascist department of homeland stupidity monitors, i know where they can stick them :laughing7:

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I've always wondered why the dollar stores, like Dollar General, never expanded into selling gas, (...)

Two words: Regulatory nightmare

RFID viruses exist. It's only a matter of time before somebody figures out how to crash a store's computers by infecting it through a scanned tag. :laughing9:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know more about how walmart operates and their current business plan than anyone on here, unfortunately. Believe me, when the economy went down and stock price fell, heads rolled in the upper levels. Payroll is a 'controllable expense' and a very easy one to cut. Only 3 cashiers on duty when you could use 6? Well you'll gripe, but you will wait and pay. And they still get your money. In 10 years I never once saw someone walk away from a register and leave a whole cart of merchandise. Never. Yeah, they griped, but they spent the money. Got a department manager makin $17 dollars an hour? Why, when you can hire someone at the entry salary of $11.50 to do the same job. The party line was to try to get them to 'promote' to a higher level, but there's only so much room at the top so it translated into figure out a way to fire them. You never hear anything more about 'respect for the individual'. The district and regional managers quit making any references to Sam Walton about 3 years ago. I won't go on, cause I checked it to them. I'll put up with a lot personally, but when they started messing with my employees I couldn't tolerate that. Those folks did me a good job. Enough about that. Dollar General was a pretty cool store back in the late 60's and early 70's. It's gone downhill since then. Gibson's was the best 'dollar store' ever, but they have since fallen by the way..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty soon they will be able to go back to
5 & 10's again.

Only difference will Be $5 & $10

Would be cool if the Brought back the Soda Fountain too then

blewetts-soda-fountain-1955.jpg

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
pretty soon they will be able to go back to
5 & 10's again.

Only difference will Be $5 & $10

Would be cool if the Brought back the Soda Fountain too then

You're right, Jeff. But instead of the 5 & 10 cent store it will be the 5 & 10 Yuan store.

Soda Fountains were wonderful! I used my school lunch money to buy milkshakes and/or cherry phosphates (Carbonated drink with fruit syrup and a little phosphoric acid).

A big shake in one of those tall cans was 50 cents. The phosphates were only like 10 cents each. Since dad only gave me $1.25 for the school lunch program (charge for an entire week of school lunches) I usually went with the phosphates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread