Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cop thing apparently don't work no more. I got called and told them about my 25 years as a police officer. They picked me anyway. (I ALWAYS wished I could sit on jury on a criminal trial) We sat through 2 days of the most boring testimony (the cops didn't arrest the suspect, they just interviewed him over the phone and told him to come in some time) and we found the guy not guilty, and chastised the DA for not telling the victim this was a civil case. The defense attorney came in to speak to us afterward and thank us for our verdict, but I cut him off and told him to shut up, as he already got his guy off, and we were tired of the waste of our time. (The other jurors liked that) I don't suppose that DA will pick me again, but legally and reasonably, the case just wasn't there.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
That isn't even really the point. The point is, the judicial system is broken, its become a farce. The fate of the accused is determined prior to trial and they choose jurors that will give them the outcome they desire. Being part of the farce will do nothing to change it, in fact, it will only perpetuate it.

What she said :thumbsup: :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe there are too many controls in place that 'they' are able to pick a jury that gives them the verdict 'they' want. The prosecution and the defense have challenges and some control over who is chosen, so it evens out. However, if I ever got arrested for something really bad, I would request to have my case heard only by the judge, who knows the law such as it is, rather than a jury. You never know what a jury will sit around and use to rationalize what verdict to come up with. If you got money, go talk to the DA yourself about the plea bargain route, and save the cost of an attorney. Sometimes ain't no justice, just us.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'many' things are broken in our country and other countries.
to just say, it is a farce, why participate means you abandoned your duties to your country.

I see it truly as 'work with what is given' a crap system, work it best you can

the "I give up attitude" is why it is all falling apart. Don't like the judicial system, WHO OF YOU are active participants in changing it. I mean really active other than reading up on issues and casting a vote in 1 min. of your time?

true participation equals changes. saying it is a junk system and walking away saying why bother is a monster cop out and is why good changes can't happen.

just how I see things. actions speak louder than words so to get up and do something about what you moan about daily would be the way to be pro-active.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick, like your perspective. Out of curiousity, have you ever been arrested for a serious crime and processed through the judicial system? (Like a high misdeamenor or felony)

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
FarmerChick, like your perspective. Out of curiousity, have you ever been arrested for a serious crime and processed through the judicial system? (Like a high misdeamenor or felony)
I have. 8)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
actions speak louder than words so to get up and do something about what you moan about daily would be the way to be pro-active.

Its not quite that easy, its not just the judicial system thats corrupt.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
When you get to court for selection, just fall asleep or pretend to be sleeping and when they call your name, just keep sleeping. The bailiff/assistant will wake you and when the judge asks whats up, just tell them you work midnight shift! If that dont work and you get selected, fall asleep first chance you get during trial. LOL

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
actions speak louder than words so to get up and do something about what you moan about daily would be the way to be pro-active.

Its not quite that easy, its not just the judicial system thats corrupt.

I absolutely agree it isn't easy. But thru the generations people accepted the corrupt changes.
It became what is it and changing anything govt. is hard :laughing7: being pro-active might not produce those changes the next day....but if you find an issue you are passionate about, step up to the plate. People make changes. Protests make changes. No fast solution to bad govt...but the people are the key. again, just see that if an issue is very very important to you then being behind the lines and working for a change is a good thing.

no crimes for me -- :thumbsup:

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
Face it. The chickens are electing Col. Sanders and the judicial system is corrupt politics. No amount of "activism" by individuals is going to have the slightest effect. If you want to see true lawlessness just look at our Govt. Sorry, this isn't my country anymore, We're all slowly becoming little more than Govt property.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Face it. The chickens are electing Col. Sanders and the judicial system is corrupt politics. No amount of "activism" by individuals is going to have the slightest effect. If you want to see true lawlessness just look at our Govt. Sorry, this isn't my country anymore, We're all slowly becoming little more than Govt property.

You got it Bubba :thumbsup: Its going to take a lot more than any individual can possibly do to fix things in this country.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an individual alone doesn't make big change usually, a country united (all the citizens using their voice) can!

but I agree the never ending battle is damn near lost cause people won't react anymore, they accept. so accept and don't moan

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
an individual alone doesn't make big change usually, a country united (all the citizens using their voice) can!

but I agree the never ending battle is damn near lost cause people won't react anymore, they accept. so accept and don't moan

Thats the whole problem farmerchick, the sheeple accept it. And where does that leave the rest of us by them doing so. Up a creek without a paddle. People that accept the corruption become part of the problem. By ignoring the corruption, ignoring the tyranny, makes that person no better than the thief or the tyrant.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True jury duty sucks, sure it is boring and an inconvenience..........

What some seem to forget though is that the right to a trial by a impartial jury of our peers is guaranteed by the "Bill Of Rights". I would certainly not want to be tried by a professional jury or juror. A professional jury or juror would be more prone to vote guilty so they get called more often by the state attorneys. Innocent people get charged all the time for crimes they did not commit.

We can't as citizens choose which of the Bill Of Rights we want to support and which we don't, other wise none of them mean squat, and we deserve what we end up with.... Don't touch the right to keep and bear arms, but the right to a trial by impartial jury well maybe that's not as important....... Sorry, but that is as important as the right to be armed.....

Just my opinion.....

Lady Liberty

Feb 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FC, I think we actually agree on the point that one must be active in order to have any chance of effecting the change we want. However, we disagree on how in which to do it at times I suppose. I'd consider my refusal to participate in jury duty to be a passive form of protest, you believe it to be shirking one's duty. I'd consider my speaking and writing to elected officials on the local, state and federal level to be a more aggressive form of protest. Jury duty and the judicial system are in fact one of the topics I've spoken of to my elected officials about, so to say “to just say, it is a farce, why participate means you abandoned your duties to your country” is inaccurate and out of line.

Yes, I do speak with and write to those officials. I'll help with campaigns, signs, door to door, monetary donations, setting up meet and greets etc. These people, at least local and state, know who I am, we talk, we attend the same events, we have dinner together. If more politicians knew who their constituents were they might just be more afraid to not do the right thing by them. They may also actually know what it is that the people want.

TH, I don't condone the concept of supporting one right while subverting another. My issue with jury duty as it stands is the the perversion of the system. For example, “right to trial by a jury of your peers”. Well, where I'm from you are supposed to perform jury duty within your county. However, every time, and it is annually, I've been called it was to a different county. I live in the country and am called to a city in another county. Why? This is not proper. How am I, a white female living in the country, supposed to understand the plight of the black man or woman living in the inner city? How am I his or her peer? How can I relate? I thought they wanted people that could understand that the defendant had a bad upbringing, a brother killed in gang violence, a drug using mother and abusive father etc. This may sound extreme but how am I supposed to look at their plight having grown up in a somewhat privileged family? Guilty is guilty so far as whether a crime was committed regardless of mitigating circumstances.

So why I am called to another county? Well, the judicial system has decided the outcome of the case and they need someone like me in there that can not relate to the defendant and their upbringing to put them away. They are not following their own rules, they are perverting the system. If the system followed the rules I'd be willing to participate in the duty. If they wanted the defendant to walk they would fill the jury with people that could relate.

I've had numerous lawyers all tell me the same as far as to how the trials are “arranged”. Further, I have had one experience first hand when younger. Class A misdemeanor for carrying the wrong type of knife in the wrong state. Well, the lawyer told me exactly how it would go down and it went that way. My lawyers fee, a “fine” with charges dropped and the bribes for prosecutor and judge. No bs, this is how it went down. The system is a farce.

The other problem I have with jury duty is the lack of protection or rights to the jurors. The rights of the defendant are always considered and very well should be. However, a juror should not be placed in harms way to perform the duty. I've seen this happen with gang related cases. Specific juror information is available to the defense and can be relayed to others on the outside for nefarious purposes. I can see the dissemination of juror background and general information but not information so that the juror or their family can be identified and located at home or work. This is something that needs to be addressed and in fact I have addressed it with my local and state level officials, not that any change has happened.....yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady Liberty said:
TH, I don't condone the concept of supporting one right while subverting another. My issue with jury duty as it stands is the the perversion of the system. For example, “right to trial by a jury of your peers”. Well, where I'm from you are supposed to perform jury duty within your county. However, every time, and it is annually, I've been called it was to a different county. I live in the country and am called to a city in another county. Why? This is not proper. How am I, a white female living in the country, supposed to understand the plight of the black man or woman living in the inner city? How am I his or her peer? How can I relate? I thought they wanted people that could understand that the defendant had a bad upbringing, a brother killed in gang violence, a drug using mother and abusive father etc. This may sound extreme but how am I supposed to look at their plight having grown up in a somewhat privileged family? Guilty is guilty so far as whether a crime was committed regardless of mitigating circumstances.

So why I am called to another county? Well, the judicial system has decided the outcome of the case and they need someone like me in there that can not relate to the defendant and their upbringing to put them away. They are not following their own rules, they are perverting the system. If the system followed the rules I'd be willing to participate in the duty. If they wanted the defendant to walk they would fill the jury with people that could relate.

I've had numerous lawyers all tell me the same as far as to how the trials are “arranged”. Further, I have had one experience first hand when younger. Class A misdemeanor for carrying the wrong type of knife in the wrong state. Well, the lawyer told me exactly how it would go down and it went that way. My lawyers fee, a “fine” with charges dropped and the bribes for prosecutor and judge. No bs, this is how it went down. The system is a farce.

The other problem I have with jury duty is the lack of protection or rights to the jurors. The rights of the defendant are always considered and very well should be. However, a juror should not be placed in harms way to perform the duty. I've seen this happen with gang related cases. Specific juror information is available to the defense and can be relayed to others on the outside for nefarious purposes. I can see the dissemination of juror background and general information but not information so that the juror or their family can be identified and located at home or work. This is something that needs to be addressed and in fact I have addressed it with my local and state level officials, not that any change has happened.....yet.

I do understand what your saying, but I personally don't believe being called to serve in a different county violates the system unless it is against the state law, which then gives you the right to refuse. Bringing one, two, three, or what ever jurors from outside the city or county does not determine the outcome of a jury's verdict, it takes all 9 to either convict or acquit.

I also don't believe a defendant that "had a bad upbringing, a brother killed in gang violence, a drug using mother and abusive father etc " has to be judge by someone who has lived the same kind of life or lifestyle, I'm sorry but a bad upbringing, family member killed, abusive parents or background does not give them, me, or anyone else the right to beat, rob, steal, rape or murder someone.

No where in the Bill Of Rights does it say the jury should be made up of people from the same life style or financial background.

Sixth Amendment – In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:

Thats the whole problem farmerchick, the sheeple accept it. And where does that leave the rest of us by them doing so. Up a creek without a paddle. People that accept the corruption become part of the problem. By ignoring the corruption, ignoring the tyranny, makes that person no better than the thief or the tyrant.

I agree. by omission of 'not doing the right thing when asked of you, like jury duty', you do become no better than the 'criminal' on trial.

yup, sheeple. I so agree. But thank goodness for the few that do take environmental issues to heart and participate and react, or the person who fights for legal rights when big corps etc. get out of line----at least a few take action. but yup, sheeple is most of the population. So involved in daily living and survival keeps one busy, and can't react to what is being done around them. You know 'other people' love when others don't react...lol
"They" can do whatever they want and get away with it.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you are saying LadyL

jury selection is a hard situation

olden days a farmer does wrong. gee not hard to find farmers (his peers) to be on a jury LOL

olden days inner city crime, yup, use inner city people. BUT nowadays one county difference can be a huge difference in lifestyle. Lower class problem area, right next to a $1 million dollar neighborhood.

that is what laywers are for.....if 'you' don't fit the jury they are trying to select, one side can eliminate you....so they have the option of finding more 'like peers' for the defendant.

TH is right. No where does it say the jury of peers must have identical backgrounds etc. It can't happen actually. No one 'really ever has' the same upbringing.

But I don't think saying just because you don't like the system, you have no duty to uphold that system. You do. Simple as walk in, state your exact reasons why you do not like the system, and get eliminated from your duty. Nothing wrong with speaking your true mind. BUT for people to say, I need a note from my doctor to get out of this cause I have no use for the system' is wrong.
Stand up, state your reason why you feel a jury is wrong, and yup, you have my respect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread