The Fastest & Easiest way to clean fresh caught shrimp?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Fastest & Easiest way to clean fresh caught shrimp?

Tee, I have the whole shrimp, most of them are still alive. Legs, head, internals,...the whole thing. I can clean shrimp ok, but it's slow going and somebody out there just has to know a faster & easier way....."I hope!" :laughing7:

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI

MMMMM one at a time with drawn butter and red sauce. ;D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is the bad news - even professional chefs do it the same way. (Maybe part of the reason they aren't cheap).

However, if you get alot of shrimp, they do that "peeler/deveiners. However, you still have to work at it.

b

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop said:
Tee, I have the whole shrimp, most of them are still alive. Legs, head, internals,...the whole thing. I can clean shrimp ok, but it's slow going and somebody out there just has to know a faster & easier way....."I hope!" :laughing7:

1. I pull the shell off.
2. I use the head to dip the body in sauce.
3. I pop what is left below the head in my mouth and bite it off, MMMMMMMM Good......I let my digestive tract do the rest.... :laughing7:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have my own technique for "doing" shrimp. I laughed at those videos...just too funny. Believe me those shrimp in the videos is what we use for fish bait.

Shrimp.jpg

Bigscoop, I see you're on the east coast of FL, so I assume you are referring to gulf shrimp. I eat a lot of shrimp and I clean & freeze much more. When I get shrimp the whole body is there, head & all. Keeping fresh shrimp on ice or in ice water is rule # 1; I pull the heads off first while running under cold water from the faucet being careful not to get pricked by the spines. The headless shrimp are kept in ice water (then strained) till I get ready to put in quart bags for the freezer. When cooking for that night, I pinch and twist the tail off, then from the underside, I squeeze & pop the shell and it slides right off. It's hard to put into words on how it is done and the link below is the only one I could find that is closest to my way of peeling & deveining. As for boiling, the whole body is boiled, we eat veins & all + plus just like crawfish, we suck the heads.

http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/peeling-deveining-butterflying-shrimp-10000001613347/

Attachments

• Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 674

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
I have my own technique for "doing" shrimp. I laughed at those videos...just too funny. Believe me those shrimp in the videos is what we use for fish bait.

Bigscoop, I see you're on the east coast of FL, so I assume you are referring to gulf shrimp. I eat a lot of shrimp and I clean & freeze much more. When I get shrimp the whole body is there, head & all. Keeping fresh shrimp on ice or in ice water is rule # 1; I pull the heads off first while running under cold water from the faucet being careful not to get pricked by the spines. The headless shrimp are kept in ice water (then strained) till I get ready to put in quart bags for the freezer. When cooking for that night, I pinch and twist the tail off, then from the underside, I squeeze & pop the shell and it slides right off. It's hard to put into words on how it is done and the link below is the only one I could find that is closest to my way of peeling & deveining. As for boiling, the whole body is boiled, we eat veins & all + plus just like crawfish, we suck the heads.

http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/peeling-deveining-butterflying-shrimp-10000001613347/

Mmmmmmm Good....Never did understand deveining the shrimp, the vein adds flavor, I am like you I suck the the heads just like crawfish....... I also eat fishheads on small fish, cook them till they are crispy...

What is funny is some people devein the shrimp, want eat it unless it is deveined, but yet will eat hotdogs...... My stepfather worked for a meat processor, I use to go with him on Saturdays when I was in school and I saw how hotdogs were made....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks River Rat! I'll give that a try. I have no problem with eating the veins but just always assumed they had to be removed. That in itself is going to speed up the whole process a bunch. By the way, when you get shrimp like the ones in the picture you posted I don't think they should be called shrimp anymore. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop said:
Thanks River Rat! I'll give that a try. I have no problem with eating the veins but just always assumed they had to be removed. That in itself is going to speed up the whole process a bunch. By the way, when you get shrimp like the ones in the picture you posted I don't think they should be called shrimp anymore. :laughing7:

Those are real shrimp, the ones they sell in most grocery stores are what I call bait.... :icon_thumright:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I usually clean my shrimp in the shower and use Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo, because it's so mild ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop how do you catch them. Are you netting them at night. I am coming down next week to FL and I wouldn't mine getting a mess of them to bring home. Remine me of years ago when we used to go smelting. Caught them by the buckel full. I had to find a easy way to clean them. We used a old washing machine to clean the scales off then we cut the heads and gutted them quick and easy.......Matt

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

The ultimate oxymoron: jumbo shrimp :laughing7:

I admit to de-veining - I don't think it improves the taste, and on the larger shrimp, some of those veins are downright nasty tasting.

It almost worse than gritty clams.

Beth

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlayers said:
bigscoop how do you catch them. Are you netting them at night. I am coming down next week to FL and I wouldn't mine getting a mess of them to bring home. Remine me of years ago when we used to go smelting. Caught them by the buckel full. I had to find a easy way to clean them. We used a old washing machine to clean the scales off then we cut the heads and gutted them quick and easy.......Matt

In the river at night, during the first few hours of each tide change......they seem to be really thick right now during the incoming tide. Was down at the dock last night and they were really pounding them, one guy had about 400 when I left and the shrimp were still running pretty good. I was just observing last night, nice evening for a quiet sit on the dock. :thumbsup:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

I'd be a little leary eating what came out of the gulf. Just in case you dont know.

WARNING: Corexit may affect genetic material. May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects based on animal test data.

The government states the dispersant Corexit 9500A is no more toxic than crude oil. Crude oil is toxic to humans above 11 parts per million and there are locations in the gulf showing 15-221 parts per million.

They say the combination of corexit and crude oil is more toxic than the oil itself. Many reports show they have no way of testing the levels of corexit and oil combined.

What about the health and safety of the public? Where does this leave the public?

They stated oil and corexit will not enter the food chain. Guess what they were wrong. The oil and corexit has entered the food chain in the Gulf of Mexico. They say it's safe to eat the seafood that clearly contains oil, if it contains oil it contains corexit. If the combination of oil and corexit is more toxic than oil alone, how can the seafood be safe to eat?

The EPA advised BP and the Coast Guard to limit the use of dispersants on top of the ocean due to ecological and possible health issues that may arise from its usage. BP and the Coast Guard ignored the EPA and sprayed hundreds of thousands of gallons of it above the surface of the ocean.

Many residents in the gulf say BP sprayed the dispersant close to the coastline and it made land fall making many of them ill. There have been many reports of cleanup workers becoming ill after they cleaned up oil containing Corexit. BP refused and continues to refuse to link the illnesses to the dispersant and its usage.

The Corexit 9500A material safety data sheet clearly states
WARNING
Combustible, Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Avoid breathing vapor. Use with adequate ventilation. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. After contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of soap and water.

ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS: Do not contaminate surface water

Corexit 9500 contains Propylene glycol

Propylene glycol msds
Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May affect genetic material. May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects based on animal test data.
It can be absorbed through the skin and cause systemic effects similar to those of ingestion, It may affect behavior/central nervous system depression, general anesthetic, convulsions, seizures, somnolence, stupor, muscle contraction or spasticity, coma), brain (changes in surface EEG), metabolism, blood (intravascular hemolysis, white blood cells- decreased neutrophil function), respiration (respiratory stimulation, chronic pulmonary edema, cyanosis), cardiovascular system(hypotension, bradycardia, arrhythmias, cardiac arrest), endocrine system (hypoglycemia), urinary system (kidneys), and liver.
Category:

Science & Technology

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red James cash said:
I'd be a little leary eating what came out of the gulf. Just in case you dont know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9ueOIpjho

WARNING: Corexit may affect genetic material. May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects based on animal test data.

The government states the dispersant Corexit 9500A is no more toxic than crude oil. Crude oil is toxic to humans above 11 parts per million and there are locations in the gulf showing 15-221 parts per million.

They say the combination of corexit and crude oil is more toxic than the oil itself. Many reports show they have no way of testing the levels of corexit and oil combined.

What about the health and safety of the public? Where does this leave the public?

They stated oil and corexit will not enter the food chain. Guess what they were wrong. The oil and corexit has entered the food chain in the Gulf of Mexico. They say it's safe to eat the seafood that clearly contains oil, if it contains oil it contains corexit. If the combination of oil and corexit is more toxic than oil alone, how can the seafood be safe to eat?

The EPA advised BP and the Coast Guard to limit the use of dispersants on top of the ocean due to ecological and possible health issues that may arise from its usage. BP and the Coast Guard ignored the EPA and sprayed hundreds of thousands of gallons of it above the surface of the ocean.

Many residents in the gulf say BP sprayed the dispersant close to the coastline and it made land fall making many of them ill. There have been many reports of cleanup workers becoming ill after they cleaned up oil containing Corexit. BP refused and continues to refuse to link the illnesses to the dispersant and its usage.

The Corexit 9500A material safety data sheet clearly states
WARNING
Combustible, Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Avoid breathing vapor. Use with adequate ventilation. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. After contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of soap and water.

ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS: Do not contaminate surface water

Corexit 9500 contains Propylene glycol

Propylene glycol msds
Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May affect genetic material. May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects based on animal test data.
It can be absorbed through the skin and cause systemic effects similar to those of ingestion, It may affect behavior/central nervous system depression, general anesthetic, convulsions, seizures, somnolence, stupor, muscle contraction or spasticity, coma), brain (changes in surface EEG), metabolism, blood (intravascular hemolysis, white blood cells- decreased neutrophil function), respiration (respiratory stimulation, chronic pulmonary edema, cyanosis), cardiovascular system(hypotension, bradycardia, arrhythmias, cardiac arrest), endocrine system (hypoglycemia), urinary system (kidneys), and liver.
Category:

Science & Technology

Just a FYI, Big Scoop is on the east coast of Florida, not the gulf......

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Just a FYI, Big Scoop is on the east coast of Florida, not the gulf

:thumbsup: got yeah

The bad news is that i was just reading(i'll have to look for the article again to post it) that they found fish as far as massachusetts contaminated with or dead from the stuff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red James cash said:
Just a FYI, Big Scoop is on the east coast of Florida, not the gulf

:thumbsup: got yeah

The bad news is that i was just reading(i'll have to look for the article again to post it) that they found fish as far as massachusetts contaminated with or dead from the stuff.

Well my baby making days are over and I do enjoy seafood, especially shrimp, osysters, and crabs....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Well my baby making days are over and I do enjoy seafood, especially shrimp, osysters, and crabs....

I know i love the seafood myself lol but i dont think this is included in just reproduction lol..........It may affect behavior/central nervous system depression, general anesthetic, convulsions, seizures, somnolence, stupor, muscle contraction or spasticity, coma), brain (changes in surface EEG), metabolism, blood (intravascular hemolysis, white blood cells- decreased neutrophil function), respiration (respiratory stimulation, chronic pulmonary edema, cyanosis), cardiovascular system(hypotension, bradycardia, arrhythmias, cardiac arrest), endocrine system (hypoglycemia), urinary system (kidneys), and liver.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll take the chance, too.

One point to be made - is that, you cannot sell a fish of any kind that is dead. (to the docks) So - it's not likely to get into you.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread