Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Pennsylvania (NE part) is all rocks, too. I don't believe it about the freezing and thawing. I think they grow up and have children!

One little "burb" we lived in was called "Stony Lonesome" - and I will never know why, because there wasn't a lonesome stone around!!!!! They all had lots of company.

Of course, Pennsylvanians just threw them all together and made stone walls out of them, but, by golly, after having a garden there for 20 years,
I STILL spent the first - and last - part of the year picking up rocks.

Here - in South Dakota - you cannot find a rock - you have to make your own out of cement. We have one nice tree, and I planted some plants
underneath it, and started to collect rocks to encircle it. I had to go BUY some rocks. No lie.

I figure the trade-off is fire-flies. We have none out here - and I miss them.

Beth

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Mrs Oroblanco, you do know your Pa. rocks. Whenever I plant fruit trees behind my house, all I dig out are rocks. I have to haul dirt in to fill the holes back in. In the late 1800's, my ancestors opened a stone quarry on top of the hill to lay sidewalks in town. Very rocky. And people still criticize me on this site for cracking my coil against rocks.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL funny title and had me wondering

rocks, got to PENNSYLVANIA we could not dig 3 inches without hitting boulders bigger than most people's homes. garden, hell no, you had to have a 'raised' bed.

put in a fence, ugh, $50 million dollars to hire someone to cut thru the rocks LOL LOL (well a little over priced--haha)

I hear ya tho.

Now I am in North Carolina. Rocks fine---Carolina RED CLAY is a friggin' nightmare

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had to plant in North Carolina red clay - but had lots of it in Virginia. Don't know if its the same stuff, though. Crumbly, concrete-like when wetted and then it dries - but, man - it was RICH in minerals and goodies.

Had to weed it every single day, though, and loosen the red soil from around crops, or else water wanted to run off instead of staying there.

Is North Carolina red clay like that?

Beth

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea pretty close to that
worst is when you track it onto your carpets LOL
nothing is safe! :)

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Pennsylvania (NE part) is all rocks, too. I don't believe it about the freezing and thawing. I think they grow up and have children!

One little "burb" we lived in was called "Stony Lonesome" - and I will never know why, because there wasn't a lonesome stone around!!!!! They all had lots of company.

Of course, Pennsylvanians just threw them all together and made stone walls out of them, but, by golly, after having a garden there for 20 years,
I STILL spent the first - and last - part of the year picking up rocks.

Here - in South Dakota - you cannot find a rock - you have to make your own out of cement. We have one nice tree, and I planted some plants
underneath it, and started to collect rocks to encircle it. I had to go BUY some rocks. No lie.

I figure the trade-off is fire-flies. We have none out here - and I miss them.

Beth
mrs.oroblanco, I could take you places in South Dakota where you cannot walk without having 4-5 agates, jaspers etc under feet at all times.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea pretty close to that
worst is when you track it onto your carpets LOL
nothing is safe! :)
FarmerChick, I grew up in Ga., I know what you mean, "red clay"!

When we would accidently track it on the carpets, mom would always say, "Leave it till it dries, then it'll vacuum right up".

Didn't hafta worry bout too many rocks, though. Well, cept maybe that BIG ONE up around Atlanta way! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread