What are you favorite most used spices when cooking?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
Fennel seed is good for most tomato based Italian sauces. It has a slight licorice flavor.
Also, I use cumin for most Mexican based dishes.

Ashleen,
Celery seed is a good flavor of celery without having to chop celery. I use it for egg salad, tuna salad, potato soup, potato salad and even sprinkle it on salads. :thumbsup:

Personally, I try to match the seasonings and spices to the dish I'm wanting to make.

One rule of using spices is that it is better to use not enough than to use too much.

Best,
Scott

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Mike,
Fennel seed is good for most tomato based Italian sauces. It has a slight licorice flavor.
Also, I use cumin for most Mexican based dishes.

Ashleen,
Celery seed is a good flavor of celery without having to chop celery. I use it for egg salad, tuna salad, potato soup, potato salad and even sprinkle it on salads. :thumbsup:

Personally, I try to match the seasonings and spices to the dish I'm wanting to make.

One rule of using spices is that it is better to use not enough than to use too much.

Best,
Scott

The mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce were hand picked fresh in the Florida pastures for their ......aaaaaaaaa lets say texture and flavor.... :tongue3:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
The mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce were hand picked fresh in the Florida pastures for their ......aaaaaaaaa lets say texture and flavor.... :tongue3:

Wink...
I was young once.....
Best enjoyed camping in the middle of nowhere.....

Best,
Scott

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Wink...
I was young once.....
Best enjoyed camping in the middle of nowhere.....

Best,
Scott

Yes camping was great, Disney World was a blast.......I use to make some really good kool aid..... ;D

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I got upset today because this women on TV was making a garlic spagetti and garlic potato soup. She also took the time to make a garlic bread (yeast- panale) and at the end of the show, she DID NOT show the bread!!!! I was so upset. (I'm a baker and I love baking bread)... I'm thinking they just completely forgot the most important part of it, or she BURNED IT!!!! I was so upset becuase that's why I stopped to watch the dang show when I was flipping channels). Also, BTW, I have a great recipe for the taste of 'wonder bread' if ya'll want it... it's not a secret. Just a really good tasting bread. (has dry potato flakes and sourdough in it).

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
I like to use Fennel seed to dress up meats and spaghetti sauce. Leaves a distinctive sweetness. Of course fresh garlic is always there. Celery seed is probably my second favorite. Oh, and red-pepper of course. I think cilantro is best when it's not going to be fried (like a salad), but cumin is also good when creating a 'earthy' taste (Indian food, etc).

alot to read here LOL

CAJUN
I love spicy hot cajun.!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
My hubby! He is well seasoned and loves to BBQ and Fry fish. It always is most outstanding...We both love the peppers! Makes smoke come out your ears.

Tee,
I'm sure that anything your main squeeze would make is beyond words!
Wish I could sample some....

Best Wishes,
Scott

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
texastee2007 said:
My hubby! He is well seasoned and loves to BBQ and Fry fish. It always is most outstanding...We both love the peppers! Makes smoke come out your ears.

....and if you haven't had it in a while, your ears isn't the only place you'll be reminded of how much you love it.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Saffron is my favorite in any rice dishes. A packet of onion soup mix makes an awesome meatloaf. Another good meatloaf is a trick I learned in the restaurant, we had leftover stovetop stuffing and I used it instead of bread crumbs. I still make it that way at home sometimes. I like to use fresh onion and garlic when I can but just about any hamburgers for the grill or the skillet get salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

Liquid smoke goes in about every meat marinade I make. There is also an Albert's Steak Sauce Marinade that comes in a packet but instead of just mixing it with water use 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice. The citric acid will break down the toughest cut of steak and the flavor is great. They need to soak in the fridge for at least a full day but 2 or 3 days is even better. Now I made myself hungry, lol.

Charlie

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
savant365 said:
Saffron is my favorite in any rice dishes. A packet of onion soup mix makes an awesome meatloaf. Another good meatloaf is a trick I learned in the restaurant, we had leftover stovetop stuffing and I used it instead of bread crumbs. I still make it that way at home sometimes. I like to use fresh onion and garlic when I can but just about any hamburgers for the grill or the skillet get salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

Liquid smoke goes in about every meat marinade I make. There is also an Albert's Steak Sauce Marinade that comes in a packet but instead of just mixing it with water use 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice. The citric acid will break down the toughest cut of steak and the flavor is great. They need to soak in the fridge for at least a full day but 2 or 3 days is even better. Now I made myself hungry, lol.

Charlie
I hope you don't mind if I steel this idea from you. Sounds very good.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saffron is an item of great cost. To put on rice?

No need to be "exotic."
The need is to be economical yet pleasing to the palate.
Simple spices and seasonings are apropos.
The ability to know what spice and exactly how much goes with what dish is paramount! :thumbsup:
If anyone wants advice, please ask before making a mistake!

Best Wishes,
Scott

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
AU24K said:

No need to be "exotic."
The ability to know what spice and exactly how much goes with what dish is paramount! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,
Scott
Sorry Scott... I'm going to try this saffron bit, just for the experience. I'm hoping it won't cost too much, but if it does, I'll probably buy it anyway for a 1 timer thing. Anything to get the yummy-ness of a new recipe.... And also potentially a new female 'acquaintance'. (just that word alone will give rise to not only a good date while cooking for her, but an excellent dessert as well). (((hint hint))))

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
Sometimes ya just gotta get exotic! :thumbsup:
(Been a few years for me.....)

Hope it works for ya! :wink:

Best,
Scott

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
mikeofaustin said:
AU24K said:

No need to be "exotic."

Best Wishes,
Scott
Sorry Scott... I'm going to try this saffron bit, just for the experience. I'm hoping it won't cost too much, but if it does, I'll probably buy it anyway for a 1 timer thing. Anything to get the yummy-ness of a new recipe.... And also potentially a new female 'acquaintance'. (just that word alone will give rise to not only a good date while cooking for her, but an excellent dessert as well). (((hint hint))))

Yes saffron is very expensive but a little bit goes a long way and it is so worth the cost for the experience. I don't order prime rib or fillet mignon every time I go out to eat but once in a while it's worth it.

P

pastorals

Nothing too exotic. My favorites are Oregano and garlic.

Alan

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saffron, huh. I musta got some old stuff. I can't help thinking, that gotta be one heck of a job, deflowering all them crocuses.

Just about everything in my house gets a healthy dose of Garlic, Thyme, Italian, Oregano, and pepper seasoning.

Mojo+seasoning for meat.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin, when my big Colorado primitive camp out with all Tnet members comes together someday, you're the cook, hoss. I was once noted for my frybread cookin ability, but it's a little difficult at this altitude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread