What are you favorite most used spices when cooking? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

Re: What are you favorite most used spices when cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    I have come to love the various seasoning you put on meats before you cook them, especially love the Weber Kansas City seasoning. I now put it on all my food, soups, veggies, I use it instead of salt.....
    This reminded me of something that people often do (not you, but some people). it's important to know exactly when to add the spices, because too soon, and they'll just burn off during the cooking. For example, I wait until ground beef is about 3/4's cooked before I start adding garlic and other's... They'll just burn if you put them in too soon.

us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco
    I'm Sicilian so I'd have to say ALL of them lol.

My grandmother would LOVE you!

I spent Sundays watching my grandmother pour 10 pounds (or more) of flour on the old wooden table, make a hole in it, crack eggs into the
    hole, make dough, and all kinds of pastas, then spent the rest of the day ducking pasta hanging and drying in the house.

Of course, there was a huge pot of sauce simmering on the stove, and Sunday dinner was always hand-made ravioli (huge things), complete with salad, italian bread and that darned gallon of wine. (all persons young and old must drink - "its good for da blood" said my grandfather).

Ah................memories.

Beth
    But I hate that kind of wine
    I actually make my own pasta from time to time, and you'd be surprised at the reactions I get from friends that taste the difference between fresh and packaged (I guess that goes with all food's though). One of my favorites, is to make my own pasta AND homemade Alfredo sauce. It's to die for. You simply can't create that same taste inside a jar.

us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

You know what? I think that the good people of t-net, that have followed this link so far, are entitled to a little secret I have. It's a secret recipe from a very acclaimed restaurant, and they make quite a lot of money from this recipe alone. It's a sauce that's added to mostly breakfast tacos, but it also goes very well with other foods as a sauce. My friends... Here we go.... (Please treat these as a secret and don't spread).

EDIT: I actually came to my senses and removed the recipes from public view. If you would like these two recipes, please PM me. This stuff should not be made public. But please, understand that you should not show this stuff to the general public. It's not a legal issue, but more of a moral issue. Just like your recipe for your garden potting soul that grows the greatest tomatoes should be made public. It's not trademarked, but instead, it takes a person that appreicates the arts and would use this to bring family members back to grandma's house for christmas, because they absolutely love the breakfast tacos. I guess, in other words, lets not make this into a recipe that some big corporation can get a hold of.

us
    Dec 2006
    Combine
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
    73 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

"Slap Ya Mama" when I'm in a hurry. My own mix when I have time.
    Not all who wander are lost - Some of us are simply confused. (Apologies to J.R.R. Tolkein's memory)

GARRETT / FISHER / TEKNETICS
    www.anthonysdetectors.com
    anthonysdetectors@live.com
    214-499-2530
    The very best in American made detection equipment!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30394 times

Quote Originally Posted by ThTx
    "Slap Ya Mama" when I'm in a hurry. My own mix when I have time.
    I use to have a couple "special" ingredients I used, 2 for my brownies and a different one for my sauces, but I haven't been able to use them for years due to work restrictions....

PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    390 times

Well, as least it takes care of the "munchies" at the same time.................

B
    "Irony is the rule"

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8845 times

Mike,
    Fennel seed is good for most tomato based Italian sauces. It has a slight licorice flavor.
    Also, I use cumin for most Mexican based dishes.

Ashleen,
    Celery seed is a good flavor of celery without having to chop celery. I use it for egg salad, tuna salad, potato soup, potato salad and even sprinkle it on salads.

Personally, I try to match the seasonings and spices to the dish I'm wanting to make.

One rule of using spices is that it is better to use not enough than to use too much.

Best,
    Scott
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30394 times

Quote Originally Posted by AU24K
    Mike,
    Fennel seed is good for most tomato based Italian sauces. It has a slight licorice flavor.
    Also, I use cumin for most Mexican based dishes.

Ashleen,
    Celery seed is a good flavor of celery without having to chop celery. I use it for egg salad, tuna salad, potato soup, potato salad and even sprinkle it on salads.

Personally, I try to match the seasonings and spices to the dish I'm wanting to make.

One rule of using spices is that it is better to use not enough than to use too much.

Best,
    Scott
    The mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce were hand picked fresh in the Florida pastures for their ......aaaaaaaaa lets say texture and flavor....

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8845 times

The mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce were hand picked fresh in the Florida pastures for their ......aaaaaaaaa lets say texture and flavor....
    Wink...
    I was young once.....
    Best enjoyed camping in the middle of nowhere.....

Best,
    Scott
    CAN YA DIG IT?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    30394 times

Quote Originally Posted by AU24K

Wink...
    I was young once.....
    Best enjoyed camping in the middle of nowhere.....

Best,
    Scott
    Yes camping was great, Disney World was a blast.......I use to make some really good kool aid.....

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    1052 times

I like adabo with pepper, goes with almost anything

us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

I got upset today because this women on TV was making a garlic spagetti and garlic potato soup. She also took the time to make a garlic bread (yeast- panale) and at the end of the show, she DID NOT show the bread!!!! I was so upset. (I'm a baker and I love baking bread)... I'm thinking they just completely forgot the most important part of it, or she BURNED IT!!!! I was so upset becuase that's why I stopped to watch the dang show when I was flipping channels). Also, BTW, I have a great recipe for the taste of 'wonder bread' if ya'll want it... it's not a secret. Just a really good tasting bread. (has dry potato flakes and sourdough in it).

us
    Jul 2010
    Texas
    Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    8 times

GoodShi*/SpecialShi* are real good products to use....AwShi* is a little spicy but still wonderful to use !

http://www.specialshi*.com/products.htm

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." Ronald Reagan

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    145 times

Quote Originally Posted by mikeofaustin
    I like to use Fennel seed to dress up meats and spaghetti sauce. Leaves a distinctive sweetness. Of course fresh garlic is always there. Celery seed is probably my second favorite. Oh, and red-pepper of course. I think cilantro is best when it's not going to be fried (like a salad), but cumin is also good when creating a 'earthy' taste (Indian food, etc).
    alot to read here LOL

CAJUN
    I love spicy hot cajun.!

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    8845 times

Quote Originally Posted by texastee2007
    My hubby! He is well seasoned and loves to BBQ and Fry fish. It always is most outstanding...We both love the peppers! Makes smoke come out your ears.
    Tee,
    I'm sure that anything your main squeeze would make is beyond words!
    Wish I could sample some....

Best Wishes,
    Scott
    CAN YA DIG IT?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links