powers of observation

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Powers of observation, some have it, some don't, but it is really an acquired skill. You have to force yourself to do it then it becomes second nature. You begin to pick up the little things that others miss. Take commercials, they are designed to pin your attention on their product. Try this the next time you watch one. Watch the body language. The up and down movement of the heads makes them look like dashboard dolls.
I was watching a flag burning and riot in one of the Arab nations and noted several people on the edge of the screen yawning and I knew it was staged. Then there are the little things. I picked up my butter knife and realized that it was slightly bent to the right from spreading butter with my right hand. Look at the people on TV. what wrist are they wearing their watch on. Usually if it is the left wrist , they are righthanded. You can tell the same thing by handing something to somebody. They will instinctively reach with their strong hand. Watch people walking. You can usually tell if they have a hip or back problem. The CIA has many trained observers. They watch the terror tapes, but what they are looking for is info. in the background to indicate the location, or people that might appear in the background.
OK lets hear some others. Frank

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if you are really observant you may notice that on some butter knives you will never be able to tell if the person is a right handed, or left handed :laughing7:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=X&biw=1366&bih=578&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&itbs=1

Handing an object to someone "may" only be valid if the person has 2 hands free... His strong one may be busy and he may reach with the weaker one... Could even be visa versa :tongue3: Reaching may only be a choice of convenience at the time.

texastee2007 said:
you are so right...watch a politician try and sell you on an idea while all the while shaking their head no. Or a couple leaning away from each other. Or when someone folds their arms up tightly against their chest!

Someone holding their arms close to their chest may also be the sign of a heart attack :laughing9:

Shoot me some real observations, like being able to count the dimples on a golf ball by a glance. :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a fact in my point of veiw --some folks just seem to be walking around "mentally sleep" -- seemingly blind to all thats going on around them ( these folks are what I call "sheeple" and as a rule are easily "lead" --often it seems likely their not very bright or well educated ) --while other folks seem to be "fully awake" (these folks often tend to "lead others" for better or worse -- and seem to be a bit more mentally alert and are often better educated )

some folks can not see "the forest" because all those trees are in their way.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm,, lead and lead... Same spelling, different pronunciation, and opposite meaning :icon_scratch:

Is that an observation, or not :dontknow: :laughing9:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my grandfather taught me how to "track" things -- I had to start off with a ant of all things ....... :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

first lesson was "be patient"

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Saw a program on this stuff. 20 people were asked to count how many times a basketball was passed between guys wearing yellow shirts. Other guys in black shirts were just walking around. Most of them counted between 20 and 22 passes. Only 1 of the 20 spotted something odd during counting. 19 of them totally missed a guy in a monkey suit walk onscreen,wave, and walk off! :laughing9:

The same kind of thing can happen to us when detecting on the beach. We can become so focused on coins,rings etc and where the coil is that we totally miss or ignore the $20 bill blowing past!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dano, the heck with the $20 bill, I am watching the people around me while I am detecting, especially if there are few. Frank

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of it has to do with how you train and focus your mind over the years. For instance, when metal detecting on the beach I may miss the $20 bill laying on the sand, but I never miss a skimpy bikini or thong. Wish I could reteach my mind now that I'm older, these days I'd rather see the $20. At least I know I stand a fair chance of picking the $20 up. :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wire twist ties on a loaf of bread come from the bakery twisted in a clockwise direction. If the loaf is opened and then resealed by a right-hander it will still be in a clockwise direction. A left-hander will "usually" twist it counter clockwise when resealing.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My observation is that icon of yours with the "thumbs up" is nicely manicured, loose fisted and wrinckled. :laughing7: Doesn't appear to be a hand of someone that does hard, physical labor.

Just my observation. :thumbsup:

Al

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask a cop. When we used to interview folks and they peppered their statements with 'to tell the truth' or 'to be totally honest' we automatically figured they were lying. And they usually were.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
The police, during questioning, will also watch for a persons eyes flicking to the right as they start to answer. This generally signifies a lie.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
I dunno Packer mate..those guys at Miami ink must be laughing all the way to the bank! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Deepskyal, Your observations were correct for the time it was taken. Just trimmed the nails, 73 years of wrinkles and doing a lot of photography work at the time, but that hand has laid thousands of brick, blocks and pieces of stone, it has completely rebuilt engines, it has completely rebuilt electronic, mechanical, and photographic equipment, It has planted 40 acres of hay or corn in a day, it has installed C band satellite equipment it has built 3 houses, so you might say it is at the age where it is taking a rest. Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Deepskyal, Your observations were correct for the time it was taken. Just trimmed the nails, 73 years of wrinkles and doing a lot of photography work at the time, but that hand has laid thousands of brick, blocks and pieces of stone, it has completely rebuilt engines, it has completely rebuilt electronic, mechanical, and photographic equipment, It has planted 40 acres of hay or corn in a day, it has installed C band satellite equipment it has built 3 houses, so you might say it is at the age where it is taking a rest. Frank

Yea...I'm good...lol

Sounds like you deserve the R&R. :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Al

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, it has never caressed those long, lovely, sexy ears on a beautiful mule, nor scratched those itchy spots where loose tacks on the saddle have been rubbing, nor held a delicious part of a roasted young female at a cannibal's party, nor held the helm of a small sailing boat in a howling North Easter, nor removed the rock guarding the entrance to that lost Mayan tomb so that Indiana Jones could enter to investgate, nor --, sigh get back to work kiddy, quit goofing off and get those fingernails broken and dirty !.

What kind of photography? Rebuilding engines or revamping them? Do they still use home "C" sat systems? What size ant did you use?

Don Jose de La Mancha

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're probably right dano but that's a handful of folks. I said "most". PS...........just 'cause you can deposit some money doesn't mean you're "bright" either. The first thing I think of when I see people with a body full of tattoos is the comic strip in the newspaper or maybe the graffiti on freight cars.
Don't know about where you're at but dumba$$ kids spray our freight cars (train cars) with stupid looking "gang" signs. Just another group of social morons we have here. It is so prevelent that, if you have a model train, the cars don't look right without a bunch of spray can lettering on them. They even sell decals that mimic the graffiti to put on your models to make them more realistic.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is this one commercial on TV that has been running for several years now, there has probably been 7 or 8 different versions of the same theme. It is for a company that is selling a home security system. It always shows a white male breaking into a house with the wife and daughter screeming on the verge of panic. Every version has had a white male depicted as the burglar breaking the window or front door. Why do they never depict a female breaking in or a male of another race? Political correctness ? Why not show a hispanic, asian, or a black male breaking into a house? It's always a white guy. I guess it is permissable to demonize the white male, but not anyone else?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions