Cougars In The Workplace And This Ones No Lady (PICS!)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cougars In The Workplace And This One's No Lady (PICS!)

Although as yet unconfirmed, we have what has been reported as a fairly large mountain lion coming out of the woods behind my workplace and crossing one of our employee lanes. It has been spotted numerous times in the late evening and early morning hours and was finally captured on video. The entire complex is abuzz and my days are now spent fielding questions from executives, managers, and employees about the 'big cat', (I'm the site security supervisor)

We have had Conservation agents out to look around and gave them a DVD of the murky video to forward to their wildlife biologist for verification. The most important detail they are looking for is the slender elongated tail that would positively identify it. If they believe it to be a mountain lion, they will strap a wildlife cam to one of our trees to observe it.

Just yesterday it was reported that there are now TWO of these critters. Sometimes they are together, sometimes it's the wee one most likely being taught the ways of the hunt by mama who's probably very close by.
If this turns out to be a mountain lion, or two, it will become a media circus around here.
Below are stills from the vid but cropped so as not to show identifying landmarks or company names. The animal approaches the lane from the right and crosses into the shadow. One of our alert guys was waiting in his car for it and hit the critter with his high beams which you can see in the stills. It looked over, freaked out and was gone in a flash.

Attachments

• cat01.jpg
    cat01.jpg
    934 bytes · Views: 470
  • cat02.jpg
    cat02.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 455
  • cat03.jpg
    cat03.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 445
  • cat1SMALL.jpg
    cat1SMALL.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 512
  • cat2SMALL.jpg
    cat2SMALL.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 489
  • cat3SMALL.jpg
    cat3SMALL.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 499
  • CAT5SMALL.jpg
    CAT5SMALL.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 472

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cougars In The Workplace And This One's No Lady (PICS!)

Never saw one in the wild, but I've been in the wild with them; they've seen me at least twice. Creepy.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

I'd be watching where i walked :laughing7: .I've read that cougars can jump 30 feet horizontally, you wont know what hit you.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Apparently this one did a pretty good leap when it was hit with the headlights. The Conservation agent says as long as there are rabbits and squirrels around, we should be fine. Trouble is, there are no more rabbits or squirrels hanging around.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red James cash said:
I'd be watching where i walked :laughing7: .I've read that cougars can jump 30 feet horizontally, you wont know what hit you.

Yeah, I know. They're ambush hunters. I pack a 44 Mag out there, but that's no help if you've no time to use it.

Still, after a lifetime of hunting and outdoor life, I've come to the conclusion that dangerous wildlife knows when you're a threat or not. If they're hunted, they're more careful. If not, they are bolder and tend to consider us as prey.

I believe that many of the attacks wouldn't have happened if they'd been hunted.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

that's a pretty populated area. what a surprise. my neighbor found a calf dragged up a tree a few yrs back. conservation agents said we don't have cougars, but what else would drag a calf up a tree? bears eat on the ground. then I saw one last fall. ran in front of my car & the headlights caught her perfectly. they are huge. was glad to be in the car. there have also been 2 sightings of elk in the castor river bottoms. don't know about you, but I am glad to have these beautiful animals making a come back.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

The Conservation agent says as long as there are rabbits and squirrels around, we should be fine

Did anybody tell that to the cougar :sign10:

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texastee2007 said:
sorry, all I can see is some very small blurry pictures. When I increase the size...all I see is a blur, it could even be a house cat.....can you please post bigger pictures? I'd love to see him. Lack of wildlife is a indicator you may have one.

I'm afraid that's all I have. The wildlife biologist is probably thinking the same thing after looking at the four second clip on a DVD. It has been seen by several people late at night but most descriptions are of what it's NOT, instead of what it is.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Thats kind of like the conservation officers saying theres no big cats in the white mountains in new hampshire. They still say it even though my brother saw a cougar sitting on his dumpster when pulling into his driveway after dark. I guess the cats dont know that theyre not suppose to be in the white mountains :sign10:

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Texastee2007, thanks for the pic. The Conservation agent said the animal's back or spine area in our video was too straight to be a cat. I can see the cats back on your pic is straight as an arrow. I knew he didn't have a clue.

S

stefen

Had a large cat cross my trail in the back country...needless to say Señor, my horse, did a 180 degree end-for-end switcheroo in mid air...my sphinter kept me attached to the saddle for damn sure...

Not an experience worthy of repeating... :coffee2:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stefen said:
Had a large cat cross my trail in the back country...needless to say Señor, my horse, did a 180 degree end-for-end switcheroo in mid air...my sphinter kept me attached to the saddle for damn sure...

Not an experience worthy of repeating... :coffee2:

LOL! :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GopherDaGold what kind of scam are you trying to run here :laughing7: Just leave the scams to professionals :tongue3:

Now I have been looking at those pictures for 3 straight hours and there is nothing the even resembles a cougar... Actually, it looks more like a mutated giant praying mantis :tongue3: Go back and modify your story to an invasion of giant mutant praying mantises :thumbsup:

M

MiniMe

Cougars In The Workplace And This One's No Lady

:o Wow OMG you scared me....thought for sure I'd see a picture of a person I know who plays that roll to a T who sticks her nose so high in the air when she walks that if the wind blows to hard she'd probably end up in another state. Throws temper tanrums to get attention and then pulls out the harrassment card and holds it over men when they don't give her what she wants....ugggg pure trash, but the blunt of our jokes all the time....at least we get a laugh out of it....LOL.

Your pictures are so much better than what I invisioned. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread