im sick and tired of the parks department around here

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
diggummup said:
Check this out if you have adobe reader:http://www.co.new-castle.de.us/purchRFP/home/fileuploads/images/loi_june06/l-001%20letter%20of%20interest%20-%20jester%20house.pdf Seems they are trying to turn the old house into a bed&breakfast or worse.

Y'know, you could print out that pdf file - and the email - and head to the local desk at the newspaper. BEsides, if it's so "dangerous," why the heck are they trying to sell the place, eh? Gov't, sheesh

HH
Nan

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Go to the paper.

Surprise the lady.

It would be fun to get a photo of her face when a reporter shows up unexpectedly and asks: "Why do you not want to allow a taxpayer to go into a public park when they have the legal right to do so?"
;D

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very surprised when I called my Selectman and he gave me permission to do town own land.
He just said go for it. LOL

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
no dig, i just decided to let sleeping dogs lie. i easilycould cause a big stink about this one by going to the paper and all, but i dont think id be doing myself any favors in the long run. she would just have her grounds crews kick me out of every park they saw me in. im just not going to ask her permission anymore before hunting any county parks. armed with a copy of the county code i shouldnt have any problems.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been having the same kind of luck this year too. Getting kicked out of places that I have hunted for 30 years.
It must be something in the water. :D
The park I have been detecting has been all tore up for most of the summer, but the park people still won't let anyone detect there. I think they are afraid we might find too much. I have considered going to the local newspaper and see if they want to do an article on the dozens and dozens of pre 1900 coins we found there before getting kicked out.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
no dig, i just decided to let sleeping dogs lie. i easilycould cause a big stink about this one by going to the paper and all, but i dont think id be doing myself any favors in the long run. she would just have her grounds crews kick me out of every park they saw me in. im just not going to ask her permission anymore before hunting any county parks. armed with a copy of the county code i shouldnt have any problems.
go dig the county court building thats public property then if/when they try to hook you up have a buddy video tape it.then pitch your biatch...youre to laid back home boy id be rattling cages...

O

Ole Mole

go dig the county court building thats public property then if/when they try to hook you up have a buddy video tape it.then pitch your biatch...youre to laid back home boy id be rattling cages...
[/quote]

I agree and said pretty much said the same thing in an above post.
Do not let the Ol' Bitty (no relation to Ol' Mole ;D ) run you out. Stand your ground and go straight to her boss with her in tow. People in these public offices think that they have so much power in their little finger. Heck she probably is not an elected official and can / could be easily replaced. Like I said in my above response "She is a public servant who works for not just you , but the entire community."

Put that dog back in her cage.

Attachments

• Fight Fight.gif
    Fight Fight.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 236
F

ferrouser

After dark

Go in after dark, but inform the Police officers patrolling locally. If they ask why after dark, say its cooler, and you don't have a dozen kids following you around.

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm not sure how different 'things' are where you are compared to where I am. I may have just shot myself in the foot, I just emailed the county I live in and asked which parks are open to metal detecting. I made sure that I mentioned (especially since I'm in FL) that I am aware of the laws pertaining to State owned land, and that I would practice proper etiquette by covering all holes and picking up any trash I find. I'm waiting to see what they say. I'm still searching for the municipal codes like was listed for your county, but haven't found anything yet.

S

sendin

I would go to a county board meeting and talk to a few people to see which board member might be the 'friendly ear.' Then I would show him the written response you received in person and tell him you don't think county citizens should be treated this way by public servants. You should be standing there with other people around and with about two or three of your detector friends standing right there looking him in the eye. I wouldn't even address the issue of permission at this point, but rather make it a matter of one his lackeys acting like a master instead of the lowly servant that they are. The public pays so the servants have to respect them. Tell him you don't want to make a big deal out of this, but you'd hate to hear about this person treating some other citizen in this fashion. If he doesn't do something, then get it added as an agenda item and invite the local newspaper.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimber23539 said:
I'm not sure how different 'things' are where you are compared to where I am. I may have just shot myself in the foot, I just emailed the county I live in and asked which parks are open to metal detecting. I made sure that I mentioned (especially since I'm in FL) that I am aware of the laws pertaining to State owned land, and that I would practice proper etiquette by covering all holes and picking up any trash I find. I'm waiting to see what they say. I'm still searching for the municipal codes like was listed for your county, but haven't found anything yet.
Let me know what county your in,i'll find 'em for you if you can't. ;) BTW-county laws and city laws are different too.I can detect city parks in Hollywood and a couple other nearby cities,but I can't detect county parks in Broward,which is where Hollywood and the others are located.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever considered going under the cover of darkness - blue lens flashlight and camo fatigues? Just a thought - - - I once knew of a man ::) who made some decent midnight finds.

Attachments

• Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 147

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Why not send a copy of her emails to he boss ? Have some one else ask the same questions you did,and if they they get the same rude comments,that's just more ammo for you.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you were a group of illegal aliens leaving your dirty diapers and beer bottles all over the place they would
have welcomed you with open arms. Our California parks are overrun with these invaders.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
If you were a group of illegal aliens....

BINGO!!!

Next time you send an email to her, use broken, pigeon English and tell her you're in the country illegally. You haven't gotten your gov't subsidy yet and are looking for loose change so you can afford to import the rest of your family and buy that nice apartment building near the liquor store...at a HUD price, of course. You know the one....they use the high security door knob as a door stop when they circulate their curb-side furniture from the livingroom to the parking lot.
You'll have that permit so fast, you'll have to wait to use it because the ink will still be wet!

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Arakronn said:
If you were a group of illegal aliens....

BINGO!!!

Next time you send an email to her, use broken, pigeon English and tell her you're in the country illegally. You haven't gotten your gov't subsidy yet and are looking for loose change so you can afford to import the rest of your family and buy that nice apartment building near the liquor store...at a HUD price, of course. You know the one....they use the high security door knob as a door stop when they circulate their curb-side furniture from the livingroom to the parking lot.
You'll have that permit so fast, you'll have to wait to use it because the ink will still be wet!

Not only that,but they will have to pay you for your services. Illeagle's have got to pay for that new Hummer.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
diggitdoggie said:
Some people are so rude it's beyond comprehension.
There are a lot of good suggestions here but I guess I would say, when the mountain is too tall and steep to climb, try going around it.
Is there no one else in that office who would be able to give you permission to TH?
No other co-workers, her boss?

This sounds simplistic but I have found the following to be true when communicating with people like that.

Play ignorant and let them "guide" you to the correct parties and information.

Sounds stupid..but it works.

DD

man, this thread got a lot of mileage! ;D this all happened a long time ago, but what i wound up doing was ignoring her, and i no longer ask for her permission. if its a county park with no legitimate restrictions (ie archeological digs, etc) i hunt it. screw her crappy attitude and her "you have to make reservations to use the park" crap. if i raised hell about it, i would probably only succeed in getting detecting banned from all of the county parks around here. no sense in stirring the pot in this instance. i have continued to hunt county parks and have never once had a problem. this woman is just a serious a-hole! thanks for the support everyone. i really needed it when all of this went down. :)

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
diggitdoggie said:
Sorry 'bout the late timing.
I have never heard "you have to make reservations to use the park" before..that's ludicruous in the extreme.lol

DD

yeah! she wanted me to call her and let her know what day and what time i was going to be detecting and when i would be finished every time i wanted to go. and to add insult to injury, most of the time she would tell me that it wasnt a good time because the park would be busy with people then. im convinced she was just screwing with me since no one else ever has to make a reservation to use a public park. she was truley a s#@! head!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hollow,
You might remember last summer I was told to leave a city park that was totally dug up with heavy equipment. The reason was of a park regulation that prohibits removal and/or destruction of vegetation within the park. (The only vegetation in the entire park were weeds that grew up since the dozer scraped 6" of the sod). They even cut down every tree in the park. ???
The Officer who made me leave even told me that they don't enforce the ordinance unless someone calls and complains. I said "who would complain about someone detecting in piles of dug up dirt"?
He was sympathetic, but had to respond to the complaint.
So who made the complaint? The Officer said it was a local guy with a detector who had been there before the park was dug up and evidently created a problem on more then one occasion to where the Officer had to warn him not to return or risk getting arrested. This guy must have seen me detecting and decided that if he couldn't detect there, nobody could. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread