Best Advice You Never Listened To?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best advice was given to me by my Mom.
The worst advice comes from about 9 of the 10 voices in my head.
Any questions?
Didn't think so....

Best,
Scott

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
"Never smoke!" .....meh! ::)

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 18 my father told me, "Put 10% of everything you make into a savings and you'll retire rich". I didn't do it, and I recently did the math to see what I might have had today...........someone give me a gun! :laughing7:

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
I grew up up 4 doors down from my Grandma, and heard my MOM tell us boys many times over the years, "Don't buy a house close to your parents" . Well, I bought a house 4 doors down from my parents, and whenever i have the kids at her house, i make it a point to say "don't buy a house close to your parents! Mom gets a chuckle now! ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about you, but I have followed more advice that I should have ignored :laughing9:

Not that friends, or relatives meant to give bad advise, sometimes it just wasn't best one could offer. When you think about it, advise is just an opinion and everyone has one of those :tongue3:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
When you think about it, advise is just an opinion and everyone has one of those :tongue3:

I don't know about that,.....doctors, lawyers, accountants, a few other various professional people, sometimes it's way more then an opinion. :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
I don't know about that,.....doctors, lawyers, accountants, a few other various professional people, sometimes it's way more then an opinion. :laughing7:

Oh, but you're so wrong there :laughing9:

Doctors and lawyers "practice", when they get it right... then, and only then will I hear their opinion :laughing7:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I did almost nothing I was advised to do. So I'd say just about every bit of advice my parents gave me I wish I would have heeded.

But the biggest one of all was "son, save your money." I had the income of an adult when I was 13 years old. I bought a nice car when I was 15 and couldn't drive it by myself until I was 16. I had the best Browning shotguns, just about every toy one could think of. I always had a crowd by me at school because I had the wheels.

I threw money away left and right. When I was in my early 30's I once wasted nearly $30,000 on stupid gambles. That was 33+ years ago and 30 Gs was a lot of money back then.

If I had listened to my parents and invested I would have well over a million dollars in the bank today. Instead I only have $876,000. WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN? :(

:laughing7:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shucks. Mi mommy always told me "never marry for looks son, after a few years they go away and you have to live with the rest".
Fortunately she was wrong on one count ---

I married for looks, and got a surprise winner in a wonderful gal. Momy, my doggie & mule loved her. sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Advice that was given, that we now wished we would have listened to?

How much bandwidth can I have?

One guy told me to buy as much silver as I could afford. I opted to listen to several people that said "Silver will never be worth anything. It is only $5 an ounce, and there is so much of it in the world that humans could never consume it all."

Another guy told me to save just $100 a month, and buy dividend yielding stocks, and reinvest those dividends into more dividend paying stocks. If I would have done that when I was 20, I would be a fairly well to do man right now. Not rich, but very comfortable. $100 was a bunch of money when I was 20, and it didn't ease up for many years after that.

I also should have listened to myself when the market crashed in 2008. I was just too chicken to do any real buying with our savings. If I would have pushed everything we had into the market on stocks that I had picked, I would have never had to work another day in my life.

Last but not least:

I had some health issues that had been going on for many years, and went and saw many doctors. They all told me there was nothing wrong, and "that is how everyone feels as they get older." I also listened to my family, who agreed, and were the worst critics of my health. "You've just let yourself go, and you've gotten lazy" they said.

It turns out that I had a large tumor in my head. That tumor eventually cost me my business, thousands of dollars, and ultimately, it almost took my life. I was easily within a few months, if not weeks, of dying before it was diagnosed.

If you feel like something is wrong with your heath, listen to yourself, and go see doctors until you get it resolved. You know your health better than anyone else!!!!!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I also listened to a lot of bad advice that I wish I had ignored.

Back just before houses became almost worthless, I had this house buyers would pay $225,000 to get. Our kids heard of it and threw this big fit about me throwing away part of our retirement security. So I didn't sell.

Today I might get $125,000 for that same house. That's a lose of $100,000 plus $3,500 a year (6 years now) I would have saved not paying taxes on the place (lake house). Funny how the kids are now quiet. Oh well, I blame myself. I was buying and selling real estate when they were in diapers and sucking on pacifiers.

I could make a long list of these types of things.

Rule No.1. follow your instincts. If you screw up at least in was your own decision.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the start of the 80s I was debating majoring in Computer Science. My dad said that computers had a terrible future. Although I do not know how I would sit inside all day now.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gord said:
Don't do that! Many times.

Amen to that. Even worse "You Can't Do That!" ... oh yeah!
BB

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
actually it was my brother --poor fellow. ---he was told don't pee over there.* --which he promptly did --cuz no one tells him what to do * ( what was not not said at the time was "because there is a "hot" electric ground wire over there , to prevent the hogs from rooting out")--- dang that had to hurt :o but boy was it sure was funny to see. (so long it it was him and not me) :tongue3:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
ivan salis said:
actually it was my brother --poor fellow. ---he was told don't pee over there.* --which he promptly did --cuz no one tells him what to do * ( what was not not said at the time was "because there is a "hot" electric ground wire over there , to prevent the hogs from rooting out")--- dang that had to hurt :o but boy was it sure was funny to see. (so long it it was him and not me) :tongue3:
Been there , done that as a peckerheaded 10 yr old wearing wet 'tenner shoes'. Believe me ! It is
more amusing to tell about in my later years than it was to experience it .
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions