mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
had tornado warnings & lost power all at the same time. so I'm running around trying to find the flashlights, candles & lighter, while trying to gather up my skittish cat w/ VERY sharp claws, & get the dogs inside to take them all to the basement w/ me. finally got all together when kitty uses my chest as a launch pad. as she goes flying so do the things I've gathered in my arms, which scares the dogs, which causes them to turn tail & run for the barn, (cept for the small dog, she decides being under my feet is the best place to be) I finally give up on the animals cuz I'm hearing trees fly by & a huge flash of light from my neighbors 1/4 mile up the road. I finally make it to the basement, but can't leave well enuf alone, & run out to chk out the storm. while I'm up I gather kitty up again, this time wrapped firmly in a thick sweater, & open the door for the dogs to find their way in if they want & decide I better get my medicine just in case. after 'bout 1/2 hr in the corner of the dungeon, with my wet scared dogs & cat, it's calm enuf to go back up. still more warnings, & thunder every few seconds but the wind isn't throwing the forest around any more. so I gather my things, & head to bed, with my weather radio. this morn I look outside to find the big cedar on the barn's lean-to (now it's really a lean to). & see that the neighbors new barn is missing the roof. find the vent fans down the road, & trees down everywhere. but for all the fury of the storm, there is very little damage. I feel blessed to have come out of it unscathed 'cept for some gouges from kitty.
& thats the storm news from Marquand, MO sorry my kiddren has my camera.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Wild ride indeed mamabear! so glad you're ok. It's a heartache/dilemma what to do about the pets, isn't it? I'll protect them if I can, but not at the expense of human safety. cats are a problem, the dogs seem to want to stay with you, cats want to run.

naturegirl

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Wow Mamabear-glad to hear you're okay. I'm sure that was scary.
One thing I always keep on hand is glow sticks. They keep forever and put out a good light, plus you don't have to worry about batteries or getting burned by flames. Came in real handy last year when we lost our power.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Michaelangelo said:
Wow Mamabear-glad to hear you're okay. I'm sure that was scary.
One thing I always keep on hand is glow sticks. They keep forever and put out a good light, plus you don't have to worry about batteries or getting burned by flames. Came in real handy last year when we lost our power.

thanx M- what a great idea. I never would have thought of it. that will be on the list next time I go into town. I have an emergency kit downstairs w/ food, water, medical, etc those will join them. It actually was more comic than scary w/ my silliness. I am one of those people that love intense storms. although I would prefer no trees flying about. both my kids are the same, & I will be lucky if one of them doesn't turn out to be a storm chaser.
we had it mild compared to areas around us. so I do feel blessed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions