inventor of the metal detector

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Got a surprise today. I was reading an article on the assignation of President Garfield. They could not find the bullet in the president so they called in Alexander Graham Bell to use his new invention, the METAL DETECTOR, to locate the bullet. The attempt failed, they found out later, because of the metal bed springs. How's that for dept in 1881? Frank

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Throughout history certain people have been credited with having invented this or that. My guess is most of these greats probably stole their ideas from someone who to this day remains unknown.

Back in the late 60's my dad was out ice fishing on Muskegon Lake in one of his portable ice fishing shanties. A fellow came out on the ice and asked if he could see how dad had made it. Dad told him everything he wanted to know. One year later that guy had a patent on that shanty design and eventually built a large company. I used to see his commercials on TV how he had developed this new great design for sportsmen.

So, when I read of this or that person inventing something I take it with a grain of salt. To become famous and maybe even rich today one need not be smart--just a good thief.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread