Strangest encounter youve ever had while metal detecting?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Re: Strangest encounter you've ever had while metal detecting?

This is a true story, even though my buddy Baldingboy says Im making it up.

I was hunting at the Beach at Lake of the Ozarks a few summers ago. I had a permit to do this as it is a state park. Anyway I was hunting very early in the morning and I noticed two young women on the beach. They got up and went into the water. A short time later I heard screaming and one of the women had taken the other woman's top. The woman missing her top was in the water and her friend had run out of the water holding her top. The woman sans top came up to the beach, not even trying to cover herself and I thought there was about to be a fight when they started going at it right there on the beach. Not fighting mind you. I excused myself, got in my car and drove over to the other beach that the permit allows you to detect at. Nothing happened there and I was the only person there that morning.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

While water hunting a lake reservoir in Northern California I was approached by 5 Spanish speaking male adults. All 5 of these guys were extremely angry and they ordered me off the beach or they would "kill" me. They said: "This is Mexico and we don't want you here". They had pure hate in their eyes, so I just left. Sad at what is happening in my home state. :(

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

mastereagle22 said:
This is a true story, even though my buddy Baldingboy says Im making it up.

I was hunting at the Beach at Lake of the Ozarks a few summers ago. I had a permit to do this as it is a state park. Anyway I was hunting very early in the morning and I noticed two young women on the beach. They got up and went into the water. A short time later I heard screaming and one of the women had taken the other woman's top. The woman missing her top was in the water and her friend had run out of the water holding her top. The woman sans top came up to the beach, not even trying to cover herself and I thought there was about to be a fight when they started going at it right there on the beach. Not fighting mind you. I excused myself, got in my car and drove over to the other beach that the permit allows you to detect at. Nothing happened there and I was the only person there that morning.

I think I would have counted down from 4750 and if they hadn't stopped I would have done the same :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mastereagle22, I hate to say I agree with your friend, this story is like playing urban legend :laughing7: I would have made myself comfortable, got out my snacks and a drink and relaxed for a while. Unlike Shaun, I won't be leaving until I see they are near crescendo, then I will give a standing ovation :hello2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shaun7 & I were detecting near a Windmill, when 3 lovely young ladies started taking pictures of each other. To our surprise & slight distraction they started stripping off. One of our better hunts :laughing7: (it wasn't even a warm day, we had coats on :thumbsup: )

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

CRUSADER said:
Shaun7 & I were detecting near a windmill, when 3 lovely young ladies started taking pictures of each other. To our surprise & slight distraction they started stripping off. One of our better hunts :laughing7: (it wasn't even a warm day, we had coats on :thumbsup: )

And we made sure they had left safely with all their belongings before we left the field :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Shaun7 & I were detecting near a windmill, when 3 lovely young ladies started taking pictures of each other. To our surprise & slight distraction they started stripping off. One of our better hunts :laughing7: (it wasn't even a warm day, we had coats on :thumbsup: )

And we made sure they had left safely with all their belongings before we left the field :icon_thumleft:

true, we have little use for 'over shoulder boulder holders' :laughing9:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Gentlemen , all . Nobody thought of asking ,"Can I play , too ?"

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Another encounter

I was hunting a local "community garden" near dark when I was approached by three young men who thought they would take my detector. I had a little eagle and my lesche at the time. I looked the three over figured out which one was the "leader" by him running his mouth the whole time and when he said "Watcha gonna do there are three of us and only one of you" I said "well I don't know about three of you but I will take one of you out and it will be YOU!" Needless to say they walked off without the detector...... ::) :wink:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

truckinbutch said:
Gentlemen , all . Nobody thought of asking ,"Can I play , too ?"

I'm not so good with a camera :laughing9:

I vote my own story - BANNER - always brings out what every field should have as well as gold, but it does effect my find rate :laughing7:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop said:
Metal detecting gets you out and it allows you to witness a lot, but what's the strangest thing you've ever encountered while metal detecting? (Situation, scene, event, or even a strange find.)

I have not been detecting long but this just happened. (so far nothing truly extraordinary has happened or no great weird finds)

the other day on vacation at the beach, bent over to dig a find and when I came up not 1 foot in front of me was a man and his 2 kids.....scared the daylights out of me, heck I jumped straight up...lol....how I didn't see their feet in front of me I will never know :dontknow:

when I detect I got into a zone. I truly don't know what is happening right in front of me...not a good thing actually :laughing9:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mastereagle22 said:
Another encounter

I was hunting a local "community garden" near dark when I was approached by three young men who thought they would take my detector. I had a little eagle and my lesche at the time. I looked the three over figured out which one was the "leader" by him running his mouth the whole time and when he said "Watcha gonna do there are three of us and only one of you" I said "well I don't know about three of you but I will take one of you out and it will be YOU!" Needless to say they walked off without the detector...... ::) :wink:

:headbang: :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OMG, Reds Going to Kill Me!!! I would Have stayed a Watched!!!

My strangest encounter is When I started Detecting And was Walking thru some Heavy trees!!! AND IT WAS NOT 2 Women Enough said Chug!!!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

Chug and Red said:
OMG, Reds Going to Kill Me!!! I would Have stayed a Watched!!!

My strangest encounter is When I started Detecting And was Walking thru some Heavy trees!!! AND IT WAS NOT 2 Women Enough said Chug!!!

Squirrels? :laughing7:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NO And Not Raccoon's either!!! ;D ;D ;D I moved to the other side of the Beach!!! Chug Now I having flash backs !!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

3 - or 4 years ago,

While detecting an Abandond house,
That Didn't have a Back wall on it,
I Was shadowed by a Pitbull.

everytime I Got down to dig it tried to lick
my Face, & snooped as I'd dig & Detect.

at one point I Tried to Walk towards
the Back of the house where it was wide Open.

The dog got Very Irritated, got in between me and the House,
Groweled & Yelped at me, till I Turned sidways.

Later when I Was packing to leave it Jumped in My Vehicle
& I Had to trick it to get it out.

House is still standing, Havn't gone for another Permit yet,
But realy wanna detect that spot now

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was on a metal detecting trip in the U.P. several years ago, took lots of back roads to see what kind of small old towns we might find. Eventually we came to an old cinder block building service station in this little spit of a town and this old man reminding me of Popeye walks up to the window, so I tell him to fill it. As we were waiting I asked the old fella if there were any town parks around, and he sort of looks at me through the corner of his eye as he scratched at his gray beard, it was obvious in his face and eyes that he was seriously considering my question, then to my surprise he replied with sort of a pondering expression on his face, "Parks? You mean with swingsets and stuff like that. Hu, now that's a might good idea." Needless to say, suddenly I was expecting to hear banjos at any moment. :laughing7: Never will forget that little event.

flip flop

Mar 3, 2010
East of West OhiO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

This happened yesterday.
I am scheduled to demo an older home in town early this Summer, figured I'd detect the yard before demo. The owner lives across the street and came over to see how I has doing, as we chatted......
Two boys about 5 or 6 years old were playing in a vacant lot just down the street and one of the boys came down to see what we were doing. I explained md'ing and gave him a "fresh from the ground" Lincoln. He ran off back toward the vacant lot, ran through the lot, and around the nearest house. He came running back a few seconds later with a shovel. He stopped in the middle of the vacant lot and started digging. Two seconds into his "dig", he screams "I found a quarter!!"
As the home owner laughed hysterically, I resisted the urge to wrap the shovel around the kids head. I set my Ace250, 6 Lincolns, and one 1887 IH in the bed of my truck and drove home.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Not to hijack you're thread... But I think maybe it might be of good reading...
Regarding the posts relating to women s 'carefree' nature... I'll be the first to point out that today's college students are very 'non-modest'. Many years ago, I often visited a friend that lived on the U.T. campus. Oddly, there was more free booze available to underage kids on the weekends than anywhere else that was paying for it in a bar. I've seen so many things.. things you couldn't even grasp your mind around. But, some of my favorites are where the inebriated people trying to 'fit in'.
For example, there was this band called "Pancakes with cheese" that was very popular at parties because they 'made' a great show happen. This band had a female roady and it was part of her job to take her top of during a certain song (only after all the kids were good and drunk). It happened like this, The song came on, and it was right in the middle of a great set of songs, and she took her top off. AND, every other girl in the dance area took their tops of too. I'm talking about a couple dozen students. Crazy...
I was at another party, where a group of naked guys walked into the place. Some people were very stand-offish, but some female students that had already lost the ability to drive, took it upon themselves to "do something more attention getting", (just to get the attention I guess). So, right in the middle of a backyard, next to a keg of beer, there were some guys that didn't move an inch because of the favors that they got. Incidentally, that particular night, I broke my finger because I fell off a 20 foot cliff, trying to rescue another guy that fell off the same cliff (he broke his knee). AND, when the cops showed up, the naked men started finding a way out of the party, and I was screaming at them about the 20 foot cliff. SO, the cops stood there with flash lights, looking at the naked lemmings fall off the cliff one by one, trying to 'flee' the party. They had no idea the cliff was there because the backyard house light projected a shadow after the rock wall fence and it the cliff was well hidden.
....Another time, a guy that had already had 100 times the legal limit felt it appropriate to be as 'liberal' with his body as a few others were being. He walked right up to the band, couldn't figure out how to get his pants off past his shoes, so the band helped him. He fell into the pool... cops were called once again and found this drunk guy that couldn't find the steps to get out of the pool so he just held on to the side where he knew he was above the water. ...a couple of others that wouldn't go well here, I won't tell.

Moral of this (these) stories? Cops ruin parties. Keep tabs on your kids when they go to Austin U.T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread