Strangest encounter youve ever had while metal detecting?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strangest encounter you've ever had while metal detecting?

While hunting a field in Germany I saw a man walking his dog way up on a hill side.I then saw the dog zigzagging down this long path right at me. I was not worried at first because they were about 300 yards but the dog was getting closer and before I knew it he was upon me and faster then me and bit me in the rear end..And away he went back up the hill to his owner who way off in the distance he just threw up his hands like like to say "OH sorry".

Another story was I had a flock of Korean kids following me on a beach and the numbers just kept growing and growing. I started throwing hands full of coins up in the air and running to the other side of the beach trying to escape but that was a bad Idea. More kept coming like I was the pied piper.. I had to stop detecting for a while till the crowd of little kids disapated. They spoke no English so the more I talked to them the more they just stood around smiling. I have no idea where there parrents were but I am sure they were back somewhere watching and laughing.

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another encounter

I was hunting a local "community garden" near dark when I was approached by three young men who thought they would take my detector. I had a little eagle and my lesche at the time. I looked the three over figured out which one was the "leader" by him running his mouth the whole time and when he said "Watcha gonna do there are three of us and only one of you" I said "well I don't know about three of you but I will take one of you out and it will be YOU!" Needless to say they walked off without the detector...... ::) :wink:

I fully enjoy Colorado's open carry laws (disabled veteran, weapon enthusiast, lover of our Constitution). May not be something that everyone would agree with, and I certainly respect that. But I can tell you that I've never had so much as a profanity tossed my way. I have however, had many people approach me and ask me about MDing and the patented phrase "finding any treasure?".

So far my strangest? The lake across form my road is down (literally) 99%...to the point you can walk from the swimming area, to the other side of the lake and into my front door...that is of course if you want to get knee-deep in nasty smelling black soot/sand/gunk/etc. I'm swinging in "cleaner sands" and see five kids come screaming, tearing down the beach and literally slamming into the "nasty" area of the beach.

Please mind you I cannot stress how putrid the smell from this area is. You can smell it at least a mile from the lake. The only reason I keep hunting it is because it's coughed up four 14k gold rings with anywhere from .25-1cwt diamonds in them and a 14k gold figaro-style chain (gotta love the drained swimming areas :headbang:)

The kids, whose ages I would guess started at 12-13, were having a "whale" of a time....throwing this black soot-muck at each other. It was all over their faces and just....ugh...I'm feeling queasy just picturing it again.... I had to leave...I couldn't concentrate on what was in front of me. Just about tripped over a rock while rubber necking, which I know is my fault. But if my child were to come home covered in that stuff (and it's like permanent marker...it does NOT come off), smelling like that....I'd be hard pressed not to strap them to the roof of my truck, take them through the local car wash, then fix them a nice cozy bed in the dog house outside...

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please read the entire story as there is an ending of what I saw out and about.

Well I was not metal detecting but was out Coues Deer hunting in 36B South of Tucson, Arizona in gold country. Metal detecting had never entered into my brain back in 2000. The day started out much like any day while Coues deer hunting. I was up about 4am knowing I had a good two hour hike by flashlight in front of me to put me high on a ridgeline I had scoped out the evening before. My partner decided to go a different direction but we knew we would be in contact with each other as we both carried high powered Motorola radios.

Barbwire fence line after barbwire fence line I crossed in the darkest of early morning. With a 300 mag Sendero strapped to the side of my pack frame and my 15x60 Zeiss Binoculars secured in foam in the center of the pack I proceeded to cross my last fence line before setting up the tripod and begin glassing the hillside in front of me and canyons below me. Looking for a low place in the fence line to cross I found a bunch of rocks pile up and the top of the fence no more than 36” high. Here is where I decided to make my last and final crossing. With my right leg firmly planted on the other side of the fence and the barbwire between my legs I leaned over to begin to bring my leg over the fence when my lower belt around my waist the buckle broke. This was the belt the secured the pack frame to my body. The next thing I knew was this 60 pound pack flipped over my head and now on the side where my left leg WAS firmly planted. I say was as I am now impelled on the barbwire with blood flow coming from my groan...

I may add this is all taking place in the dark and the day after Christmas. Knowing I was bleeding with lots of blood I knew I needed to get off the fence and this met cutting my Camo pants off and getting the upper pack frame straps from my body. After what seems a lifetime I was standing upright and looking at my lower groan. What I saw was nasty as I had torn a 3” gash on the inside of my upper thigh and knew I needed to get off that mountain and to an emergency room.

I hated to leave $5000.00 dollars of hunting gear behind but I knew I needed to get off of that ridgeline quickly and make a drive to Nogales, Arizona leaving my gear and partner behind. It was not until 5pm that I rolled back into camp and my partner sitting have a beer and wondering where in the hell I have been.

The next morning I was up early to recover my gear against the doctor’s orders that I could easily tear open the stiches, my reply was, “well that was not going to stop me”. Off I went when it was daylight and I reached the gear a few hours later. Not to let a day go to waste I decided to set up the gear and glass up a big Coues Deer. Hour after hour looking under every bush, tree, cactus, etc. and no sign of any bucks I decided to look down into the canyon below me. After about 15 minutes of glassing I was taken by a surprise what I saw next. It was high noon and right before me using my high poweedr 15x binoculars was a guy bent off with his pants down at his ankles. Thinking he was pissing I was even more shocked he had someone with him and this person was bent over a medium size boulder. There in the middle of the day and during hunting size was this guy getting his rocks off and filling his tag. They were both wearing Camo gear and both had riffles as they walked off. My season ended the next day taking this nice Coues Deer.

bigcoues.jpg

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Please read the entire story as there is an ending of what I saw out and about.

Well I was not metal detecting but was out Coues Deer hunting in 36B South of Tucson, Arizona in gold country. Metal detecting had never entered into my brain back in 2000. The day started out much like any day while Coues deer hunting. I was up about 4am knowing I had a good two hour hike by flashlight in front of me to put me high on a ridgeline I had scoped out the evening before. My partner decided to go a different direction but we knew we would be in contact with each other as we both carried high powered Motorola radios.

Barbwire fence line after barbwire fence line I crossed in the darkest of early morning. With a 300 mag Sendero strapped to the side of my pack frame and my 15x60 Zeiss Binoculars secured in foam in the center of the pack I proceeded to cross my last fence line before setting up the tripod and begin glassing the hillside in front of me and canyons below me. Looking for a low place in the fence line to cross I found a bunch of rocks pile up and the top of the fence no more than 36” high. Here is where I decided to make my last and final crossing. With my right leg firmly planted on the other side of the fence and the barbwire between my legs I leaned over to begin to bring my leg over the fence when my lower belt around my waist the buckle broke. This was the belt the secured the pack frame to my body. The next thing I knew was this 60 pound pack flipped over my head and now on the side where my left leg WAS firmly planted. I say was as I am now impelled on the barbwire with blood flow coming from my groan...

I may add this is all taking place in the dark and the day after Christmas. Knowing I was bleeding with lots of blood I knew I needed to get off the fence and this met cutting my Camo pants off and getting the upper pack frame straps from my body. After what seems a lifetime I was standing upright and looking at my lower groan. What I saw was nasty as I had torn a 3” gash on the inside of my upper thigh and knew I needed to get off that mountain and to an emergency room.

I hated to leave $5000.00 dollars of hunting gear behind but I knew I needed to get off of that ridgeline quickly and make a drive to Nogales, Arizona leaving my gear and partner behind. It was not until 5pm that I rolled back into camp and my partner sitting have a beer and wondering where in the hell I have been.

The next morning I was up early to recover my gear against the doctor’s orders that I could easily tear open the stiches, my reply was, “well that was not going to stop me”. Off I went when it was daylight and I reached the gear a few hours later. Not to let a day go to waste I decided to set up the gear and glass up a big Coues Deer. Hour after hour looking under every bush, tree, cactus, etc. and no sign of any bucks I decided to look down into the canyon below me. After about 15 minutes of glassing I was taken by a surprise what I saw next. It was high noon and right before me using my high poweedr 15x binoculars was a guy bent off with his pants down at his ankles. Thinking he was pissing I was even more shocked he had someone with him and this person was bent over a medium size boulder. There in the middle of the day and during hunting size was this guy getting his rocks off and filling his tag. They were both wearing Camo gear and both had riffles as they walked off. My season ended the next day taking this nice Coues Deer.

View attachment 749716

LOL!! I assume you mean two males......????????:laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
God I hope not... It was either a husband and wife tag team or boyfriend and girlfriend tag team.
That's a relief! From your story it wasn't clear............

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I went down to DE's Indian river to detect after the storm, and the beach was gone. The state police had the road ,rout1, blocked off and said the ocean was over the road. ... Frank

111-1 profileRED.jpg

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting spanish treasure on the Big Fandango Peak in central Nevada last summer. I had walked over 3 1/2 miles from my transportation, and was basically in the middle of nowhere. It had been a great midsummer day, lots of spanish signs to follow, and some great areas to check out. I had made my way up to some ledges that were approx. 65 - 75 feet high. Earlier in the day I had came across a long rock pointer that was pointing to a hole about 3/4 of the way up the ledge. The ledge was broken, and had severely air slacked over the past century or so...Somehow, I arranged things in my brain to make myself think it was a good idea to try and climb up the ledge and look into the hole. When I reached an area about 8 feet below the hole, I rested trying to catch my breath and access my next move. I sat daydreaming about what might be in the small cave above....I was quickly startled back to reality when I heard a hiss and a low rumble. I looked up to see a very big cougar hissing at me with his ears back, coming out of the hole I was trying to reach. I yelled, and tried to make myself look bigger than I was by out stretching my arms and kicking my legs. It had no effect on the cat whatsoever. As I had left my pistol back in the truck,(in favor of carrying my heavy metal detector), I quickly moved down to the bottom of the ledge and away from the cat. I was standing in all kinds of flora that was much taller than I when I noticed the cat making his / or her way down the ledge behind me. I didn't want to run and make myself seem like prey, so I quickly made my way out of the bushes and in to an open area. After getting my nerves back together, I began the hike back to my truck, all the while wondering what could have happened if the cat had attacked me. I was literally 10 hours from medical services and wouldn't stand a chance if I had a major wound. What really scared me,(I NEVER get scared when I am alone in the wilderness), is that on the hike back to the truck, I saw the cat 4 more times, always at under 50 yards away, like he was sizing me up for dinner.....Long story short....I always have a pistol with me in the middle of nowhere, (especially when I am alone).

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22, I hate to say I agree with your friend, this story is like playing urban legend :laughing7: I would have made myself comfortable, got out my snacks and a drink and relaxed for a while. Unlike Shaun, I won't be leaving until I see they are near crescendo, then I will give a standing ovation :hello2:

Be careful family site:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread