Life & Death-- picture added

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Life & Death-- picture added

Some say life is hard, but I think facing the death of a loved one is harder.
A short while ago my sons bulldog had to be put to sleep. My son lives with me and the dogs and cats are part of the family. To day I took my bulldog Gracie to the vets. She was swelling up and not eating. The vet said it was a tumor in her belly and at her age of 12, the only option was to put her to sleep. I took her home. I need a day or two to say goodby. I am making her headboard
and cleaning up the family cemetary. Frank

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Life & Death

About all you can do is treasure the memories and find a little comfort in the fact that you gave the dog the best home possible where she wasn't mistreated like so many are these days. She had a good life and that's more than a lot of humans get. I guess I'd hold off as long as possible too but don't let her get to the point of needless suffering. We all understand Frank.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I know what your saying. Pets are family and some times their deaths can hurt more than even when certain people pass.

Several years ago my wife and I had to put our cat to sleep. It seems so harsh writing "our cat." Because she was more than a cat, she was a real comfort to us for 13+ years. That animal meant an awful lot to both of us. People who don't love animals don't get this. It's a really odd thing to them.

Animals can become so sensitive and close to their owners that they even know when they don't feel well or are emotionally hurting. I recall several times when I was under great stress that our cat would cuddle up close and quietly stay there for a long time (something she otherwise did only to my wife). She knew what was going on. Animals have an inner radar and contrary to what some people think--animals do have feelings and emotions.

Animals are a whole lot smarter than we think they are.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Frank, I feel your pain. Two Saturdays ago I had to have two of our Little Guys put to sleep by our Vet. Jake was 18 and Billy was 16. They had long and wonderful lives and were never mistreated by us. Five years ago I had to have my 16 year old Bentley put to sleep and I have never gotten over that. They become our babies and it's hard losing them. Our hearts go out to you.

Desertfox

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Its never easy to let them go, the fact that it isn't shows how much they mean to us.

But you have to do whats best for them, especially if they are in bad pain even though it's a hard choice.

You will always treasure your memory's with her, for they are truly treasure.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Animals definitely do have feelings and emotions...

I do like animals but have never had the connections for them that my wife and many others have.

My wife has always had toy poodles, ever since she was born it seems. She had one for 18 years when it had to be put down. That "put her down" in depression for a month or more. It always amazes me, though, how no matter how painful it is...she goes out and finds another puppy and starts the process all over again. My wife cannot live without animal companionship. Many people are wired like this. Such is life...

My condolences to you and your family, Frank.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

I am so sorry for your loss. they are a part of the family, & it is hard to lose them. my comfort was all the good memories. thank you for being a loving & caring friend to your pets, so many people aren't.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good morning Frankyn: It is never easy, in fact even harder than to make the same decision for yourself since once she had decided to accept you, she became completely dependent upon you. To rationalize it, if you were in her place, what would you wish done ?

If she is like my pooper, she will stick around for a while to help you with the transition. you will notice her food, water bowls moved, odd sounds which can easily be passed off as your imagination until they are critically analyzed. You will even see movements out of the corner of your eye which somehow can never be brought into focus.

My Pooper even managed to pull the sheets 1/2 way down one night, and was some how involved in many other little things that have no logical explanation. These gradually slowed down and it has been months since her last trick.

Just remember, 'she' made the decision to live with you long ago for some reason, she could have left at any time, you merely gave her the opportunity to choose.

Keep her food and water bowls where they normally are for a month or so, you my be pleasantly surprised.

************* YEP! I 'still' miss my poopy, sniff. *******************

She being a biggie doggie loved to run at me, and if I wasn't agile enough, knock me down then we would wrestle for while. She always ended up this play with a slurp from chin to forehead. sniff. Picture is of her is from some years ago with my two grandkiddies, shows that she was physically and mentally badly abused.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• La Pooper.jpg
    La Pooper.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 568
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankyn, for what it is worth, my pooper had an enormous tumor in her uterus, it was so large that she couldn't lie down and still breathe. We had her operated upon and I insisted that I wanted her back alive. For the next month I was up several times a night giving her her shots and changing the bandage on her tummy. She never complained, she knew that I was trying to help her.

The poor pooper became so accustomed to her shots that if I even made a motion of eliminating air from a hypodermic needle, she would turn around twice, lay down and present one of her hips to me. sigh.

She recovered and lived to 18 year of age. The neighbors giving her chicken bones against my orders, finished her off. SOO, I would have a long talk with the vet, or another one, before making the final decision.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As apt for a beloved pet as a human - well known Irish saying-

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face.May the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand.

sorry for your loss

Rory

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My family tells stories about memorable episodes involving our dogs that date back 60 or 70 years. So they don't get forgotten. Sorry to hear about yours, Frankn.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Easy to understand your pain . My 4yr old aussie developed a bowl blockage 6 weeks ago . This is my
buddy that herds grandkids as well as cows . Alerts everyone when I go into respiratory distress . Is at my side 24/7 to be sure I don't leave her out of what ever I am doing .
Vet (life long friend) said she could save her with surgery . I live on a fixed income . How do you put
a price on the life of a friend ? Signed off on over 2 grand to be paid over the next 6 months .
My buddy is back riding in my pickup and sleeping at my feet awaiting my next move .
Was it worth it ? YOU DAMN WELL BETCHA !
Jim

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Easy to understand your pain . My 4yr old aussie developed a bowl blockage 6 weeks ago . This is my
buddy that herds grandkids as well as cows . Alerts everyone when I go into respiratory distress . Is at my side 24/7 to be sure I don't leave her out of what ever I am doing .
Vet (life long friend) said she could save her with surgery . I live on a fixed income . How do you put
a price on the life of a friend ? Signed off on over 2 grand to be paid over the next 6 months .
My buddy is back riding in my pickup and sleeping at my feet awaiting my next move .
Was it worth it ? YOU DAMN WELL BETCHA !
Jim

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yes it is hard. for anything loved to leave our life.

but I own a farm and the deaths of animals has become something I had to face big time. even just livestock was hard to put down....like when a pack of wild dogs chewed up 6 of my goats one night, killing one and leaving hubby to shoot 5 due to the torn guts and broken bones. To putting down my old farm dogs, to shooting my horse that had a twisted gut and could not be saved.

one thing I know, all my animals lived a great life, so even though they had to pass, I smile because I know they lived good while alive. that to me is a way to say goodbye...knowing I treated them well while they lived.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

Farmerchick, I understand what you are saying. although I don't have livestock now, when we did it was hard to put them down but a neccisity.
Frankn, when I had to put our 16 yr old dog down my daughter, then 12, went with. I pissed the nurse off because I let my daughter hold her after the injection. but to this day my daughter insists she wouldn't have done it any other way. they were best friends, & she couldn't let her go alone. it was sad & painful, but we were with her telling her how much we loved her. don't let them bully you into doing something you don't want to do. every person is different. so you make the decision that's right for you.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Momma bear ***** most do not have the courage. I sat with my pooper while she was dying, it was very hard. The last thing that she did was to raise her head, give my wife a long, extremely intent look, then me.

It was obvious that she was saying "good bye". She then laid back down and never moved after.

I sat holding her head, watching her breathing slow and her eyes slowly losing control, then glazing, Damn, it still hurts to just talk about it sorry.

But yes Frankn, and trucking I do know how you feel honest. You are not alone.

Don Jose de La Mancha

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
I don't think it's courage. all I know is it would have felt worse to not have been there with her. my daughter is now 20, & she still thinks it was the right decision. just like you I still cry when I think about it. I've had to put another dog down since then, & I stayed with him. I was his "pet" he claimed me from the moment I walked in to the pound, so I couldn't let him be with strangers.
life & death hard choices, lots of pain lots of joy! all wrapped up in fur balls. it's so nice to know so many people here have such big hearts. again Frankn, my heart is with you

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Momma bear ,
It is courage . Don Jose and I understand these things . It is that element in others that one must assess when your own life may someday hang on the balance they hold .
Don't judge vet assistants and vets too harshly . Most care deeply and still have a job to do . It cracks
their own self imposed armor when another person present gets emotional .
Being able to do the hard thing is not part of every person's makeup .
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread