Reburying Treasure

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I ran into a couple of gents who claims that they are reburying their treasure. Long ago.when our country was young,banks were few and far between, so many people had to travel long distances to get access to deposit their money in banks. It also made it equally hard when they neede to withdraw their money. So, as much of an inconvienence was this that most people on the new frontier or away from towns buryied their money. Also there were many who didn't trust banks and would not deposit money in them even if they were convienent. More of this started after the great depression, as many people lost their life savings when banks closed. Most gangsters and highwaymen or outlaws also buried their illgotten loot, as much to keep it away from other outlaws and the IRS. It seems that today in our modern society that the practice is still going strong. For whatever reason, people are still burying their money. I would venture to say most of it is in coin form today, as it was back then. It would be a hedge against the collapse os society or the government going bankrupt. The silver,gold or copper would stand for itself without any monetary value indicated on the face.These metal will always be in demand as jewelry and as electric and electronic raw materials. I did not question as to why these gents were burying their treasure or what kind of precautions they took to eliminate detection from someone who might happen to be in the neighborhood, but I would guess that it was placed in a plastic or glass vessel or box, with an easily accessible way to retrieve it,to add to it or withdraw from it. I am not reevaluating my strategy for finding these caches buried long ago.In fact, I might just bury one myself to get a better perspective on the whole idea. I might also leave it there as a hedge against the unknown.I was just wondering if any of you have done this or know of someone who has? Good Luck. rockhound

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to recall another posted thread here on Tnet that is very similar to yours. You might look through the cache topic threads and see if you pick up on a title that sounds like it might be about your topic.

That being said, I do agree that many people are hiding their treasure, if not actually burying it. Your exercise in "burying your own cache" might reveal to you the actual thought processes that almost anyone and everyone who has ever seriously thought about burying things of high value would confront. Best container, best location, how to prevent accidental discovery or intentional discovery...many other questions.

I had a small example of something similar to this when last year I had my wife bury 5, 90% half dollars for a dowsing experiment. We went out at 3am into a large field that was used as a soccer/football field at times and I had her bury them within a prescribed area the size of a football field. Life is busy and I kept putting off working on my experiment for a month or three...It was amazing how I would often think about and perseverate on those 5 coins...

Is someone going to find them?
Wonder if she buried them deep enough?
Is that guy metal detecting out there or just walking around? (Most often when I was driving by the field on the way to work...lol)

And all that angst was just over 5 half dollars... :tongue3:

I can only imagine what the concern might be if it was $10k in gold or silver... :dontknow:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to work with a guy that would bury his money. He burried bills in a glass jar with a plastic lid so it could not be picked up with a metal detector.

I'm sure lots of people still bury their money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread