Do you know any technophobes?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give seniors a pass since they're usually the last to give new technology a try. I remember my Aunt Bertha, (didn't everyone have an Aunt Bertha lol) had a real problem when barcode scanners were first introduced in supermarkets. Anyone you know have a real aversion to computers, ATMs, mircowaves, etc.? How do they get along?

wayne_sa

Jun 30, 2009
san antonio
Funny you should mention microwaves... I still think they are a fad. My wife, however, is a techno early adapter: her AOL acct # was 17 and she just purchased a 4G Droid. Whatever that is. Probably use it to scan my colon and buy movie tix simultaneously. :tongue3:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Oh Geez, yes... But, one thing I have learned to do is keep very quiet about my abilities about being able to understand technology. Because I seem to get involuntarily adopted as their 'tech support' person. When I was a younger, I lived in a small community and for some reason, everyone knew I knew how install ceiling fans, water heaters, fix cars, etc. It was horrible. And me being a dumb kid, I didn't charge for changing out cranks of chevy engines.

One of the most common things to go out on a microwave is the door switches. They're easy to fix. I brought one home one time and my step dad bought a radiation detector kit, just to make sure I want' trying to irradiate him.

I took it upon myself to install a network card in an older computer for a friend of mine. He freaked out and said, "Man, you should NEVER open a computer".

Also, there's a chain letter going around right now, talking about http vs. https, and how that little 's' means you are not secure and people could steal your whole life away from you if it's not there when your surfing the internet. I've been trying to reply with a "It's only important when submitting credit card info or sometimes passwords"... But, it's hard to keep up with. If you've not gotten this message yet, you might.

Me, being a techno guy, I see people with smart phones (iphones, etc.). I tell them that this little device is quite spectacular in the fact that you can stream music from your own house to your phone, log into your computer at home and manage it, not have to pay for data streams through the cell towers, etc... ... lots of other things you can do with a handheld internet interface.... but, they just don't see the power of it. They are just happy that they have that nifty little finger flipping screen interface. Perhaps they just don't need the power. Plus, most of the time, it requires a linux PC at home. And getting into that level of tech is just to big to explain.

In all, its sad that people are not aware of the technology available to them.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a senior but i could really careless about the technology available to me. I dont need it and i never have. Hate to tell you but most of it is just to keep an eye on you, its not for the publics benefit. Do you really think technology is put out to the public for your or anybody elses benefit :sign10: All the companies care about is the profits, they dont care about the public. I have a pc and thats it.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Red James cash said:
I'm not a senior but i could really careless about the technology available to me. I dont need it and i never have. Hate to tell you but most of it is just to keep an eye on you, its not for the publics benefit. Do you really think technology is put out to the public for your or anybody elses benefit :sign10: All the companies care about is the profits, they dont care about the public. I have a pc and thats it.

Yeah, sometimes, people need to be able to monitor something at home... or at work. So for them, it would come in handy. It's not for everyone. In fact, I charish the older days when we never had computers and our kids went outside to play.

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
My Mother called it a "miracle wave"and outside of timed minute pushed repeatedly Im sure She never figured it out..
Another story.My uncle had a flat tire in the late 50s(Im told),and tooktire apart to patch it...
And called the police to report that someone stole hi innertube.(Tubeless tires)..New technology..

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alot of it can be handy but thats one of the problems. Take tom tom for instance. Nice little handy gadget,tell s you where you want to go ,how to get there, how long it takes. Just about everything. It also posts your MPH, the cops can see that. They have access to the data. You speed while having tom tom on, be expecting a ticket in the mail. :wink:

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Drove my stepmom to get gas in her car, and she took her credit card inside the store to record the gas purchase instead of sticking it in the gas pump. As we resumed our trip, I asked her why she did that. "Well, just anybody can put my card in the pump. I don't want that to happen, so I take it inside where I can see what I'm charged." I tried a little bit to explain that, while she was leaving her card inside the store, all her credit card info was available for stealing by an employee; that if she'd just let me stick it in the gas pump, the card info had a much lower chance of being side-swiped, plus she would get a receipt. She didn't buy it at all. "I don't want to put my card in that pump because then just anybody could do it." I didn't understand that analogy at all, so I finally gave up and went shopping with her. And, yes, I did try and buy the gas, but that was a no-go, too. She's a very sharp 83 year old, but something about her credit card has her mystified... and adament. I've thought it through for several weeks and finally gave up on trying to change her. <sigh>

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
Alot of it can be handy but thats one of the problems. Take tom tom for instance. Nice little handy gadget,tell s you where you want to go ,how to get there, how long it takes. Just about everything. It also posts your MPH, the cops can see that. They have access to the data. You speed while having tom tom on, be expecting a ticket in the mail. :wink:

?!?!?!?! :icon_scratch: Fight it. Not a good site period. They can't place you behind the wheel. Examples, loaned tour Tom Tom to a friend, loaned your car to a friend, etc. Any first year law student could get you out of the site. Burden of proof would be on them to prove you were in the car when the offence occured.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
boogeyman said:
Red James cash said:

?!?!?!?! :icon_scratch: Fight it. Not a good site period. They can't place you behind the wheel. Examples, loaned tour Tom Tom to a friend, loaned your car to a friend, etc. Any first year law student could get you out of the site. Burden of proof would be on them to prove you were in the car when the offence occured.

When I first saw that, I was about to post, "AND I HATE THAT THEY ARE SPRAYING US WITH CHEM-TRIALS FROM AIRCRAFT". But, I realized, ...................just the other day, when I was doing yard work outside, I happened to look up, and I noticed that there was one of those chem-streams, and I wondered... why would someone take the time to spay us with a chemical that only seemed to float away with the wind, and not actually fall on the majority of the population. I mean, wouldn't it be a much easier to poison us by injecting chemicals into our water source? Let alone, the obvious nature of putting any "chemical" directly in the sky for all to see... ???

But, after that few seconds I took to think about this topic, I decided that I needed to close the garage door because my work was done, and I was done with my yard work. It was a good day... but the what I learned from that day was, I needed to research fine fuel line because my leaf blower has a rotten fuel line. I'll need to fix it before i can use my leaf blower any more.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, Did you ever notice that about 75 percent of the photos of chem trails strangely enough seem to be right in the pattern for the airport down the road? ::) ::). I guess if they picked up an aeronautical map, they might make a huge discovery in the field of chem trails & Discovery channel will give em their own series ::) :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: It's a conspiracy!!!! They built all those airports to cover the fact they're spraying JP5 on us :tongue3:

K

Kentucky Kache

If anyone really thinks their smart, build me a microwave that makes things cold. :tongue3:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean, wouldn't it be a much easier to poison us by injecting chemicals into our water source?

:laughing7: Look up fluoride mike. I'm not to sure about the chemtrails either but i am sure about fluoride.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
If anyone really thinks their smart, build me a microwave that makes things cold. :tongue3:
They're close! Check out most any big truck stop. They have a 12v cooler / heater. Turn the plug one way it keeps your snacks hot, turn it the other way it keeps em cool. Brought to you by the fine folks at RONCO ::) :laughing7:

Or you can use the polish version.

Step one - place food in microwave.
Step two - fill the rest of the way with ice DO NOT PUSH ANY BUTTONS
Step three- After 20 minutes remove food - Whalaa!!!! icy cold food!! ;D :laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
Boogeyman, the fastest way to make a beer cold is with a CO2 fire extinguisher :wink: :thumbsup:

Yeah, know that trick! We had a CO in Nam that kept getting POed because all the extinguishers were always empty. Yup you guessed it! TRAINING!!! ;D ;D ::) ::) :laughing7: :laughing7:

S

Smee

Kentucky Kache said:

When I was into electronics really heavy back in the 1990's, I remember reading about something called a "Macrowave" which in theory was supposed to "instantly freeze" items placed into it. I'm not sure about the name of the magazine, I think it was called "Radio Electronics", but I do remember it had a section every month called "Hardware Hacker".

The author claimed to have a working prototype.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread