Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Kimberly Blair
Pensacola News Journal
May 10, 2011

Unusual number a 'huge red flag' to scientists, fishermen
Scientists are alarmed by the discovery of unusual numbers of fish in the Gulf of Mexico and inland waterways with skin lesions, fin rot, spots, liver blood clots and other health problems.

"It's a huge red flag," said Richard Snyder, director of the University of West Florida Center for Environmental Diagnostics and Bioremediation. "It seems abnormal, and anything we see out of the ordinary we'll try to investigate."

Are the illnesses related to the BP oil spill, the cold winter or something else?
81 Comments
Red snapper with abnormal stripes caught by a local commercial fisherman. Scientists are seeing a growing number of Gulf fish with lesions and other health problems and are conducting tests to determine whether they are related to the BP oil spill.
Red snapper with abnormal stripes caught by a local commercial fisherman. Scientists are seeing a growing number of Gulf fish with lesions and other health problems and are conducting tests to determine whether they are related to the BP oil spill. / Special to the News

Some of illnesses scientists are concerned about may be signs of compromised immune systems and include:

» Fin rot: When bacteria eats away the fins of a fish.

» Skin lesions: Ulcers or infections on the skin of a fish that may be caused by a wound not healing properly.

» Skin pigmentation: Fishermen are finding red snapper with odd black pigmentation.

» Parasites: Fungus, bacteria, worm or crustaceans.

» Liver damage: Blood clots where liver is hemorrhaging.

What's next?
That's the big question Snyder's colleague, UWF biologist William Patterson III, and other scientists along the Gulf Coast are trying to answer. If the illnesses are related to the oil spill, it could be a warning sign of worse things to come.

In the years following the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska's Prince William Sound, the herring fishery collapsed and has not recovered, according to an Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Trustee report. The herring showed similar signs of illness — including skin lesions — that are showing up in Gulf fish.

Worried that same scenario could play out along the Gulf Coast, Patterson is conducting research on the chronic effects of the BP oil spill on Gulf fish. And he sees troubling signs consistent with oil exposure: fish with lesions, external parasites, odd pigmentation patterns, and diseased livers and ovaries. These may be signs of compromised immune systems in fish that are expending their energy dealing with toxins, Patterson said.

"I've had tens of thousands of fish in my hands and not seen these symptoms in so many fish before," said Patterson, who has been studying fish, including red snapper, for 15 years. "All those symptoms have been seen naturally before, but it's a matter of them all coming at once that we're concerned about."

He's conducting the research with some of the $600,000 in BP money distributed to UWF from $10 million the oil company gave to the Florida Institute of Oceanography in Tampa to study the impact of the spill.
Higher scrutiny

As part of his studies, Patterson is collecting samples at targeted sites in the Gulf and from commercial fishermen. Samples from his targeted sites have shown fewer problems than those from fishermen.

While Patterson is alarmed, he's quick to point that the Gulf's ecosystem never before has been scrutinized as closely as it is now, or by so many scientists.

"Are we looking more closely, or are these unusual?" he said.

Sick fish have been reported from offshore and inshore waters from Northwest Florida to Louisiana, he said. Scientists are trying to figure out how prevalent these abnormalities are and their cause.

In that pursuit:

» Patterson and Florida A&M University scientists are conducting toxicology tests to find out if the fish were exposed to hydrocarbons or oil. Results are not final.

» Scientists at Louisiana State University's veterinarian school are in the Gulf looking into what microbes might be causing the diseases.

» Pensacola marine biologist Heather Reed is studying red snapper for a private client using broader testing methods than mandated by the federal government, which she says are not adequate.

"I've been testing different organs in game fish that have been brought to me, and I'm seeing petroleum hydrocarbons in the organs," said Reed, the environmental adviser for the City of Gulf Breeze. "I was shocked when I saw it."

She is trying to secure grants to continue that research and is talking to federal and state officials about her findings, she said.

All the studies are aimed at one goal: "To find out what is really going on and get things back to normal," Reed said.
Solving the mystery

But both Reed and Patterson say it's hard to determine just how many fish are being found sick because many commercial fishermen are reluctant to report their findings to state and federal officials out of fear fishing grounds will be closed and their livelihoods will be put at risk.

But at the same time, to protect the future of the Gulf, Patterson said, the fishermen quietly are asking scientists to look into what is happening.

Clay Palmgren, 38, of Gulf Breeze-based Bubble Chaser Dive Services, is an avid spear fisherman who has about 40 pounds of Gulf fish in his freezer. He has not seen sick fish so far, but he said many of his angler friends, both recreational and commercial, are talking about catching fish that appear abnormal.

"I'm 100 percent glad scientists are looking at this," he said. "I'm concerned with the health of fish, and I think it will take a couple of years for the (toxins) to work up the food chain. I think that's a shame."

Patterson's studies and those of other scientists delving into this mystery of the sick fish are not trying to determine whether the seafood is safe for public consumption.

"There is fish health and human health, and we're concerned about the sublethal effects of the oil spill on communities of fish," he said.

Findings so far demonstrate that studies need to continue far into the future, he said.

The $500 million BP has provided for long-range research on the Gulf oil spill will ensure "people will be examining the impacts for the next decade," Patterson said.

The cause of the fish illnesses may be hard to nail down, Snyder said.

"Cause and effect is a huge problem for environmental work," Snyder said. "You see anomalies in fish. Is it oil-related? How do we prove it? We can make the connection with economic stuff. But after the oil is gone, how do you definitely say the fish are sick because of the oil spill?

"We may never know, and that's the frustrating thing."

F

Felinepeachy

Geeeez these scientist folks are absurd. I mean COME ON!!! Fish live and breath in WATER. Of course something is going to happen to them when they live and breath OIL!!! This isn't science, it's common sense for crying out loud! Actually I think a lot of "science" is common sense.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont forget the millions of gallons of corexit dumped in the gulf also, to coagulate the oil. Its quite alright to dump poison in the oceans and not expect a reaction from the sealife. :laughing7: common sense is as scarce gold nuggets in a bag of flour. I'm sure we all know where that scarcity lies the most. :laughing9:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redjames, We fish Boca Grande Pass and another pass, (I think Blind pass), every year. Stay on Pine Island, in Bokeelia, cross the bay. We are hearing that the snappers are not coming into the pass. I gotta call sis to get the exact lowdown. We are wondering if they are just gone, or possibly changed course.

But due to the freeze (in S.Fl.) we had, many, many fish died. It was reported they were filling up the finger canals, off Jug Creek, on Pine Island, dead and dying. People were trying to salvage the still flopping ones, and the FWC stopped them, threatening to jail them. (unsure if thats good/bad, as the fish coulda been contamenated?)

Disturbing signs. As well as others I see and hear of. Oh, (I also metal detect Gasparillo too.)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
of course the snappers aren't coming in --dead fish do not go anywhere *

having worked on oil tankers in the past (merchant seaman for many years) -- I can tell you that the oil companie as a general rule use massive amounts of dispersant to "sink" as much of the oil spill as possible to aviod folks "seeing" the huge oil slick on the surface * there by minimizing what the "public" saw on the nightly news reports --the oil companies since they are fined based on the size & amount of the oil spill tried to heavily "down play" the actual amount of oil that "leaked out"--( this is a standard operational bussiness practice for oil companies )

the huge "tarballs" of clotted up oil and massive amount of dispersant used to sink the oil to the bottom of the sea --settle at the bottom of the sea and thus get into the food chain -- kicking everything badly "out of balance" --tiny bits of naturally occuring oil leakage are handled by oil eating germs but this is way way way beyond anything that nature can easily absorb .

the illness the fish are suffering from are a by product of the spill.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ivan, I hear and know exactly what you are saying, but thanks for saying it again for all to see.

Down in the Keys, the FWC, will lock you under the jail, if they find Dawn dishwashing liquid or bleach in your boat!
And I always take my metal detector to the Keys! Just don't need the super-dredger(scoop), cause it's hard to scoop solid coral rock! ;D

Oh btw, saw show with some biologists on it, they are going to the major fish markets, doing testing on recent catches. Real eye-opening, at what they are finding in the fish, in the way parasites and worms, that sould not be there. One lady biologists said, they are finding these things in 80% of the fish. (I don't know if this is on youtube or not, it'd take all day for me to find, but I'll try.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions