City of Dallas keeps $2000 found by honest teen!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thats a crock o crap -- she did everything possible to find the former owner --went to the bank / reported it -turned it over to the to cops for holding for the legal 3 month "legal wait" period -- for the city to just "take it" from the finder --is just plain old robbery --the true owner should be the teen aged "finder"

honest teen / dishonest city of dallas. ---in this case .

if they do this they can not blame folks in the future for not turning in cash and other lost valuibles .--since there will be no way for the "finder" to ever legally obtain it back again. (city gets everything -if its not claimed -- total BS)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't turn anything in, if it isn't listed in Craigslist under lost and found I keep it, I sure as heck am not giving it to the city that keeps raising my taxes.........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This would take a lawyer to un-ravel, because it was not found on public property. It was found on private property (a shopping center). I suppose that since this "form" of private property is quasi-public (since the public has right to be there, "unless revoked by property owner"), that items would be subject to the same as is if it had been found on a public street, for instance.

But in any case, every state has lost & found laws. It wouldn't be hard to find out how the TX ones read, but in CA, the items turned in to police (anything you find over $100 value) will belong to the finder, after a given amount of time (1 month or whatever) if an owner is not found.

Maybe TX is different in their L&F laws, or maybe this is different d/t found on private property.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, as I understand this article and other related articles to this situation, Dallas "out of the blue" changed their policy on returned items. They keep everything returned to them and it goes to the City coffers.

If they get away with this, other cities will see this and no doubt follow suit.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a bad situation for this poor girl. I hope those bums in Dallas city govenrment that pulled this stunt have it blow back in their face and they are motivated to find carreers hauling sewage. "the money will be put to good use" my ass..... they will sqaunder it like all the rest of the money they waste

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2,000 of us should mail her a dollar. We could send it to the school. How many members again on the T-net? Would be easy. 8)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LukeTHr said:
this is a bad situation for this poor girl. I hope those bums in Dallas city govenrment that pulled this stunt have it blow back in their face and they are motivated to find carreers hauling sewage. "the money will be put to good use" my ass..... they will sqaunder it like all the rest of the money they waste

It sure blew back in the face of the city officials in Bell Calif., didn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_City_of_Bell_salary_controversy

Ironpatch, I like your way of thinking, Got her address? ( i gotta run for a lttle while, I'll pik this bck up)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
LukeTHr said:

It sure blew back in the face of the city officials in Bell Calif., didn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_City_of_Bell_salary_controversy

Ironpatch, I like your way of thinking, Got her address?

No, but I'm guessing sending it to the school would be the way to go. Aren't we the defenders of the finders? I don't wear this cape for nothing. :wink:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
It keeps getting harder to do the right thing when those that you look to for honesty refuse to. In grade school it was a pretty big deal if you found money or some other item in the hallway, you turned it in to the office and they found the owner. I wonder how many false attempts have been made to claim the money now that this story is out? I'm sorry but if I found $2000 with no way to ID who it belonged to I would not turn it in to the police.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in mailing any money to the school, they'll end up keeping it too :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Good luck in mailing any money to the school, they'll end up keeping it too :)

We'd send it right to the principal and keep track. Everything would have to be set up first, with a list of many hundreds ready and willing to mail on a given day... because it's either go big or forget it. I like sending messages, and there's a couple that would be put across by doing this, and if it only costs me a dollar, that is not a problem. :thumbsup:

And it wouldn't have to be limited to a dollar... why not get to 2k as fast as possible. What kid wouldn't want cash showing up to their school every day. :headbang:

PS... Sometimes I have good ideas, sometimes bad, but if I owned this website I would make it happen. :headbang:

....actually the guy who wrote the story would probably be willing to make this happen and no doubt write a follow-up.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch, the more I think about your idea, the more I like it! If it made the news it would be not only a blow to the City of Dallas, but if TNET is mentioned.....well, just think of the positive publicity!!!

So, now to figure out exactly how to get the ball rollin'.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Just think of the positive publicity!!!

Well if that was a byproduct of doing something good I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing. :)

I think this is something the T-net and mods. would have to make happen, or at least make the attempt, because even if it's just a dollar or two each it will still take some encouragement to get that many people to participate.

I just put myself in her place, finding all that money then seeing it go like that. Of course at that age I doubt I would have given it back.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We could send it to one member here via paypal, either using the gift option or throw in a few extra cents to cover the paypal cost .....Send it to the girl via the school as a gift from TreasureNet Members......

I will contribute towards it..... Even if we do not get the full $2000, we can still give her a nice reward, and mention our discust that the city took the money and to make matters worse they didn't even offer her a reward. (If they did give her a reward, I did not see it in the article.........)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
We could send it to one member here via paypal, either using the gift option or throw in a few extra cents to cover the paypal cost .....Send it to the girl via the school as a gift from TreasureNet Members......

I will contribute towards it..... Even if we do not get the full $2000, we can still give her a nice reward, and mention our discust that the city took the money and to make matters worse they didn't even offer her a reward. (If they did give her a reward, I did not see it in the article.........)

I think the writer of the story would really help out, but again something has to be established here before taking the next step.

I agree, even if it was only $200 it's something.... but $2,000 is better. :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen guys, I'm back, (had a dr appt). I'm in this with ya'll. We have members in Dallas, surely.
I haven't even had time to look at the video, yet. let me do dome catch up. And I'll come back, see if I got an idea or two.

Ironman, I have so needed a cape crusader like you! What took ya so long to find me!
I firmly believe, the only way evil can prevail, is for good men and women to do nothing.
Thank you for your attempts to smite injustice, where you see it, and brings it's ugliness, to the light of day! You are a true hero!
Thank you for rallying the troops. I'll be back........

ok i'm back, editted update:
ironman, I got some ph#'s, made some calls, I'm gonna pm you with the info.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
Listen guys, I'm back, (had a dr appt). I'm in this with ya'll. We have members in Dallas, surely.
I haven't even had time to look at the video, yet. let me do dome catch up. And I'll come back, see if I got an idea or two.

Ironman, I have so needed a cape crusader like you! What took ya so long to find me!
I firmly believe, the only way evil can prevail, is for good men and women to do nothing.
Thank you for your attempts to smite injustice, where you see it, and brings it's ugliness, to the light of day! You are a true hero!
Thank you for rallying the troops. I'll be back........

I probably have a lot to make up for. :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't we all, Ironpatch!
I shot you a pm.

Please revu and update all of us, on what efforts and the plan, we need to have, to blow this into the light of day! For all to see!

I'm sure the reporter will love the follow-up story!

edtted:
Iron patch, I got your pm. Me the one? Are you sure? I know Marc is probably got his hands full today, they had an earthquake over in Spain, everyone a little fearful and worrying right now. I'd rather have a gameplan before bothering him.
I got no problem shooting him a pm, I think we should have a game plan set, before we go jumping off the cliff.

Do we want to do this by Paypal?
Do we want a member in Dallas, to present this on behalf of t-net?
Did you talk to the reporter?

Help me with a solid game plan. Yeah, I MAKE things happen, had to all my life, realized early on, no one does things for you, without expectations. (if the do, it's very rare)
I know where my heart is at!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No good deed goes unpunished.

Hey guys, I'm in on the dollar donation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread