"Online Scams"

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Online Scams"

Here's the place to post your experiences and knowledge of the newest scams happening on line.

Some will tug at your heart, some are full of misinformation but the greatest majority will tug at your purse strings.

Personally, I have no money, (a robber would feel bad and give ME money,) so I really don't have to worry about high dollar losses.

I have never fallen victim to scams, but I remember a story from my Grandmother of how my Grandfather was a victim of a "confidence scheme" as it was called back then. (Some things never change...)

What are your experiences?

Best Wishes,
Scott

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Online Scams"

The best one I got was from Dr. Authority. And it was in French. Very good French, too, not like the English in the Nigerian scams. How they knew I can struggle my way through French is beyond me. But I passed up the opportunity to get rich quick.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I weren't able to scam people online then I'd be out of work... We wouldn't want to see that now, would we :dontknow: :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, a lady pulled a good scam on me once, tugged at my heart........so I got married. Talk about breaking the bank! :laughing7:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

The Nigerian scams once took Americans for about $200,000,000 per year back in ca. 2000 to about 2005 (I got this direct from FBI files). And these were just the scams reported! The FBI speculates that this sum amounted to far less than the actual amount. The reason being most victims didn't want their constituents or supporters to know how they had wasted money. Therefore usually a great coverup ensued.

Today they're still at it and the amounts of loss are unknown partly for the reason stated above.

The scams worked variously but here is the classic.

Number one victim, church related ministries. But the following also happened to many types of businesses.

The scam persons would contact churches, etc., with the "inheritance" lie in hopes of obtaining bank account info or at least social security numbers (identity theft, etc.). This scam was extremely successful and probably still is in-spite of all the available information on the web. But probably 60% or more of Americans still have no computer or web access. And too the offer of so many millions of dollars blinds people to common sense.

Your social security number is worth a lot to a lot of people. With it someone obtain credit cards in your name and do all sorts of damage to you that can never be completely undone. There's a man somewhere in Indiana who has been using another man's credit for several years and to date he has not been apprehended. The man who has been taken has again and again reported this to no avail. Once some dishonest person gets your SS number you will have rotten credit. The victim in the Indiana scam has suffered greatly with this issue but until that person is caught he will continue to suffer.

The biggest money scam involved a plea for someone from that entity to come visit them "to see the great need of the people." Or simply "to evangelize the people," ...whatever.

Once that person arrived he would be kidnapped and a ransom demanded. The typical was a 1st demand of $100,000 but some would accept as little as $10,000. Sometimes the detainee was released alive but usually badly beaten and starved. Some weren't so lucky.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sounds like a great urban legend to me.

It's called "greed", like W.C. Fields daid, "There,s a sucker born every minute." Yes, "a fool and his money is soon parted.'

My guess is that these people grew up like veals, always in the dark

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

A more 'personal' scam.
I was once approached while walking back to my truck in a parking lot. The guy told me he was trying to get to the next town over for [something important here]. He told me he would be very appreciative if I could give him some money for gas as he was completely out of gas. I offered to give him a ride to the gas station as the can in the bed of my pickup was currently empty, but I'd put it in his car. Mind you, he even took me to his car where the fuel gauge registered empty. I have him $10. I drove away and watched him approach other people. I confronted him and he drove off. He drove into the parking lot a few miles away and started doing the same thing. I got my money back because I threatened to call the cops.

Another scam is another parking lot scam where guys pull up in a van and say, "Hey, we just stole these high end speakers from our boss. They cost $400 new, but I'll give them to you for $100. Complete scam.

Another one is where a guy knocked on my door, gave me a hard up story about his wife beating him and he needed money for a hotel room for the night. I gave him $20. I never saw him again.

....also, I'm still trying to figure this one out, but every once in a while (around October), kids knock on your door expecting candy. They give me a very direct 'hint' and say something along the lines of, "We'll trick on you/your house, if you don't give us a treat".

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:

It's called "greed", like W.C. Fields daid, "There,s a sucker born every minute." Yes, "a fool and his money is soon parted.'

That quote is actually attributed to P. T. Barnum.

Currently, a scam going around is the "Secret Shopper" ploy.
The fake company will send you a real appearing check for like $3000 and tell you to deposit it in your bank account, keep a couple of hundred for your efforts and send the rest back to them via Western Union to judge the "efficiency and friendliness" of Western Union.
Surprise! Their check to you is bogus! You are now out however much you have sent back to them.

Best,
Scott

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you really want ro learn some great scams. Go rent the following movies, Grifters, House of Cards, and Confidence.

I call it educatonal learning

S

Smee

spartacus53 said:

Actually, it was P.T. Barnum who coined the phrase. But it would take a clown to remember that . . .

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

House of cards is a great movie,everyone should watch this. :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy, the other 2 are just as good.. Actually, I take all 3 out twice a year to hone my skills :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The cat figured out 32 years ago, coming to S.Fl, just cause a man got a camera and a business card, it don't make him a high-end modeling photographer! :evil5: And I still see the SAME scam, still going on today! :icon_scratch:

But I had too many friends in the bullion business and extended delivery of ya precious metals, so........I should be quite now.

and that left side save button gonna get me in trouble one day

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat-tekker-cat said:
The cat figured out 32 years ago, coming to S.Fl, just cause a man got a camera and a business card, it don't make him a high-end modeling photographer! :evil5:

That was you??? :laughing9:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:
pat-tekker-cat said:
The cat figured out 32 years ago, coming to S.Fl, just cause a man got a camera and a business card, it don't make him a high-end modeling photographer! :evil5:

That was you??? :laughing9:
Spart. you better watch it buddy. There could be a reason why my friends thin out so quickly!
Did you not catch the reloader for Christmas story? LOL! ;D

Scammers go around S.Fla here, targetting elderly people with the stupidist.......I lost my wallett........I won a lotto ticket, can't cash it, gimme $32,450.00, & we'll split it,.......lemme in your house, I'm with the power company.........on and on and on.............. The mind truly boggles! :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread