I do not miss my old watering hole (bar).

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Last Sunday after a trip to the park, I stopped by my ol' watering hole where I went about 3 times a week for 6 years. I haven't been there in probably 2 years since, but everyone greeted me with hugs and kisses. I sat down and they knew my regular... Bourbon and coke. The bartender (my favorite bartender ever) brought me this glass about the size of a dixie cup. He told me this is what they moved to, no exceptions. This was different from the pint glass drink that I was used to before.
After I sat for a while, I started noticing that everyone there still looked the same but this time, sad and lonely, drinking on a Sunday in a bar that has rotten carpet and smelled badly. Grey box tape was holding the old bar stool tops together as well as the holes in the carpet to keep it from coming apart at the broken seems. All of the 12 inch faded tile on the dance floor was broken on ever corner with black grime in between the retreating edges. The lighting was a mix and match of brightnesses as you can tell that when a bulb went out, it was replaced with whatever was available.
For some reason, I did not miss this place at all. It was sad. It was once a second home for me.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the old watering hole from before is never the same for anyone
you can't go back ya know...I tried, lol, doesn't work

move forward and away.....if that place is as rundown as you say, good chance it will be closing it doors.....many of my old bars are gone. progress happens, even in ones life and old haunts.
the younger generation doesn't sit in these older type bars and booze it up anymore.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
My problem is I look in the mirror and I realize I look like my(your) old watering hole also.FarmerChick is right,you can't take the place back and you can't take yourself back,just memories are left.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious to know how that place looked 2 years ago, I bet it wasn't much better :tongue3:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Mike, I'm thinking YOU have moved on and that place just remains the same as it was. You just didn't notice it before. Here's to old haunts! :occasion14:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My neighborhood in Chicago has bars on the corner of darn near every block and they're all much like this.
Yes, it's sad.

We're given life and the choice as to how we live it. The "bar life" is squandering it all.
Kinda like that song "Live Like You Were Dying" - our most precious gift is seconds on the clock and what we do with them. If you could poll everyone who ever passed on, I bet you'd be damn hard pressed to find a single one who wishes they had spent more time bellied up to the bar.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
our most precious gift is seconds on the clock

You arent kidding, you dont miss them until theyve come and gone too. You dont realize how fast time goes by. I know everybody sits back and ponders the question every once and a while, Where the hell did the time go? :laughing9:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike what bar is this,is it in Austin? :dontknow:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Just be glad you can drink in your state on Sunday. Here is the progressive penal colony of Georgia, Sunday alcohol is illegal.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Mike, bar stayed the same. You got better, hoss.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Just be glad you can drink in your state on Sunday. Here is the progressive penal colony of Georgia, Sunday alcohol is illegal.
Dude, you mean you don't know your local bootlegger! :o For when ya forget to stock up on Saturday night! LOL! :o
We gotta get you hooked up! Pm me if needed, I may can help ya out. Say; "ALBANY".

Word up friend, just buy beer. They steam the liquor seals off, water it down, and reseal 'em!
You think I'm lieing?
Cat knows, she don't like thinking, might Kelly Bundy out, and push out something important, like Magellan! ??? :sign13: :icon_scratch: ???

Hey, if it went downhill that bad in 2 years, they musta not really had their heart into it!
Andytowns' still kicking strong, after 40-50 years! LOL! :occasion14:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Thanks for the bootlegger advice, but I gave up drinking some years ago. Hangovers are much more debilitating now. I don't drink, but if I did, I would prefer Dos Equis.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Thanks for the bootlegger advice, but I gave up drinking some years ago. Hangovers are much more debilitating now. I don't drink, but if I did, I would prefer Dos Equis.
I do know exactly what you mean! I will occasionaly, do a few glasses, of my Blackberry Wine.
If it taste real good that night though, well, that's been so long I bout can't remember.
Notice at this stage, how no achohol is needed to forget things! LOL! :icon_scratch:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'll take RedJamesCash and and LSMorgan and quote Stevie Ray--'Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock' well I'm sure all y'all know that song.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I still go to my old haunt every few months...I've noticed that while I have not gotten any older it seems that everyone else has gotten younger. Oh well, they still haven't learned how to play pool very well and they still can't out drink me. I REFUSE TO GROW UP!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
and they still can't out drink me. I REFUSE TO GROW UP!

Yeah, that's a hornets nests, I just quit trying to swipe at, anymore, in public, anyway.

Only reason I know I'm grown, is I have a stack of bills in a drawer to pay each month, and no one takes care of me any more.
I want my mommie and daddy! :crybaby2:

I used to 12 going on 21. Now I'm 46 stuck on 17, well I'll say 18, at least that'll make me legal!
I don't wanna cause no more trouble. (Oh, that reminds me, I better check in on my christian forum, make sure they ain't in the middle of Armegeddon, all over each other! brb.)

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting to finally attain the age where my elders used to tell me..."Just wait, you will know what I am talking about eventually"...this is what I would hear from the "old" men (50+) when I was in my 30s and 40s...I used to chuckle at them... :laughing7:

Then, I turned 50 in March...not laughing anymore...at least, not out loud... :laughing7:

The passage of time has a whole new dimension to it now. Looking at the time wasting of youth, it all seems so frivolous when you figure you might have 20 or 30 more years to get it all done...and the last 5 or so of that might not be under your terms.

Whew...glad to get that out of my system. :icon_sunny:

Back to treasure hunting!!!!!!! :headbang:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRandyMan said:
Looking at the time wasting of youth, it all seems so frivolous when you figure you might have 20 or 30 more years to get it all done...and the last 5 or so of that might not be under your terms.

NOTHING wasted here!
I keep trying to cram 36 hours into one day, and 2 more days into the week.
Life limped along at sub-sonic speeds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions