Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: "Happy" Memorial Day?

pat-tekker-cat said:
deepskyal said:
Memorial day is for the fallen, not the living. We have Veteran's Day for those of us that still live.

As the oldtimers die off, nobody cares to instill the true meaning of our history. Sad.

Remember the fallen for we would not be what we are nor would we have what we do if it were not for them.
Trust me Al, not all have forgotten, or remain silent on the subject.
For them, and them alone! :angel11:

I stand corrected. I should have said few, not nobody.

Al

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

My dad always drove with his lights on high on Memorial Day weekend, to honor those who served. Ever since I was old enough to drive, I've being doing the same. It's a very small thing, but I have had people ask why I drive with my lights on high. Then I tell them to honor those who served. Then, :sign13: , Oh yeah they say....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm with Spartacus on that, since 'Memorial Day' is just another holiday, official start of summer, and 3 day weekend. However, I will tell you this. My family calls it 'Decoration Day' We would go to the cemetery and decorate the graves. It would be an all day affair, with a big picnic. All the kids runnin around and havin a big time. Raisin a flag over the vets graves. Just all the family together, laughin, thinkin about those who passed on and tellin stories about them. So we had a good time. Speakin for the vets and others in my family who were buried there, I think they looked down on that and joined in with us. We could have read some poetry and blown a bugle or somethin, and been all sad, but they didn't really care about that sort of sh*t when they were alive so why would they when they were dead? So yeah, we had a 'Happy Memorial (Decoration) Day'. At least in the old days.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tough call to make Immy. I think it's just a way to greet folks, especially if you're representing your restaurant or whatever. mIf people are coming into your place of business on a holiday, apparently you should be able to assume that most of them are "celebrating" or trying to enjoy that day. Maybe she was looking for a good tip. ;D
Heck, I know I've probably wished people a "Happy Easter" many times in my life. If you're a believer are you supposed to be happy that Jesus died and then rose from the grave or be happy that Jesus died to save your soul? Either way most people don't say "Enjoy this day that Jesus died to save our souls for", they say "Happy Easter". If I had died serving our country I'd like to think that my service and price paid were remembered and appreciated but I'd also like people to enjoy their freedom so I didn't die in vain. I know, I'm being wishy/washy huh? Hmmmmmmmm....told you it was a tough call.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well not only is Memorial Day weekend the official start of summer, it also looks like a time to make a quick buck.. There must be a fortune to be made in some of these towns where everyone is wearing sunglasses.. I would love to have a little concession stand selling the small American flags, and sunglasses.

Just think, for a initial small investment; you can probably quadruple your money by the early afternoon. I'll make you feel like a Pinko if you don't buy from me.. After all, these items were made with the love and care only China can provide :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why do I love your sickness? :icon_scratch:

Years, years, ago, I used to rack up in S Fl here, Mom's day, Mem Day, 4th july, with flowers on the corner!
It's called, get it, while the gettens' good! LOL! 8)

Althoung I never Hare Krishna'd no one, I still think I shoulda been Moonie-ing them, maybe......... :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread