Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New driver's licenses

Never heard of such an animal. I know they have new requirements for documentation to get a license, is that what you mean?

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmm, could be. Has to do with the Real ID act. Saw a local ad and that phrase I quoted was used along with a picture of the new licenses. Read an article that my sister's state (CT) is also doing the same. Wondered if it was a nationwide thing.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Basically it's another method for the Gov. to watch over it's sheeple, all in the name of "National Security" by our lovely Department of Homeland Security. In all actuality, what it means as far as renewing your drivers license (once your state has complied with the Real ID requirements)) is that you must provide them with a social security card, a birth certificate , a valid photo (or non photo) id and a documentation (utility bill) that states your name and address.
People born on or after December 1, 1964, will have to obtain a REAL ID by December 1, 2014. Those born before December 1, 1964, will have until December 1, 2017 to obtain their REAL ID.
My state (Florida) started implementing this after Jan.1, 2010, other states I guess have not yet "complied" to the powers that rule us mere peasants. Here's all you ever wanted to know about the Real ID Act, and then some- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NY & NJ have had that for some time, and it is on a point system too. A passport is worth 2 points, most other current ID are 1 point each and you need a total of 6 points. Your current birth certificate is valid if after 1965 here, those prior must pay $25 to get it re-certified :icon_scratch: Mo' money :laughing7:

The good part is that if you have 10 points, you an run for Governor :headbang:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

I'm glad the state of Tennessee (along with many others) oppose this crap and are actually fighting it. There's way too much "federal regulation" in our lives already, in my opinion.

Obviously The Great State of Tennessee thinks so too!

Sky Pilot

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Like red says Just because My Id is Expired It doesn't mean I AM!!! Chug For any one with a Veterans Id card Did you notice the There is No expiration date!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have one of those new "Super" ID cards issued by the feds that has a chip on it with all of my background information, a magnetic strip for swiping and an 8-digit password to confirm I am who I am. It is supposed to get me into government computers, onto federal installations and through airport security faster. Expires in 2014. The first time I used in the airport security line the TSA cop asked to see my driver's license because my security card was too easy to counterfeit! Go figure. :-\

Attachments

• idcard.jpg
    idcard.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 188
OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great info! Thanks for that link diggummup, here's one part that causes concern:

After 2011, "a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's license or identification card issued by a state to any person unless the state is meeting the requirements" specified in the REAL ID Act. States remain free to also issue non-complying licenses and IDs, so long as these have a unique design and a clear statement that they cannot be accepted for any Federal identification purpose. The federal Transportation Security Administration is responsible for security check-in at airports, so bearers of non-compliant documents would no longer be able to travel on common carrier aircraft without additional screening unless they had an alternative government-issued photo ID.

So unless you get their govt mandated ID, expect a pat-down or a naked body scan.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Far as I'm concerned, by belt buckle is my ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread