Computer Experts Ideas Needed

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Shut it down This Morning after Running Everything
& It still said windows is Shutting down
10 Minutes later when I Left.

It did finally shut down,
As it was off when I Just came Home.

seems OK Now

"Fingers crossed"

Even EMail Downloaded.

Thanks all If it starts again

I'll re_view The Above advice :thumbsup:

Jeff
Since a re-boot seems to have resolved the issue, I recommend a reboot at least once a week Jeff. If you have dust and overheating it will show up a lot sooner than a week. Even with lots of RAM the new machines will eventually fragment the available memory to the point that a reboot will seriously improve performance.

If you start the task manager shortly after reboot, and set up as suggested above to place the high processor users at the top of the list, then minimize the task manager you may be able to maximize the task manager while having problems and find a high CPU user. This might help identify a poorly designed piece of software and you could then look for an alternative.

Hope the problem stays resolved for you.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far so Good

First things first. My Printer has gone South.
the green on Button has been flashing for weeks.

I Have to Play with the On/off & Scan buttons
to use it.

Wasn't sure if this was Irritating The Computer
telling it Scanner online,offline,online,offline etc etc
all day & Night.

So I Unpluged scanner,
AVG Automatically did it's thing,
I Ran Spy Bot.
Defragged
used Disc Cleanup
Deleted Temp files Etc
& Shut her down.

Still Working OK As of this Morning
& Still holding my Breath, with every action I Take :wink:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what Operating system your running I would guess Windown XP or 7....but you can turn the computer off, push the start button, hit F8 immediate until you get a black screen, then toggle up to safe mode...enter.........system restore, yes, enter...and return it to it's original state from a few weeks to several months ago ...some times this will save you from the Virus's or a problem in the registry, (which makes it all work together). Last resource would be to do a backup of all your files, and reload the Operating system.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Computers can be frustrating when they start to misbehave.

Be sure to clean out the dust bunnies first. ( power down before you do this)

Making the assumption that you may have malware of a virus, try running in safe mode. Here is a link to explain how safe mode operates with networking. You may or may not be able to use it, see the link.

Not to get too long winded, you might try downloading Malwarebytes and running it in safe mode. Another good program is Stop Zilla. These two programs are very good at eliminating viruses and malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

http://www.stopzilla.com/products/stopzilla/home.do

You could also have a hardware problem but that is difficult to diagnose.

Defragment your hard drive, if it has not been done in a while.

Once your computer is up and running correctly, you might consider getting an image program to make an image of your hard drive. Save the iso file to an external hard drive for future use. Keep the file updated every month or so. If you have a major failure you can always reload the image file (iso file) and be back in operation in a very short time. There are many good Image making programs available. Do some google research. Acronis is one and Image Burn is another. There may be better ones out there but you will have to look around.

Hope all works out for you.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started again When I Turned it back on this after.
email Tune was Skipping. things were Locking.

did a Complete AVG Scan
& Spybot Scan in Safe mode.

working again Now

But My Volume control disappeared
from the tray.

May be temporary till I sign on again though.

I Have XP according to system Information.

But I "think" I Updated to 7 awhile ago :dontknow:
There are still alot of things Computer related I don't understand

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Computers are touchy.
I always tell people to run Defragment at least once a week whether it needs it or not and reboot. It'll make a huge difference in your computers performance.

I had similar things happening to my computer about a year ago and it turned out to be capacitors going bad. I had to de-solder 8 capacitors and solder in new ones. No problems since. For $12, it was a cheap fix. You can tell if they look swollen or are leaking if that's the problem.

Also get a good hard drive imaging program like Acronis and make a image of your hard drive and keep it on an additional external/internal drive just in case your drive is going and make sure to update the image once in awhile. It sure beats having to reinstall everything from scratch and trying to remember all those passwords and locating program discs and such.

Hope that helps.
HH
John

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff! A buddy of mine who is a computer Whizz. Put a program on my computer called " Malware bytes". I kept gettin kicked offline yesterday morning I would be typing to post, About every 10-13 minutes it would kick me off, without any hesitation. Ran malware bytes, Takes bout an hour for full system scan. Found 6 trojans. deleted them. been runnin like a top since. Hope this is a simple fix fer yuh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread