Latest ridiculous "disorder" has its own drug

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Latest ridiculous "disorder" has its own drug

Laying in bed radioing myself to sleep just now, I thought I was already dreaming when an ad came on for a new drug to help with the latest allegedly chronic condition. If you find yourself falling asleep at work, you may have "Shift Work Disorder" for which the FDA has a snazzy new drug that I won't mention here.

Are...you...kidding...me???

When will this madness stop? People gulp energy drinks all day to the point where they need prescription drugs to sleep at night! How many people are in some mild chemically induced state every day? How many doctors, school bus drivers, police officers? It's scary.

F

Felinepeachy

Re: Latest ridiculous "disorder" has its own drug

Oh, you are soooooo right!!! Starts in grade school when they pump them full of Ritalin.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Immy said:
When will this madness stop?

It stops once we manufacture a drug for everything and anything :laughing7:

F

Felinepeachy

ottawadigs said:
You want to see something really scary that the media is conveniently ignoring?

How about the government medicating you without your consent or knowledge?

May 22 2011
Government wants to add Lithium to tap water to cut down on Depression
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/05/22/052211-news-lithium-1-5/

scary!

OMG!!!! That IS scary.

On another note, please remember not to turn this thread into a political one. As tempting as it is :laughing7:

F

Felinepeachy

OUCH yes, I certainly do LOL :laughing7:

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really try to get into the psychology of it all. In the 80s the mantra was "look out for #1" which I always interpreted as a tacit endorsement of selfishness. That generation is now raising children with the same ideals. So you have a subset of the populace who don't second guess themselves about anything.

Along come the 90s and 00s and the suddenly pervasive drug ads, where depression is depicted as a cute little dark cloud with eyes, and these same people become experts at self-diagnosis. Or worse, they "ask their doctor" most of whom are in big pharma's pocket and voila, dependancy on a drug they probably never needed in the first place.

I've worked in a periphery of the health business for 20+ years and it's sad the amount of individuals I meet who wither under the "agony" of psychosomatic ailments such as fibromyalgia.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know several people who went in to see doctors after divorces, loss of a loved one, etc., and years later they are still taking the same meds because they can't get away from them for one reason or another, a large part of them because their system and/or mental state is reliant on them now. It's sad to know that these drugs can be dished out so freely. I have a brother who was suffering from depression due to a bad breakup, now several years later he would be the first to tell you how taking all those medications has really messed him up for life. Today he can't hold his thoughts or focus without those meds. Be careful with those meds folks! They may help you to relax but the long term effects can ruin your life if allow yourself to become dependent on them.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boy my dad had a cure for depression...if you didn't come out of it pretty quick you would feel the depression of his boot on your butt. Didn't take too long to fix.

LOL, that's ol' school medicine tee! I remember getting a few of those. Probably was the preferred treatment for 100s of years. These days my best cure for the blues is a visit here. Works like a charm!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

WHO SAID "LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICENE "--NEVER TRIED MORPHINE.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No one can understand the physical and mental issues of shift work until you work shifts. I work for years on shifts, for several years I was on a rotating shift, 2 weeks days (8-5), 2 weeks evenings (4-12:30am), 2 weeks nights (11pm-8am), then back to days and start all over....It will screw up your body clock and your body big time and it is not easy to get it back straight.....I had one boss who insisted we work a 3pm to 3 am shift 5 days a week, talk about a nightmare.............

I worked shift work for 16 years before leaving that company.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
No one can understand the physical and mental issues of shift work until you work shifts. I work for years on shifts, for several years I was on a rotating shift, 2 weeks days (8-5), 2 weeks evenings (4-12:30am), 2 weeks nights (11pm-8am), then back to days and start all over....It will screw up your body clock and your body big time and it is not easy to get it back straight.....I had one boss who insisted we work a 3pm to 3 am shift 5 days a week, talk about a nightmare.............

I worked shift work for 16 years before leaving that company.....

For 15 years I worked for a company that kept switching back and forth from what we called 3-2-3 12hr shifts to standard 8hr shifts, and each time they changed those schedules where you ended up all depended on your entry date and the manpower required to cover the company's ever changing individual shift needs. Yes, it is very hard on the body and mind.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

a human body has a "natural" time order to things--- called circadian rythum --work during day -sleep at night * --- odd hour & night shift work goes against the the bodys normal natural rythums * -- much like prisioner in jail'sbody gets "used' to doing things at a certain time because they are "conditioned" to got to the bathroom , eat and do other things things on a certain time frame.

its called for prisioners at least being "institutionaliized" -- its a built in "time to do ..........." clock in your body from doing things at a certain time for long peroids of time.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Maybe someone that knows better than me could tell me... but something tells me that you won't hear these kinds of commercials in countries have free health care. Or, maybe you will, considering the government pays for it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

'Better living through chemistry'. Maybe it will get to the point where if I screw up at work I can offer the excuse that I was off my meds that day and it will be perfectly acceptable. (I don't take any, and no offense to the folks who truly do need them.) I liked double T's post. Apparently y'alls proximity to my home state of Oklahoma had a great influence on parenting in Texas. Did you know when I was in grade school us boys would play 'chicken' or 'mumbley-peg' with real knives on the playground at recess and not a word was said? Every boy over the age of 10 or so carried a pocket knife then. I don't recall any stabbings.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shift Work Disorder

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

and if the world gives this 'disorder' true life and acknowledgement'---imagine the law suits waiting.

drive home from work, car accident, sue your job because 'they' gave you shift work disorder which impaired your driving. (and so on and so on)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

shift work often pays more than "normal hour work" to comp for the way it screws you up -- some non tradational folks that are by their basic make up --odd ball type "night owls" tend to go for night shift work --to some folks being "abby normal" is normal for them.--2nd shidft is bad but 3rd shift is the killer ----with first (day) shift being 8 am to 4 pm --second (night) shift 4pm to midnight 12 --and 3rd (graveyard) shift being 12 midnight to 8 am

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread