[email protected]
    47.7 KB · Views: 139

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have a hummingbird feeder also. It has a tube that extends out the bottom to limit it to the hummers but the little yellow goldfinches have learned to land upside down on the bottom rim to get a drink also. It hangs in a swamp willow above a spring, but they prefer the feeder. Frank

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
What are you putting in that feeder? There is not a single Baltimore Oriole left in Baltimore, or Maryland for that matter! Frank LOL

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I use honey and water, maybe I should switch to sugar to draw a few orioles back. LOL Frank

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
To draw the Orioles, we use the little plastic cups that some cat food comes in. I made a little
rack that they drop into with a small roof to keep out rain. The cups are used to hold grape
jelly and the Orioles love it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ray that might work in your neck of the woods, but in Maryland that would create the Yellowjacket Inn. Frank

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
hello, Frank, Now that you mention it, it is a wonder that it doesn't draw them. We do have them
all over Michigan. I have seen some places here that are bombarded with them, but have not
seen many around here. We do have a type of hornet that can be kind of pesky sometimes,
but the grape jelly seems to have no effect on them, thankfully.

Thanks for looking and replying,

Ray

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ray we have the white faced hornets here. They make gray paper bag nests. If you walk within 20' of it they all come out to "greet" you. We also have a digger hornet or bee that is about 2' long. They burrow into the ground. Saw one a couple of times, but know nothing about them. They don't seem to be aggressive though. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread