Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strongest material yet, and "cheap"

The potential here is large, but to what application would you like to see these super-strength materials applied? This might be a boon to the more inventive types. The investment possibilities are probably there as well. I wonder what this new stuff will look like on the detector...?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110110121709.htm
New Glass Stronger and Tougher Than Steel
Glass stronger and tougher than steel? A new type of damage-tolerant metallic glass, demonstrating a strength and toughness beyond that of any known material, has been developed and tested by a collaboration of researchers with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)'s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)and the California Institute of Technology. What's more, even better versions of this new glass may be on the way.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110512150815.htm
Strong, Tough and Now Cheap: New Way to Process Metallic Glass Developed
Stronger than steel or titanium -- and just as tough -- metallic glass is an ideal material for everything from cell-phone cases to aircraft parts. Now, researchers at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have developed a new technique that allows them to make metallic-glass parts utilizing the same inexpensive processes used to produce plastic parts. With this new method, they can heat a piece of metallic glass at a rate of a million degrees per second and then mold it into any shape in just a few milliseconds.

(obviously not yet obsolete tech, and still making improvements)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110609173718.htm
New Way to Make Lighter, Stronger Steel -- In a Flash
A Detroit entrepreneur surprised university engineers in Ohio recently, when he invented a heat-treatment that makes steel 7 percent stronger than any steel on record -- in less than 10 seconds.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strongest material yet, and "cheap"

Of course there is a movement in Government to stop patents from being enforceable, That ought to help people who invent things from putting forth the effort!
Thank goodness, I was worried that Americans might try to profit from their work!!! Now we can do it for the fun of it! ::)

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stronger than steel---Superman, can he break this stuff?

metallic glass.....ok lets see the 'cons' against this--like the horrible method of production, or possible health hazards :dontknow:
I know someone, somewhere might come out against it...just wait and see I guess

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'll take the first new Lesche/Predator made with the stuff... :icon_thumright:

How about lighter detectors?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know about you other guys, but I'm looking forward to a new sports protection cup :headbang:

This got my attention

In fact, the steel, now trademarked as Flash Bainite, has tested stronger and more shock-absorbing than the most common titanium alloys used by industry.

Now I can take a kick to the jewels and laugh it off :laughing9:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Hi sparticus, if you wish to demonstrate it, I will volunteer to kick em. snicker anything for mi buddy.

Don Jose de La Mancha

LMAO Make sure we get to see the Video Love the tension between you two!!! Chug

Makes for good reading!!!!

I will volunteer My step son Jon as the test Dummy If that would be better!!!! Chug

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp, no problem... It's your foot right :laughing7:

Hey Beep.... Is really as strong and shock absorbent as they say :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well, according to this image, the impact may cause something else to fall off as it redirects the force around the main target. :laughing7:

Attachments

• 110110121709-large.jpg
    110110121709-large.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 254

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have no clue as to what that is, but it doesn't look good :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I messed up the URLs (first was duplicate of the last) in which the first was supposed to allow you to see the image, the caption of which is...

"Micrograph of deformed notch in palladium-based metallic glass shows extensive plastic shielding of an initially sharp crack. Inset is a magnified view of a shear offset (arrow) developed during plastic sliding before the crack opened. (Credit: Image courtesy of Ritchie and Demetriou)"

So, it might protect the zone in question, but is sounds like you might also have to watch your backside ::)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Did you all see that Startrek movie where they saved the whale . who was it Scottie that showed them how to make an aluminum glass mixture that was stronger than steel?

When they needed a tougher Plexiglas , they came up with lexon which was billed as being almost unbreakable. Come to find out it was but there is always a trade off. It scratched easier because it was softer and flexed with a blow instead of cracking. It also burned easier.

You can always make something stronger by making it harder, but at some point it becomes brittle. A diamond will cut almost anything because it is hard, but this same factor makes it brittle.

Strong is a two sided sword. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions