Has your life planned out career wise the way you intended?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Having trouble still deciding on which path to take. On one side I really want to be in Information Technology, on the other side I hear our industry is dieing. I know I should get a transfer degree after I get my AA in Technical Support, but then after that I am not sure.

How did career life pan out for you guy's? For those who are in the IT industry is it what you expected?

S

Smee

Plan like a madman, and take whatever you get.

I started out as a truck driver, did a few years in construction, more trucking, bill collector / repo / skiptracer / computer sales and repair and finally I'm using my training in website design.

My training? Commercial Artist. Internationally published in the 10th grade, did work for the State of Louisiana in my junior year of high school. Took quite a long time before I started making money at it though - 35 years.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP ! I was born a lazy bum and have dedicated my life to not changing, successfully I might add.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. do your own projection on the future job conditions and plan accordingly. Forget today's trendy thing.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine was perfect for me

computer programmer for CIGNA in Ct when younger for many years
moved to PA and became head of comupter dept. for private insurance company
moved to NC and didn't want to travel into Charlotte, did temp. comp/sec work----then get this---12 hr shift as a knitter. 4 years and then ---get this---sandblaster/metal/toolroom worker for antique auto parts. (great job with all guys in tool room and ran all big azz scary machines...I loved it!)

as I got older I geared down for relaxing more in an easier job. worked well.

current---stay at home mom running a farm (which I am currently shutting down cause after 15 yrs my azz is tired! :)

you can't go wrong in computers --lol--it served me very well! :)

and don't worry---life is going to truly take you where it wants, you can plan so much and boom, what happens happens......old saying, life don't pan out like you want, hang tough!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think technology is a good choice, but it changes rapidly so you'll have to keep up with it, which means constant and continued education. I worked in robotics/programing/installations/maintenance/design & building, but along the way I got tied up with, and eventually settled for, a company that simply didn't want to keep investing in all the continuing education and advancements. Just don't allow yourself to become comfortable in these non progressive work environments because they will eventually fall behind and die, leaving you out of work and too under-educated for the times. Just something to consider.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Get the training in a field you enjoy working in. When I started in electronics you had to know all the circuits and what problems they could cause. Now no one knows what is on the board, it is designed by a computer. The engineer merely specifies inputs and outputs to the computer. Heck, another computer even makes the board. Machines have gotten so complicated that they have built in computers to figure what is wrong with them. When you send an item in for repair under warranty it most likely is canned and you receive a new item. I had a Direct TV tech out to fix my sat receiver. I think he replaced all the coaxial connectors and replaced both receivers to fix the problem. As I said you don't fix things anymore, you just replace them. My TV is acting up now. when I turn it on the sound comes on but the picture is black. If I turn it on and off for about 20 times , it usually comes on. There is a bad connection or part in the receiver. the manual controlls do the same. It is over 5 years old so it is at replacement time . When it goes out for good, I will remove the rear cover and make the valiant try, but with little hope. Things aren't made to last more than 3 to 5 years and they really aren't repairable any more. Frank

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough question to ask in a recession.

Nope, none of my career plans turned out the way I expected.

As for education, I think a two year college degree pays off. The four year degree will not unless you are in field that is in perpetual demand, such as business, medicine and engineering. Don't go to college and major in things like history, art, or literature. You'll just spend the rest of your life paying for the memory of four fun undergraduate years.

As for IT jobs, like any, they come and go but your employment prospects look fairly consistent. There are worse things you can study, for sure.

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I am really passionate about IT and would really like to make a living doing it. I am not wanting to make tons of money, just the standard 45-50k that everyone else is making.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
texastee2007 said:
I am in such a happy place in life...who wouldn't be if the are married to their soul mate?

I totally agree, I'm in a very happy place as long as I have my best freind, soul mate, and so much more! After that we take life one day at a time, and plan when we can! Red :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread