Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Harp player and other musician's banned from Central Park ~ forget MD'ers

hmmm--2 sides on this one to me

quiet zone
heck yea, let me hear a bird chirp vs. someone's singing or music I might not like, after all, I went to a park.

then, it could be the music and singing is what person might want to listen to in a park to relax

2 sides, no winners really

but only 8 quiet zones established.....yea I say go for it, boot them out.
I am in the first group, give me a park that is quiet. no music, singers, and other crappola.
if I want music I go find it myself, I don't want it forced on me in a 'quiet park' I want to relax.

of course others might be in the second group --lol

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been to Central Park, It is big, very big. If they put a "quiet zone" on one of the ends of the park, you would not hear anything on the other end.

I bet if the Rolling Stones wanted to do another concert there they would not be banned.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NYC has gotten way out of hand and is really on a slippery down hill slope. Growing up in NY, I loved to go to Central Park once, or twice a month to see some of the performers. Nothing beats free entertainment. As far as hearing the birds chirping, they for to mention the majority of those fine feathered friends are PIGEONS... No song from them, just some coo's and a whole lot of poop :laughing7:

Sounds like they have made the area that had a band shell, a quiet zone :icon_scratch: Makes sense to me, build a band shell with seating and hear nothing :laughing9:

I guess nest stop is Washington Square Park.. If that's the case we might as well declare war on NYC and NUKE it :headbang: A crater will be a more appealing place to visit :laughing7:

Another interesting happening is a new smoking ban... OK, first they have taken cigarette smoking out of restaurants and bars.. I can see restaurants, but bars... Give me a break... Next came all parks and beaches.. Hey, we're getting a little limited here... Finally this week, guess what :dontknow: Another new ban, but this is for a full city block... Probably the first of many the will sprout up throughout the city. Best yet, there are some apartment complexes that do not allow smoking in your own house. :icon_scratch:

Remember, so goes NYC, so goes the rest of the nation down the road.

Next step will be a prohibition on smoking altogether... That didn't do much when it came to liquor :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait, I do see one upside to this... All the muggers in the quiet zone will have silencers on their gun :laughing9:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is amazing to me is that it is only a "few" that can draw up these laws and bans an pass them and the majority of the people have no say what so ever! If you read the comments by people after articles like these a majority oppose these laws yet we seem to be powerless to do anything about it.

Government of the people, by the people and for the people?

Forget about working together for any compromises on anything.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thrillathahunt, what most people don't understand is that these areas have always been artist friendly for over 50 years.. They even banned musicians in subway stations... That's great, otherwise I would have never heard the train coming:laughing7:

I would hate to have to move back to NYC and straighten those punks out :laughing9:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Due to numerous requests, I feel obligated to bump this topic to the top. :dontknow:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

Would love to hear who's behind this & the real reason. I've heard of orders to be quiet in libraries & hospitals, but in a big park in the daytime? Maybe they think these people should be booted due to loitering & begging laws.

The article said they did not ban conversation, but singing & instruments (by unknowns). They didn't even say they checked the dB level of the music at some distance to determine if it exceeded established limits. Boycott NYC! If they do not want tourists, other places do.

Maybe they are working towards banning all people from the parks, with a $10,000 fine for trespassing. The Sheep Meadow only for sheep, The Strawberry Field only for strawberries, etc. "Come see the Central Park Wilderness, where people aren't welcome!" At least some parts of the country still value individuality (no cloning required). Best wishes, George (MN)

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

There are parts of this wide country that give the feeling of come see but dont step on the grass Bob

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lonesomebob, most NYC parks already have signs for "Stay off the grass."

The problem is Central Park, as well as Washington Square Park have always been a mecca for street entertainers of all types. I remember one comedian was at Washington Square Park all the time, and he was a riot. I wish I could remember his name, I think he had a bit part in Car Wash also. He was also offered a job at SNL, but was unable to read so the job went to Eddie Murphy.

Besides his act, you had dozens of street musicians, playing every type of music there is. There was even a small chamber group that played there on occasion. The entertainment you had on the street was sometimes better than paying for it at a show.. I never saw anyone complain and these performers made a pretty penny to :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread