What was your favorite game you played when you were a kid?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Tabletop Bowling AKA: "Skittles"

skittles-tinkers-m.jpg

http://www.mastersgames.com/cat/table/toptafel.htm

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
After dark it was 'kick the can'.We would walk for blocks and blocks through alleys/streets of Kansas city keeping the 'it' guy from finding us.Also 'pickup sticks' and 'cork ball'.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
FarmerChick said:
Battleship!!!!

Game of Life

Operation

I second....poor Barbie :laughing9:

FC, operation was a frustrating game for me. I even tried cutting the holes out a little bigger :laughing9: boy did I get in trouble for that. :thumbsup:

LOL cutting the holes bigger? LOL I am sure you 'butchered' that game......did you have malpractice insurance HAHA HA

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At night we used to run through the alleys between the blocks of houses throwing rocks through garage windows or, sometimes, we would go down to the park, climb over the fences and get ducks out of their little, barrel-type houses. We would then take them to Main St. and let them go. They always flew about 6-8 feet off the ground, straight down the road, quacking all the way. Once in a while we would skip school and hop the freight train from Oshkosh, WI to Neenah. Had to quit that when our little brother, in the first grade, was too scared to hop the train coming back because it was already moving. Ended up hitch hiking home and got there late. That was not a fun evening. I only got involved with stealing one of the many stolen cars in that area. One time we built a fort out of used tires at a tire store. The rear loading dock for the post office was right there too. We would steal packages from the back dock and open them in the tire fort. Got some neat stuff there. Monopoly was boring, kinda like soccer. ;D

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you were DEFINITELY a BOY! :)

one of my bros was like that.....forget a 'game', had to find mischief! :)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you could call it mischief. In the teen years we were called "hoods". We all wore baby blue, silk jackets and combed our hair in what was called a "ducks a$$" in the back. We hung out at a pizza joint playing pinball until someone got a brainstorm, like stealing a car. ;D We could win free games on pinball and the girls all played the jukebox. Funny thing, the girls usually sat by themselves. :dontknow:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Trust me Packer mate, those games were anything but quiet. That's where "football hooliganism" started out...and progressed into the real game! :pain10: :cussing: :BangHead: :violent1:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB gun battles and 4 square and Clue and Battleship and Operation and Don't Break the Ice and Rockem Sockem Robots and Evil Knieval Stunt Cycle and SSP Racers and, and ...

Actually, all we could afford was that wooden paddle with the rubber band and a rubber ball on the end. My parents would save the paddles when the rubber band broke and glue 3 or 4 of them together for use as a weapon against us kids.

Once I hit my teen years I turned into a hoodlum anyway so... it didn't help.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
thrillathahunt said:
FarmerChick said:
Battleship!!!!

Game of Life

Operation

I second....poor Barbie :laughing9:

FC, operation was a frustrating game for me. I even tried cutting the holes out a little bigger :laughing9: boy did I get in trouble for that. :thumbsup:

LOL cutting the holes bigger? LOL I am sure you 'butchered' that game......did you have malpractice insurance HAHA HA

Couldn't afford it on my allowance. :laughing9: I did learn however that a career as a surgeon was out of the question. ;D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checkers and dominoes. Maybe not my favorites, but that's what we had to play. In school, tag. All the 1st thru 6th grade boys played it at recess. I don't know what the girls did, and didn't much care.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Checkers and dominoes. Maybe not my favorites, but that's what we had to play. In school, tag. All the 1st thru 6th grade boys played it at recess. I don't know what the girls did, and didn't much care.

All us boys played tag too, but with BB guns. ???

Not in school though. ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
packerbacker said:
I guess you could call it mischief. In the teen years we were called "hoods". We all wore baby blue, silk jackets and combed our hair in what was called a "ducks a$$" in the back. We hung out at a pizza joint playing pinball until someone got a brainstorm, like stealing a car. ;D We could win free games on pinball and the girls all played the jukebox. Funny thing, the girls usually sat by themselves. :dontknow:
One of the all time favorite kids game in our West Pennsylvania neighborhood was baseball. We played baseball or whiffle ball all day every day and I bounced the ball off the backyard wall until way past dark.

But as kids one of our favorites when the adults werent around was Mumbly Peg or something like that. We would start the game with 2 people, 1 knife and a wooden peg poounded hard into the ground.

Two members would spread their legs in a wide stance. The first member would toss the knife in between the legs. If it stuck in the ground, you would move one leg to the knife. It was like "chicken." Each round the feet would get closer and closer together to within inches. The first member to move or say "I quit" had to pull the mumbly peg out of the ground with his teeth. It could take hours. If you could not pull it out, you had to eat the top off level to the ground would be considered OK. It often resulted in bloody feet but that was better than being a chicken.

But hey I thought we were talking about nice games, not mischief. . We used to steal cigarettes, build fires, steal food and cook and smoke in the woods, had rock fights,, build forts, play war games, tie prisoners to the tree all day, etc etc I guess thats why some of us grew up in Clairton Pa to be hoods as teenagers and progressed to stealing cars at 14 and 15 yrs old, getting drunk, drag racing and running from the cops.. :(

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks are taking me way back. In my younger days all the kids in our neighborhood played "kick the can".....and try this next one today...

The players of the high school basketball and football teams use to drive around our neighborhood after dark dressed in gangster outfits armed with squirt guns, and water balloons. Us younger kids use to fill water balloons and arm ourselves with buckets of water and garden hoses. Parents had "no" worries and sometimes they even joined in the fun that would often last into the wee hours. Very sad it can't be like that anymore. Very sad indeed. :'(

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I googled my old childhood game of mumbly peg to see if I could find any information on it and sure enough to my surprise I found it!! Im glad to find out that its an old game of skill almost all boys once played in the school yard or anywhere there was a patch of soft turf. Mark Twain's book Tom Sawyer, Detective recounts "mumbletypeg" as one of boys' favorite outdoor games. But with increased concern over child safety the game has declined in popularity.

I always thought I grew up as a juvenile delinquent but Im so glad to find out my early childhood was just good clean normal fun. :D I think some older meaner kids pounded the peg in a bit too deep lol. The game continued as a popular activity at summer camps into the 1970s.

You can read about it here: Mumblety-peg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is lighting off cherry bombs and m80's in the movie theater considered a "game"? On one occasion I was walking by my girlfriend's house in the middle of the night with a friend of mine. For some reason her dad and I didn't get along at all and we had to be sneaky about our relationship. Anyway, it was around the 4th of July and I had a few cherry bombs left over. I knew which windows were to her parents bedroom and I noticed one of them was open and a gentle breeze was causing the lightweight curtains to flow in and out of the window. Need I say more? >:D

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I still play with it :hello:

Attachments

• Picture 025 (3).jpg
    Picture 025 (3).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 329
OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good combination to me....Foster's and slot cars!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirty digger dude said:
Skully. We used to play that for hours.

Another city boy :headbang: How many types of caps did you have?

1- the standard bottle cap with cork
2- bottle cap cork, filled with melted crayola's
3- The pride of the fleet was the glass ring off the bottle top.. Smooth and most accurate of them all.. If it got hit by a heavier cap, well, it was pieces :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions