Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

poorhunter78 said:
How long it take you to peel them filet's off that Whisker fish KK? :dontknow:
I was taught by granpa, then reassured by my dad! I can have the filet's off a 12-20 inch channel in 30-45 seconds, With a sharp knife and my skinnin pliers.

Just curious if the same method is used?

It takes me a little longer than that. I fillet from the tail up. I know, it's backward, but that's the way I learned it, and old habits are hard to break.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

FarmerChick said:
yea KK
you don't fillet them....they are whole fried, just gut them and cut off the head, flour up to your liking and fry whole.
the tail ends up crisp as can be

I knew you can cook them whole, but I've never tried eating the tail.

texastee2007 said:
typically you have to skin a catfish....

I have skinned them, but a good fillet knife will slice that skin off nicely.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
I was taught by granpa, then reassured by my dad! I can have the filet's off a 12-20 inch channel in 30-45 seconds, With a sharp knife and my skinnin pliers.

It takes me a little longer than that. I fillet from the tail up. I know, it's backward, but that's the way I learned it, and old habits are hard to break.
I stick the knife through by the horns, Where the gills are. Cut down to the anus. then cut from the dorsal to the head. Then cut through the skin on each side of the head. Then take pliers and peel the skin off. Break the tail end off, Wash, rinse in water. Then filet from the tail up. Sound familiar?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:

I stick the knife through by the horns, Where the gills are. Cut down to the anus. then cut from the dorsal to the head. Then cut through the skin on each side of the head. Then take pliers and peel the skin off. Break the tail end off, Wash, rinse in water. Then filet from the tail up. Sound familiar?

I take off the head, gut the fish, and fillet both sides from the tail up. I fillet the skin just like any other fish, except you have to be a little more tender with it. The meat around the rib area I like to save for bait.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:

I take off the head, gut the fish, and fillet both sides from the tail up. I fillet the skin just like any other fish, except you have to be a little more tender with it. The meat around the rib area I like to save for bait.
An old timer from where we camped on the shenandoah. RIP Dink Wilfong, A great knowledgable man. Used to ly the catfish on its belly, on a board. Just cut right strait down both sides of the fish. Then peel the skin off. I am very efficient with the way I have learned. Can't understand other ways cause I only know of 1. I aint seen anyone filet a fish the way I do. :dontknow: Thats why I had to ask. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

poorhunter78 said:
An old timer from where we camped on the shenandoah. RIP Dink Wilfong, A great knowledgable man. Used to ly the catfish on its belly, on a board. Just cut right strait down both sides of the fish. Then peel the skin off. I am very efficient with the way I have learned. Can't understand other ways cause I only know of 1. I aint seen anyone filet a fish the way I do. :dontknow: Thats why I had to ask. :thumbsup:

I'd have to watch you do it to fully understand. I wish I could watch you, because I'm sure you could teach me a better way. I've seen people fillet bluegill with an electric knife...just go down one side, flip the fillet and cut the skin off. Turn it over and do the other side. Very fast.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:

I'd have to watch you do it to fully understand. I wish I could watch you, because I'm sure you could teach me a better way. I've seen people fillet bluegill with an electric knife...just go down one side, flip the fillet and cut the skin off. Turn it over and do the other side. Very fast.
I could take video with my camera. Not sur if I could post it on here or not. Once you do a couple it gets easier and easier as you go. I have actually had to take the .22 to subdue some catfish to clean them. The kind where you get like 5-8lb filets. I wish I had a dollar for every catfish I have caught. Some Fishin trips could have paid for themselves. :headbang:

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:

I could take video with my camera. Not sur if I could post it on here or not. Once you do a couple it gets easier and easier as you go. I have actually had to take the .22 to subdue some catfish to clean them. The kind where you get like 5-8lb filets. I wish I had a dollar for every catfish I have caught. Some Fishin trips could have paid for themselves. :headbang:

If you can put it on Youtube, it would be easy to post here.
I like catching the big ones, especially the big flatheads.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we ice pick thru the head and cut skin behind and peel down to the tail

oh yea guys, that tail fried is tastier than any old potatoe chip!

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

texastee2007 said:
Well how I clean a catfish seems to be pretty easy and a little different then others...but heck I'm a gal so my hands are smaller. I snip the fins with the skinning pliers....those fins hurt. I run a fillet knife on each side of the top fins at an angle and remove fin with pliers. I then grab the front side fin at the joint where it meets the body, you will feel the joint, by snipping a small hole first...this will take off a big patch of skin as you pull the fin off toward the belly, repeat on other side. Now you have two large patches of skin missing on each side and across the belly. I then peel the rest of the skin off on the belly toward the head. Then from the rest of the belly to the tail removing the small fins on the backside slice right off. The rest of the skin comes off like a large puzzle. I then cut through the gills and throat...twist the head off. I slice from where the throat was all the way down the bottom to the tail...remove the goodies for the kitty and pup who are watching. There is a membrane inside the fish and you need to completely scrub this out...If the fish is in good water where you caught it...this will remove any tanky taste completely. I then put the fish in the freezer on a large cookie sheet just till the fish gets stiff. I then take a fillet knife and run it from tail to front with such ease as all the softness has been taken care of....it works so very well and all of this take hardly anytime at all...the longest time is waiting for the fish to stiffen up a bit in the freezer.

Sounds like a good way to do it. I can't bring myself to fillet or skin a fish while it's still alive. That's why I remove the head first. They don't suffer as long.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

FarmerChick said:

I've seen people nail them to a tree, through the head, and skin them. But they keep making sounds through it all. ;D

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
FarmerChick said:

I've seen people nail them to a tree, through the head, and skin them. But they keep making sounds through it all. ;D

oh, ours are dead before skinning happens---that croaking sounds they make just kills me lol

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

FarmerChick said:
night fishing for crappie
wow we did tons of that

delish fish fry

And you can tell a crappie by the way your line moves. I've only caught them in the day time.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
Yup! I'd say 12-15 lb.

Wait I looked at the pic closer. 15-20lb. They are my favorite to battle to shore. Have set the hook on some big ones, And lost whole spools of heavy braided line. I had a setup 5 rods with Abu-Garcia baitcasters. Traded them all in for spincasters. To cast farther.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

poorhunter78 said:
poorhunter78 said:
Yup! I'd say 12-15 lb.

Wait I looked at the pic closer. 15-20lb. They are my favorite to battle to shore. Have set the hook on some big ones, And lost whole spools of heavy braided line. I had a setup 5 rods with Abu-Garcia baitcasters. Traded them all in for spincasters. To cast farther.

I never thought I could get use to baitcasters, so I never tried.

I didn't weigh this fish, but he was 20" long. Small compared to some, but he's the first of the season.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
FarmerChick said:
night fishing for crappie
wow we did tons of that

delish fish fry

And you can tell a crappie by the way your line moves. I've only caught them in the day time.

oh nightime, we would anchor and tie off under a bridge, then bring out the lights into the water and just catch them by the bucketload. you need a bucklet load of those to have a big fish fry and feed a group of people lol

heck certain bridges you would have to 'get there early' cause many people tied up...regular old party!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread