A family for a family

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
This is a story about my mom who gave up her family for her family. I'm writing this because I want as many people to know what a great mom she is. :icon_thumright:

Dad was in the Army and stationed in Germany when he met mom. They fell in love and got married and then I came along. (Yeah I was a military brat) :laughing7: After dads service was up we bought a house and moved back to dads hometown in Georgia. On our plane trip over my Grandmother passed away. My mom was devestated. A couple months later my mom was having a rough time here, so she and I flew back to Germany. Dad had to take care of a few things and came a month later. We lived there for the next few years and then my sister came along.

They decided to move back to Georgia when I was 5. Mom basically had to start a new life. She left what she knew and come to a place that she didn't know. I'm not gonna lie, it was hard for her. She is the the most sweetest person, but people don't understand her. She looks at things different than most. A trait that I hope I have.

About 8 years ago we recieved a call that my Grandfather had passed away. Not long after, another call that they were gonna dig up my Grandmother because her time was up. In Germany you have to rent grave sites I guess you could say. If I'm not mistaken it's somthing like $1,000 a year with a 20 year minimum. Nobody had that kind of money. She was devestated once more.

This is just a ripple in a glass of water compared to the ocean on what she has been through. I'm very blessed to have a mother like that. She would give up her life for her kids and she did that very thing.

I want to send them on vacation to Germany for a week, maybe in the next year. I want to surprise them with it, so my question to you is this. Can I get a passport for them without them knowing??

Thanks for taking the time to read this...... :icon_thumright:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never heard of rent a grave? that is soooo interesting. what do you do if you can't not afford to rent anymore? that is so wild.

your mom got into that situation like so many. marrying a military man. many women fell into that category and yes I am sure it was so hard to leave all you knew in life for a new life. best one can do is think of it as an adventure and change happens thru life constantly.

nice story and I hope you can make that trip happen! :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing a noble thing there buddy, but unfortunately, you cannot get a passport without them knowing about it.. Too much paperwork, especially today..

I never knew that Germany had rent a plot... I know conditions are even worse in Japan.. I think after a year they pull you up and crush the remains and stick them in an urn, they in turn go into a niche for a limited amount of time too.. I have no clue where you would go next over there :dontknow:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
texastee2007 said:
they have to take a picture and sign the papers....might be impossible to get one for them. What a beautiful thing you are trying to do.

Thanks Texastee!

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
FarmerChick said:
I never heard of rent a grave? that is soooo interesting. what do you do if you can't not afford to rent anymore? that is so wild.

your mom got into that situation like so many. marrying a military man. many women fell into that category and yes I am sure it was so hard to leave all you knew in life for a new life. best one can do is think of it as an adventure and change happens thru life constantly.

nice story and I hope you can make that trip happen! :)

Thanks, it is kinda odd having to rent a plot. Guess of all the lack of space. :dontknow:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
You're doing a noble thing there buddy, but unfortunately, you cannot get a passport without them knowing about it.. Too much paperwork, especially today..

I never knew that Germany had rent a plot... I know conditions are even worse in Japan.. I think after a year they pull you up and crush the remains and stick them in an urn, they in turn go into a niche for a limited amount of time too.. I have no clue where you would go next over there :dontknow:

Thanks Spart! I kinda had my doubts about it, guess I might let dad in on it and tell mom that he is gonna take her on a cruise or something. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread