fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In february 2002 I was training in Norway and they were almost a nightly thing. They were one of the coolest things you can see. Down here in Utah we dont get too many of them but if you check out NASA's website and space.com they will give you alerts on what the sun is doing and let you know if you can see the lights in your area.

S

Smee

I remember that once back in the 1980's there was some sort of anomaly and the northern lights were visible here in southern Arkansas.

We spent the entire evening out watching them. Quite beautiful.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Anybody had a chance to see them? Always wanted to but the closest I'll ever get is a flashlight on the bedroom ceiling. :laughing7:

LOL :laughing9:

nope but I wish I could

can you do shadow puppets on the ceiling? :laughing9:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
bigscoop said:
Anybody had a chance to see them? Always wanted to but the closest I'll ever get is a flashlight on the bedroom ceiling. :laughing7:

nope but I wish I could

Sort of ..... :laughing7:

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following link monitors solar flares. When the red gets to your state - you should be able to see the Northern Lights. I saw them about 6 years ago in Racine, Wisconsin over the Lake. It was Awesome. You don't have to just look north because they move. These appeared in the north and moved eastward. Later in the night the sky just flashed like popcorn popping above my head.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html OhioDeb

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually saw them in Oklahoma 3 or 4 times the last 50 years. Mostly a big red glow in the north. Never seen them here in Colorado, but I heard we're comin into a period where they might be visible far to the south.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
FarmerChick said:
bigscoop said:

nope but I wish I could

:laughing9: wipe that smirk off your icon!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
bigscoop said:
FarmerChick said:
bigscoop said:

nope but I wish I could

:laughing9: wipe that smirk off your icon!!
:laughing9: You should see what I can do with flickering candle light! :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
a flickering vision before my eyes

do I then need to poke them out :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Hey, you're too funny and very quick witted. I like that! :wink: :love4: :hello2: :laughing7:

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
I was raised in the upper peninsula of Michigan an dwe used to see them a lot during the winter nights.
And when Karen and I lived in Northern lower Michigan we saw them sometimes. They sure can be a
beautiful sight with the colors flashing back and forth across the night sky. It's awesome.
Ray

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S S said:
I was raised in the upper peninsula of Michigan an dwe used to see them a lot during the winter nights.
And when Karen and I lived in Northern lower Michigan we saw them sometimes. They sure can be a
beautiful sight with the colors flashing back and forth across the night sky. It's awesome.
Ray

I'm really going to miss all those quiet camping trips in the U.P. The loons. :'(

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back at ya! :blob1:

oh big time camper here. we love it and hit the beach constantly...love the waves but that sand for detecting is my biggest draw!
I go to Hunting Island in 4 days for a long 9 day week! oh the treasure to detect...you know I can't wait !!

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, Big scoop, and how about the Whip-por-rills? We used to hear them calling as soon as it
got dark.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S S said:
Hello, Big scoop, and how about the Whip-por-rills? We used to hear them calling as soon as it
got dark.

Tonight I'm going to pretend I'm sleeping in my tent up north. Bet I sleep like a baby! :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Had the opportunity to view the spectacular northern light show while at Eilson AFB north of Fairbanks Alaska... :thumbsup:

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
I live in Central Louisiana and back in the 1980's I saw them. It looked like Kisatchie National Forest was on fire to our North.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have not seen the N Lights yet, but I'd sure like to. Have seen a total eclipse in Montana in 79...kind of understood why it was such an event in terms of man's historical reaction; it is so unnatural in a visceral sense.

Eskimo story of The Northern Lights
An Eskimo Legend
"Auroras - or Northern Lights - are believed to be the torches held in the hands of Spirits seeking the souls of those who have just died, to lead them over the abyss terminating the edge of the world. A narrow pathway leads across it to the land of brightness and plenty, where disease and pain are no more, and where food of all kinds is already in abundance. To this place none but the dead and the Raven can go. When the Spirits wish to communicate with the people of the Earth, they make a whistling noise, and the Earth people answer only in a whispering tone. The Eskimo say that they are able to call the Aurora and converse with it. They send messages to the dead through these Spirits."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread