Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gadsden, AL:

The owner of Mal’s Pawn Shop on Broad Street bought the coins, which were sealed in a coin display book, for $1,120, May said. After the man who sold the coins left the store, the coins were more closely inspected and were determined to be steel, May said.

“They are counterfeit and look very authentic,” she said.

http://www.coinflation.com/

Looks like this was an Honest Pawn shop this time.

He paid silver Melt Value

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Chinese copies are getting very good. I even heard of counterfeits being encased in PCGS and NGC grading service's slabs, that look identical to the real deal.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was down at the big Riveride California competition metal detector hunt last April. One of the coins I won was one of those 2 peso Mexican gold coins. I discovered last month that is was a counterfit gold coin when I tried to trade it in at a coin shop. The coin shop guy said the Chinese are flooding the market with just about every conceivable coin they can copy. The Chinese even slab the coins in official looking PCGS plastic holders with the hologram seals. I sent the coin back to the hunt master in Southern Calif. and was sent a genuine 2 peso gold coin a few days ago as a replacement. So just be careful anytime you buy a coin or even get a coin.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig your coins.

The odds are much better they are real.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:
Dig your coins.

The odds are much better they are real.

Not always! This 1876 Seated Liberty Half was dug last year by my hunting partner. Unfortunately, it is counterfeit! It is made out of some kind of pot metal, it also reads zinc penny on a metal detector meter. My friend was really depressed when he found out it was not real. He gave it to me, it kind of looks good in my curio cabinet.

Attachments

• Counterfit Half268.jpg
    Counterfit Half268.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 301

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread