bobsreturn

Greenie
May 27, 2011
far north queensland
Detector(s) used
whites gmt and 5000d
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 4wd trayback and wish to camp on it . I have looked at canopies $5k [would rather be at hilton hotel ], slideon campers bigger $$ . Tents on ground prefered by local crocs for takeaway . How do you guys cam[p on site .
? Figure theres some good ideas out there. regards Bob

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a fiberglas cap on my pickup, roll out the bag, kick out the wife (she snores BIG TIME). Go to sleep. Tailgate makes for nice dinner table...........NGE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I bit the bullet in 2004 and never looked back. Xplorer xcrsion, 221/2 ' 6 wheel drive lol. It's like staying in the Hilton in the middle of no where. With all the wheels driving and only 22 1/2' long you can camp any place you can drive and with 305 diesel HP It has no lack of power. Now the down side, It only gets 13 MPG. With full fuel tank, water tank and LP tank I could last 2 weeks comfortable in the boondocks. The queen size has 6" of foam. The micro is also convection. The fridge is 5 cu. ft. I got a good deal from the manufacturer. If I would have waited a few years later ,after the economy pooped out I never could have gotten it. It has prospected, and cache hunted all over the USA several times. Sometimes your dreams do come true. Frank

Attachments

• 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 215
Jun 26, 2011
Frankn said:
I bit the bullet in 2004 and never looked back. Xplorer xcrsion, 221/2 ' 6 wheel drive lol. It's like staying in the Hilton in the middle of no where. With all the wheels driving and only 22 1/2' long you can camp any place you can drive and with 305 diesel HP It has no lack of power. Now the down side, It only gets 13 MPG. With full fuel tank, water tank and LP tank I could last 2 weeks comfortable in the boondocks. The queen size has 6" of foam. The micro is also convection. The fridge is 5 cu. ft. I got a good deal from the manufacturer. If I would have waited a few years later ,after the economy pooped out I never could have gotten it. It has prospected, and cache hunted all over the USA several times. Sometimes your dreams do come true. Frank

that is real nice but a little small for me! :headbang: :headbang:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Frankn said:
Frank ,
That looks great to me . I spent over 20 years living self sustained in a space barely larger than the bumpout over your cab . Raised and educated 4 kids and kept a family fed under those circumstances .

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have done it both ways,slept on the ground in a pup tent,or larger 12 x 12 family tent,with just sleeping bags or a cot and bags. Also have slept in a truck hauled camper and a pull behind camper. As I have gottn older, i prefer something a little softer than the ground to sleep on. Personally, I can sleep better in a hammock than anything else. I guess Gilligan knew what he was doing after all. rockhound

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the wife is going along we take the camper 26 coyote. If if is just me I just sleep in the truck.....Matt

S

stefen

Used to kick out the horse crap, swing the divider away to one side, an set a cot in one of the aisles. Clothes and gear were stored in the manger...

Now it's motels, hotels or B & B's...new wife drew a line in the sand...no more home on the range :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Matter of which side of the line you stand on , I guess . ;D Sleep with a wife or alongside horse
crap . Personal preference .

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met some folks from Australia some years back who had built a platform over the top of their Landrover, and they pitched a tent on it when campin. Whatever area they were from, it wasn't real safe in some places to sleep on the ground. If it's just me, I sleep on the ground no matter the season. After about 30 yrs. of camping I finally gave in and bought one of those roll up foam pads. I camp here in bear and mountain lion country and never have any problems or concerns because I take the proper precautions. When Maria goes, or to get her to go, I have to bring the tent and had to buy an air mattress. Too bulky and heavy for my liking when it's just me, but you know they really ain't that bad. I want to urge everybody to read up on the local flora and fauna in the area they intend to camp. Be 'bear aware'. Fire ant aware and poison ivy aware are good ones to know too.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
We have a place in the mountains of Pa. not too far from the Md. border, sleeps 6-8 inside with a 10' x 20' screen porch . I still like to fall asleep & wake up lying on the ground under those big oak , beech & hickory trees with no tent. Although as the years pass , the ground seems to get harder & harder. No fire ants here luckily, but there's some copperheads & a few rattlers around. Nothing like laying by the coals of a campfire &
lookin up at the stars thru those huge old trees & dozing off.

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:
Matter of which side of the line you stand on , I guess . ;D Sleep with a wife or alongside horse

Both give ya a load of HC...and both kick like a SOB...

The benefit is that you can strap on the spurs and get a hell of a ride... :hello:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
stefen said:
truckinbutch said:

Both give ya a load of HC...and both kick like a SOB...

The benefit is that you can strap on the spurs and get a hell of a ride... :hello:
I AH Think I ain't goin there :tongue3: :tongue3:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
local crocs enjoy canvas? :laughing9: hmm...forget that then.

well I was big tent for a long time, (no local crocs to worry about)
then I was truck camper (big old fancy one) to pull the boat
then I was small travel trailer
then I was larger travel trailer with slides
now I am BIG travel trailer with slides

my next buy is a brand new big truck to pull my brand new 5th wheel toyhauler with big slides

oh yea, I am paying for the american dream and I like it :laughing7:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever happened to the westen spirit?? The women walked driving the pigs, goats, and cattle while the men rode hawses. (they had to be rested and ready for hand to gland combat with outlaws and Injuns). The women didn't object to sharing the bed with his firearms, and always had hot coffee ready.

Now??. sigh air conditioned luxury, even telephones , and television..

What's wrong with the mules sweaty, damp, saddle blanket under you and a blanket on top? Saddle makes a fair pillow. The gentle crunch, crunch, of the mule contentedly grazing near by is comforting and makes for good sleep - anything shows up and the mule wll let you know.

Only one large coffee cup is needed, so you don't have to lug along useless gear.

Sigh modern people.

Don Jose de La Mancha

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the key word is luxury
and I sure enjoy it

forget the mule and wagon train....long gone...time to join this century :laughing7: :laughing9:

well you can have the mule and wagon train experience, buy the 'dude ranch' vacation package :headbang:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay Don, I still enjoy the outdoors. I spent a week in Red Cloud Canyon in Cal. prospecting. In my motor home. I think I saw 4 other people the whole time. It was the same as the bag on ground camping during the day except at meal time I popped the pre cooked vacume frozen meal in the micro and it was ready in 4 min. At night I slipped into that queen size overhead bed knowing the door was locked and my glock was on the shelf beside me. As you get older you do get soft, but only at meal time or bed time. Frank

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
matress in back of truck with plactic cover 4 poles with nails in the top a 12x12 tarp put the poles at each corner of the tarp over the nails use rope and steaks at each corner tighten ropes at angles from the poles put the rest of the gear in the cab and sleep away the night come day time drop tail gate and it becomes kitchen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread