Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a new computer and the sales dude tried to get another $100 out of me to have their tech. go through the steps to load windows and whatever else, and create a back up disc. I really like the idea of a recovery disc because I will only use this computer to surf, and if I can reset it to "new" once a year by running the back up disc that would be great. So here's my question... The sales person seemed to imply this disc had to be created at the same time I am loading these programs, and is that true? Or can I put every thing on, use it for say a week, then have a friend create the recovery disc then? I'm pretty rock dumb when it comes to computers and I don't want to screw myself out of a recovery disc because I'm anxious to fire it up. (because I'm fine for the moment because this is a 2nd computer)

S

Smee

If I were to be using a computer to surf the internet only, I would get me a CD copy of Ubuntu Linux (www.distrowatch.com has ISO's for free) or one of the others and run the OS from the CD.

1. No possibility of infecting your computer because the malware could not write itself to your CD Rom.

2. No need to restore your computer because it didn't get infected in the first place.

Ubuntu is actually a great OS, and is as close as Linux has ever gotten to compatibility to window$ as I've seen. Flash support so you can watch Youtube videos as well.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clone my drive and do traditional backup to externals every once in a while. If it is difficult for you to backup, remember that, usually, your data is a very small percentage of the bits and bytes on your hard drive. You can burn a CD every once in a while of just the data you have created. If you have a ton of pics/videos, this may not be applicable. The biggest pain is reloading your programs. If you clone, you switch cables and go. Regarding transfer rates, less time is spent backing up and restoring. There are numerous sound methods, but it depends on your situation.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Assuming the new computer is Windows 7, I would recommend using the built in backup program for Windows. You can get a larger external hard drive these days, 1 terabyte or more, for a reasonable price. Setup the program to do backups, either entire system for program restore purposes, or Data only, whichever you prefer.

Don't forget to also create the repair disc which will be needed if you need to do a full restore since your new computer probably did not come with a Windows 7 disc.

Here is a tutorial on how to use it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-files

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread