Could you, would you, take this trip?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allow me to take you back to a time of conquest and discovery, to a time when skyscrapers didn’t line our beaches and a good ship was made of wood and a few square sails. Imagine the coast of Florida completely void of concrete and glass, just miles and miles of sand dunes, and tall palm trees swaying in the ocean breeze. You’re several yards from shore and yet you can still hear the waves rolling onto the beach while others continue to slap against your ship’s hull. Above you the square sails are flapping in the breeze as your eyes continue to watch yet another new land slowly pass by. Each sight is new and exciting, but still unexplained. Everywhere you look there is adventure and beauty, curiosity and stimulation. A million thoughts have passed through your mind, yet another million still await their turn. There are no phones, no satellites, no planes leaving streaks across the clear blue sky. You are alone on the unexplored seas, in search of whatever might be found among the endless expanses of the unknown.

In those above moments, those very moments when their eyes were consuming every wonder before them, I have often wondered what these men were thinking, what thought, or perhaps emotion, was lingering in their head? Was it a sense of adventure? Perhaps thoughts of fortune and fame? While I was sure that both of these thoughts had played upon their temptations and aspirations, it just wasn’t enough to drive them to risking so much, there simply had to be more. And then one day, as I was strolling along a section of secluded beach it suddenly dawned on me what it was that had driven them to the edges of an unknown world. And in a single word I can describe it with ease. That word is freedom, a complete and unrestricted freedom that men will never know again. The whole word was theirs the minute they set sail.

PS: Not a political post in any way. Just saying......"Now this would be freedom!"

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nah I probably would not...I would be back in the old country, being a servant, in a castle, stuck for the rest of my life, doing what the masters told me to do.

would I, if I could, probably not. I am not the adventureous type to go into unknowns--like they did in the olden days. besides, while bass boat fishing is OK, high seas makes me terribly seasick :tongue3:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, when you factor in the unknowns, the obvious dangers, the certain hardships, and yet, think of the adventure, that knowledge that once you were out there it would be just you and a world full of discovery. :dontknow:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
until you get scurvy or any other dreaded disease....sure no hopsitals anywhere close...lol
and while I know disease killed many in cities, your chances out on a ship in the middle of nowhere with only sails...yikes

deadly trip has a real meaning on those adventures

so many never made it on all these life adventures, but in the olden days it wasn't truly and adventure for most...it was to escape tyranny, build new lives from nothing, ---hope ya know. it wasn't like National explorer leading an expedition to see just how high that mt. is

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I'm the kind of guy that likes to see what is over the next hill, But in the ocean, there's usually just another wave to be seen, besides my feet work better on land than water. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread