Teens go on unarmed nature hike

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
in AK and nearly become bear feces !
WHATINELL ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING !!!!?
For centuries humans have known that grizzly bears are a very real danger to people in wild country .
A group of teens just learning wild country survival blithely stroll through griz country with nothing but spray cans of bear condiment (pepper spray) and get attacked by a bear . National news headlines and the media defends them for being stupid :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
"You skin that one , Pilgrim , while I go fetch you another one !"

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
The last paragraph is priceless ...

bear sign.jpg

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mind being on the stroll with them... Just so I can outrun all of em... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Doh !

The ONLY handgun I own (.44 Mag w/a clumsey but efficient 8" barrel) was bought specifically for a trip into the AK backcountry.

Wifey hiked ahead of me on one moose trail and hollers back "Hey, there's a half-eaten moose up here". Told wifey "And exactly what do you think might eat half a moose and leave the rest for later ??? Get back here !"

Diggem'

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
duh, people are morons and always will be, that won't change

and what suffers? the bear...probably will track and kill it cause it attacked people.

even tho, I read that a hiker walked in between a mom and cubs and was attacked and they caught the momma and cubs and relocated instead of euthanizing her. they said the bear was not at fault just doing what is natural. interesting to see that cause usually it is death sentence for human attacks

people do not have any respect for wildlife and its environment

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Park rangers have made it nearly impossible to pack any kind weapon into a wilderness area for self protection. It's better to have a bunch of teenagers get mulled or even killed than have someone with a .45 on his hip for protection! >:(

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I think of it as a mental form of ===darwins --survival of the fit theory -- dumb folks do dumb things and thus many do not live long enough to reproduce , --however to make up for their high morality rate --dumb folks tend to breed like rabbits once they do start breeding -- much the same way "helpless" rabbits are highly prolific breeders == its a numbers game. --breed enough and some will survive by sheer force of numbers.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
I think of it as a mental form of ===darwins --survival of the fit theory -- dumb folks do dumb things and thus many do not live long enough to reproduce , --however to make up for their high morality rate --dumb folks tend to breed like rabbits once they do start breeding -- much the same way "helpless" rabbits are highly prolific breeders == its a numbers game. --breed enough and some will survive by sheer force of numbers.

:notworthy: Couldn't have put it better myself there Ivan!!!! I love it!!!! Sadly,( NOT!!!!!!!) my ex married into a family like that, He made his bed and he can lie in it!!!! :notworthy: Red :laughing9:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the complete story on this, go to the Denver Post online, and read the story since the one kid was from Denver. On the face of it, they did everything right. They were trained in wilderness survival but got in the wrong place at the wrong time. To survive an encounter with a Grizzly sow with cubs and live to tell about it counts for something. These guys were not your average greenhorn pilgrims stumbling around in the wilderness. There is no reason for the bear or the cubs to be hunted down and killed in this case. (Disclaimer: I myself would have felt better with a gun. These guys were too young to own one, but maybe at least I could have shot myself before the bear ate me plumb up)

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
RGINN said:
For the complete story on this, go to the Denver Post online, and read the story since the one kid was from Denver. On the face of it, they did everything right. They were trained in wilderness survival but got in the wrong place at the wrong time. To survive an encounter with a Grizzly sow with cubs and live to tell about it counts for something. These guys were not your average greenhorn pilgrims stumbling around in the wilderness. There is no reason for the bear or the cubs to be hunted down and killed in this case. (Disclaimer: I myself would have felt better with a gun. These guys were too young to own one, but maybe at least I could have shot myself before the bear ate me plumb up)
You can be doing everything right driving your family back home from church when an 'out of control driver' crosses into your travel lane and wipes out your family in a head on collision . Nothing you could have done to prevent it ......
Walking through bear country without serious deterrents in hand is a different matter . I don't care how careful you want to be ; bad luck can make you bear crap if you aren't prepared . Ya chose to be there in
bear country .

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
duh, people are morons and always will be, that won't change

and what suffers? the bear...probably will track and kill it cause it attacked people

Not much difference between that and sticking a 44 in it's face and pulling off - what I'd do if I couldn't avoid it.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:

Sometimes you're the fish and sometimes you're the bait.
Why is it we feel we have to set everything 'right'?
Is living in fear living at all? I live in bear country but I don't pack everywhere I go.
I can understand their decision to carry non-lethal means of defense. Why should they be critized for it?
Personally at my age I would really prefer to end up bear scat than spend any time at all in a 'home'.
ymmv- :icon_sunny:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
calisdad said:
RGINN said:

Sometimes you're the fish and sometimes you're the bait.
Why is it we feel we have to set everything 'right'?

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

These guys were too young to own one, but maybe at least I could have shot myself before the bear ate me plumb up)

Is living in fear living at all? I live in bear country but I don't pack everywhere I go.
I can understand their decision to carry non-lethal means of defense. Why should they be critized for it?
Personally at my age I would really prefer to end up bear scat than spend any time at all in a 'home'.
ymmv- :icon_sunny:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stu pid kids...
I camp frequently. Here's what I saw on the way to my camp site recently...

Camping 7-4-12.jpg

I'm Still Here... :thumbsup:
Scott​

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you folks are going into bear country Unarmed... At least carry EX-LAX in your pocket... So after you get eaten.. The Bear Can Easily $hit you out...

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG Love the ExLAX!!!! LMAO Chug and Red!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm...
Ex-Lax...
I might have to carry some with me while I'm camping to shove down the bear's throat while I make my safe "get-away!" :laughing7:

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions