"Just Pay Seperate Shipping, Handling and Processing..."

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just Pay Seperate Shipping, Handling and Processing..."

I've seen some pretty cool stuff advertised on TV.
A few of them even have a decent price.
BUT...
Then they say, "But wait! If you order now, We'll Double the offer. You just pay additional shipping/processing/handling."
Well, what if I don't want or need two of the item?
This is where they get over on you.
Does anyone have a story relating to this?

Best,
Scott

F

Felinepeachy

Re: Just Pay Seperate Shipping, Handling and Processing...

No story but it's usually the shipping and handling cost as much to just purchase the dang item. So they get you with separate shipping and handling. It's ridiculous. I can wait for the item to come out in the "As seen on TV" store at the mall. It's better that way anyway because I can look at the item and see if it's junk or not. It usually is. :tongue3:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm intimately familiar with the 'As Seen on TV' advertising world. Basically, everything is figured out to a science. Generally, the product only costs about 25% of the retail price to manufacture - usually in China or some other Country with cheap labor. So, if it sells for $20, chances are it cost about $5 to $7 to make...if that. Even if the order is 'doubled'...same price - $5 to $7. The whole game in the As Seen on TV world is PERCEIVED VALUE. They want you to THINK you're getting something expensive for next to nothing. They want you to THINK that they are actually losing money by doubling your order...none of which can be further from the truth :laughing7:

The rest of the money is for the production costs for producing the commercial, buying the airtime (which is expensive), paying the crew & hosts, warehousing the product, setting up the telemarketing crew, etc., etc., etc. After all their hard costs, the company with the license to the product generally has about $4 or $5 dollars left over for profit - sometimes less. BUT, if the product is a hit, multiply this $4 or $5 by millions of units sold and you can get an idea of how much money is to be made - or lost :laughing7: Oh, if the product hits it big, it will then move into retail distribution which means even more millions :thumbsup:

One of the BEST & EASIEST ways they make money & beat the customer is with the upsell. When you buy that beautiful vegetable dicer on t.v. & call to place your order, surely you'd also like to order the royal blue limited edition egg slicer & how can you not buy the miracle hard boiled egg remover. Both are just an additional $4.95 each with separate processing & shipping Mrs. Jones, fair enough?! KA-CHING!!! This is primarily the way they milk most of the money out of their customers :sign13:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Usually whatever they sell is so cheap... The life expectancy is very very short...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Just Pay Seperate Shipping, Handling and Processing..."

Or like my ex did. Bought a closet hangup everything you own in less space thing for $19.99. Shipping & handling brought it up to almost $30. About a month later I see the same EXACT thing in Big Lots for $4.99. She never heard the end of that one.

Also, heard that the marketers did a lot of studies & a lot of money to figure out that $19.99 was the price that most people were attracted to psychologically.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boogeyman said:
Also, heard that the marketers did a lot of studies & a lot of money to figure out that $19.99 was the price that most people were attracted to psychologically.

Marketing is invariably based on psychological studies.
If they can make you think that you must have the item or that you are getting a deal, they win.
The human nature is one of greed and laziness.

If a person thinks that they are getting a product that will prevent them from doing an inordinate amount of work or that they are getting a "good deal," the next obstacle is the price.
Make the item appear inexpensive and then force them to receive an additional item "Free. Just pay separate processing, etc."
That's when the next facet of human nature is exploited; Gullability.
Once they have you on the phone, 90% of their goal is achieved.
Studies have shown that most people have a hard time saying, "No" when actively engaged with "Sales Professionals."

I have no trouble saying, "No." Especially when I avoid "Sales Professional."
("Sales Professionals"...think of used car salesmen...)

Best,
Scott

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON

Or the salespeople for good old Inferior But Marketable.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess it's like the good old nose hair trimmers. The way I hear it was they didn't make anything off of them, but made millions selling lists of names of people who were gullible enough to buy them. If they'll buy a nosehair trimmer they'll probably buy what ever you got.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder what angle that the shysters wanting to buy your gold have?
I'd bet that they score on the gemstones that they receive...

Best,
Scott

Hmmm...
I'm buying gold. Send me your broken and unwanted gold rings, etc. I'll pay 1/10 of current gold prices!
Do you need cash for bills? Cash for vacations? Be sure to include gem stones with submission. :laughing7:
Immediate payment! CASH!
PLEASE! ::)
These leaches' mantra is from P.T. Barnum; "A sucker is born every minute."
Time to harvest, Leroy!
(Disclaimer: No disrespect to anyone named Leroy intended...)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, you gotta keep up on the tricks if you're selling. Example, I have 1 chain & 1 ring both appraised that I use to test buyers I haven't dealt with before. Here's a trick this guy tried to pull. He took the necklase looked at it with his glass & said he wasn't sure if the mark was legit. He pulled out his trusty neomydium magnet put it to the clasp. It picked it up, and he promptly declared it plated, but he'd give me $2 for it as junk jewlery anyway?!?! I told him, did you forget the metal spring in the clasp? He stuttered & stammered, and watched as five other prospective customers walked away. He was figuring he'd make over $128 on the necklase but it cost him six customers not to mention his reputation. Be careful, use your head & don't be gullible, and you'll do good. Don't snap up the first offer either, you'll be surprised how much an offer is sweetened if you shake your head pick up your items & start to walk away.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boogeyman said:
Yeah, you gotta keep up on the tricks if you're selling. Example, I have 1 chain & 1 ring both appraised that I use to test buyers I haven't dealt with before. Here's a trick this guy tried to pull. He took the necklase looked at it with his glass & said he wasn't sure if the mark was legit. He pulled out his trusty neomydium magnet put it to the clasp. It picked it up, and he promptly declared it plated, but he'd give me $2 for it as junk jewlery anyway?!?! I told him, did you forget the metal spring in the clasp? He stuttered & stammered, and watched as five other prospective customers walked away. He was figuring he'd make over $128 on the necklase but it cost him six customers not to mention his reputation. Be careful, use your head & don't be gullible, and you'll do good. Don't snap up the first offer either, you'll be surprised how much an offer is sweetened if you shake your head pick up your items & start to walk away.

Most excellent post!
I used to work at a coin shop a few years ago and I made sure that honesty was what was known of our shop.
I frequently paid more for items than customers wanted and told them why.
Our shop was the "go to" shop within 100 miles. :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I work at a grocery store that has a "As seen on TV" isle and it sells pretty well right around Christmas time. I also have a friend who has some killer sunglasses that he bought on line for about $75,with a lifetime guarantee,the catch is if they ever break(and his have),you send them back and get a free pair.which costs you around $15,his have broken 3 times already,that's $45 already,for some reason he can't see that he's getting ripped-off! :dontknow:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AU24K said:
boogeyman said:

Most excellent post!
I used to work at a coin shop a few years ago and I made sure that honesty was what was known of our shop.
I frequently paid more for items than customers wanted and told them why.
Our shop was the "go to" shop within 100 miles. :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott
Sounds like you've learned the #1 lesson word of mouth will make you or break you. Good word of mouth is worth $1000s in printed ads. There was actually a study done back in the late 80s early 90s that showed one dissatisfied customer cost most big stores 5 customers on average. Can't remember the numbers, but I was staggered at how much 5 customers spent in a year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread