Any motorcyclists want to share their close calls? (the importance of helments

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Any motorcyclists want to share their 'close calls'? (the importance of helments

I was recently asked about mine;

About 25 years ago, I road a older model goldwing (81). I loved that bike. It had 4 carbs and a point ignition and I loved tuning the dwell on, etc. I could even stand on the seat and surf it down the street if I pulled the choke out to get a decent idle from it. I painted the bike an Aqua Blue Pearl. A beautiful color as it has many colors in various lights (as pearl does). I kept that bike up kept so well, you could eat off the engine block.

One day, I was following traffic on a 2 lane road when I heard a siren behind me. I turned around and saw it was about 1/2 mile back. When I turn back around, the truck right in front of me was stopped directly in front of me and I had no time to react but to leave my bike (as it landed into the back of his truck) and my fast thinking made me kick myself up and found myself pushing myself off the top of his cab so I wouldn't hit it, and then sliding along his hood before I hit the ground in front of the truck. I hit the ground and because my bike loved me so much, it seemed to find me again because it laid on top of me, pinning me between it and the pavement as we slide along before we came to a stop. All I can remember (it happened in flashes) was trying to push this big bike off of me as we slide along.

I stood up and the first thing that came to mind was to identify anything that was broken, so I moved every muscle I could think of, looking for any ailment, considering the accident that had just happened. It looked like a little 'break dance' routine right after a big accident, right in the middle of the road. Crazy. Adrenaline was flowing through me and I felt no pain at the time, so I picked up what was left of my bike and it's parts and hauled it to the side, as I didn't want to be a cause of a traffic jam.

Low and behold, that same ambulance behind me pulled up to treat me. They made me sign a waiver saying I wouldn't go with them, but they did tell me that I needed many stitches in my scalp.

Long story short (trust me, there's a lot more to this story), I ended up limping for about 3 months. The helmet that I wore looked like it went through a cheese grater from grinding along the pavement.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Re: Any motorcyclists want to share their 'close calls'? (the importance of helments

Also approximately 25 years ago I was riding a Yamaha XS400 at 50mph along a fairly straight road just outside of town but with light commercial build-up and some parked cars along the shoulder.

A mid-size dog came running out from between two parked cars and I don't even think I even had time to reach for the brake. Wham, hit the dog broadside (killing it) instantly flinging the bars to one side, and I flew like Superman to the pavement. The first thing to hit was my right hand (leather gloves) and my jaw (full face helmet).

I skidded along and since I didn't impact anything, I got up right away (to the surprise of the on-lookers). A little later, I paced back the distance to see how far I slid. 25 paces, about 75 feet.

The only real damage was skuffing on my gloves/jacket and a 50 cent coin size round abrasion to the chin bar on the helmet. I was fine overall except for temporary swelling around my chin/jaw where the helmet contacted, and rode the (bent) bike home.

If anyone tells you that full face helmets 'break your neck' or any of the other BS heard about helmets, I know first hand it's just not true.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Re: Any motorcyclists want to share their 'close calls'? (the importance of helments

When i rode, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Ducatti's etc...i looked like a stormtrooper from star wars! I couldn't care less about "freedom" and looking cool. Living with all my parts in working order was paramount for me!

I think a lot of the time in America you get away with things because, to me, Harley's are like your "muscle" cars, built for cruising and looking good....and not much else!
I think a lot of accidents are avoided with Harley's due to the fact that they're heavier and the rider is cruising comfortably and not tear assing around like on a Japanese bike, and it's easier for them to swerve or pull up in time.
Still, hit the tarmac with your face at 30mph and it'll still end up looking like a wedge of cheese on it's side no matter which bike you're riding!
The same goes for your arms, legs and any other unprotected part of you. Extolling the virtues of "freedom", "liberty" and "the American way" i imagine isn't much fun when done from a wheelchair or coffin?

You wouldn't use a chainsaw wearing cut down jeans and sandals, (although i know people would,have and will.) so why ride a bike without the best protection? Crazy! :icon_scratch:

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)

Dano Sverige said:
When i rode, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Ducatti's etc...i looked like a stormtrooper from star wars! I couldn't care less about "freedom" and looking cool. Living with all my parts in working order was paramount for me!

I think a lot of the time in America you get away with things because, to me, Harley's are like your "muscle" cars, built for cruising and looking good....and not much else!
I think a lot of accidents are avoided with Harley's due to the fact that they're heavier and the rider is cruising comfortably and not tear assing around like on a Japanese bike, and it's easier for them to swerve or pull up in time.
Still, hit the tarmac with your face at 30mph and it'll still end up looking like a wedge of cheese on it's side no matter which bike you're riding!
The same goes for your arms, legs and any other unprotected part of you. Extolling the virtues of "freedom", "liberty" and "the American way" i imagine isn't much fun when done from a wheelchair or coffin?

You wouldn't use a chainsaw wearing cut down jeans and sandals, (although i know people would,have and will.) so why ride a bike without the best protection? Crazy! :icon_scratch:

did you say Japanese bike? :wav: :wav: :wav:

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

I was parking my Buell m2 cyclone in my yard, to turn it around I had to go under the clothesline, so I would lift it and ride under and turn around and park it on the edge ready to go next time, well 1 night after a 12 hr shift I rode up and completely forgot the line was there and it caught me in the middle of the face and pulled me right off the bike. I fell on my back and my head hit the sidewalk and even at the slow speed it cracked the back of my helmet. funny now yes, but let me tell you once I caught my breath again I sure was mad at the idiot who forgot the clothesline (me) .slow speed accidents can hurt you. I am sure an emergency room visit would have been in order w/o a helmet.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

I'll still ride free and pay attention to what I'm doing .

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

im old but on the dirt yes. street ehh

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

truckinbutch said:
I'll still ride free and pay attention to what I'm doing .

The problem with that mate is that 90% of motorcycle accidents are caused by OTHER road users! You just can't account for the stupid things other drivers do, and it's no consolation to you knowing the other driver is in the wrong when you're flying through the air at xxmph into a wall/tree/road...in your jeans and T-shirt!

"Riding free!" is all well and good as long as everyone else drives with "due care and attention". Unfortunately, every other driver is the best in the world in their minds and amazingly selfish, inconsiderate, and in this day and age of cellphones, texting and sat' nav'.....stunningly inattentive, you're literally dicing with death!
If you're a single guy then more power to ya...if you have a wife and kids then you need to consider them and their thoughts too. It's not easy pushing your husband/father around in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, and harder to bury him!

Over dramatic? Maybe, but it can take less than 3 seconds for a bike accident to happen. An accident that you as the rider have NO say or control over whatsoever. You Americans don't carry a toilet brush around to protect you, you carry a gun, for obvious reasons. Why be a fool and take huge risks in other areas of protecting your life?

Just my thoughts. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread