goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 18 out of 30...but it is no fair! But I'm only 15....I'd like to see CC2004 or Detectingfreak get that.

BTW- X+Y=8
X+4=Y

I know this is easy, but solve it using the substitution method showing all your work

4pie(r)squared is used to solve....

swine:pig::Pie(D):______

(this is what i remember after three months of summer, as soon as i get back in school, i can give you trigonometry!)
HH
-GC

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
With 7 children I have added several new gray hairs trying to figure out the way the teacher wants problems solved. And it has also led to lots of frustration when I back into the answer and my little cherub shakes his/her head and says"Ms ...... says that's not the right way to do it" They use terminology that is foreign to me. I even suggested a glossary of terms for parents to help us understand. I had all the algebras, trig and analytical geom. when I was in school. I do know that if Tim left New York city traveling south on a train at 75 mph and Bill left Richmond traveling north on a train at 65mph., somewhere in Maryland there is going to be one hell'uva train wreck.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
minelab rick said:
With 7 children I have added several new gray hairs trying to figure out the way the teacher wants problems solved. And it has also led to lots of frustration when I back into the answer and my little cherub shakes his/her head and says"Ms ...... says that's not the right way to do it" They use terminology that is foreign to me. I even suggested a glossary of terms for parents to help us understand. I had all the algebras, trig and analytical geom. when I was in school. I do know that if Tim left New York city traveling south on a train at 75 mph and Bill left Richmond traveling north on a train at 65mph., somewhere in Maryland there is going to be one hell'uva train wreck.

Minelab Rick....that is the same reply we get from our children as well. "Mrs. So & So says to do it this way."....frustrates me to no end!!! You should have seen the way they had my oldest boy doing division this past school year....I showed him how I was taught and he said that was the wrong way. EXCUSE ME!!???....I don't think so, esp when I get the answer awhole quicker than you get yours doing it the way this teacher is showing you!!!! Math is math....you either add, subtract, divide or multiply...why all these LONG ways to do a simple prob. I'm not talking Algebra, Trig, etc...I am talking just plain, every day simple math.....UGH!!!!!!! (Pulls out hair). I even showed my youngest how to carry over a number (like when adding 2 or more digits) and he showed me a way the teacher taught them that was totally Greek to me. Just carry the number over, why all the hoopla over it????

Anyways....said my peace and enjoying the last week before school starts!!! :)

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Moderators we need Homework Help on TNet for these desperate kids....and some of us adults........We have any volunteers....."serious volunteers"?

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that why we have a paper shortage ....doing long division.....and answering a simple this is what happened with a 3 page essay... ??? I had the same reactions from my kid when it came to math and figuring it out...she'd say no Ma and scribble down 6 lines of #'s x #'s =#'s +='s........makes you wanna scream! They're taking out common sense!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ellehciM said:
Is that why we have a paper shortage ....doing long division.....and answering a simple this is what happened with a 3 page essay... ??? I had the same reactions from my kid when it came to math and figuring it out...she'd say no Ma and scribble down 6 lines of #'s x #'s =#'s +='s........makes you wanna scream! They're taking out common sense!

i know!

in geometry, we have to do huge tables with 16 steps, showing work for each! it can be as simple as X + 4 =8 and still take three lines of paper to solve!

HH
-GC

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
goldencoin said:
BTW- X+Y=8
X+4=Y

I know this is easy, but solve it using the substitution method showing all your work

X+Y=X+(X+4)=2X+4 2X+4=8 2X=8-4 2X=4
X=2 Y=6

goldencoin said:

4 x pi x r(squared) gives the surface area of a sphere.

goldencoin said:

Sorry, my pies are round. But if you mean PI times D then you have a circle.

And this from an old fart. Give me something hard.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Good job. Trips!
I had to sit here for 10 minutes before it made sense, but I finally got to the same solution as you did. maybe we old duffers still count for something.
(I love bad puns)
grizzly bare

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI ; use the Vedic math tech.and get the answers mentally, simply and instantly. heeehehehh Of course despite being much simpler, quicker, and more accurate, it will not be accepted by your teacher since she only knows the old fashioned laborious way.

You can do all math in your head by using the vedic Math principals.

Tropical Tramp

Use this model and do Gc's problem.

Attachments

• Quadratic equations.jpg
    Quadratic equations.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 212
  • PP2  Q E.jpg
    PP2 Q E.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 207

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
ellehciM, I'll help out. I happen to work for the company that develops/assesses the MCAS (the Massachusetts equivalent of the SOL testing). -Ben

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nhbenz said:
ellehciM, I'll help out. I happen to work for the company that develops/assesses the MCAS (the Massachusetts equivalent of the SOL testing). -Ben
OKAY ...Im sure she will let you all have it once school gets to rockin...so far she's doing it on her on brain fuel! WHICH IS WONDERFUL!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Trips said:
goldencoin said:
BTW- X+Y=8
X+4=Y

X+Y=X+(X+4)=2X+4 2X+4=8 2X=8-4 2X=4
X=2 Y=6

goldencoin said:

4 x pi x r(squared) gives the surface area of a sphere.

goldencoin said:

Sorry, my pies are round. But if you mean PI times D then you have a circle.

And this from an old fart. Give me something hard.

Stupid spell-check....

My mind has rotted over the summer, so i can't give you anything about triginometry or surface area of cones.

Plus the corect answer for #3 is PI(D):PI2(R)

Need to understand what the teacher wants!

HH
-GC

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Read this a little late i guess, i am going into 9th grade and am doing 12th grade math (3 years advanced) algebra was really easy for me and would be happy to help. Just PM me.

-CC

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2+6a+4a identify terms coeffcients and constants.......Probably the dumbest thing I have ever asked...

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michelle said:
2+6a+4a identify terms coeffcients and constants.......Probably the dumbest thing I have ever asked...

Coefficiants- the 6 and the 4
Constants- 2

;D

HH
-GC

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Michelle said:

Sounds like "new math" has made a comeback. Terminology being more important than methods of solving, and it being okay to get a wrong answer as long as you got it "the right way."

This is how we get adults who can't make change without the cash register figuring it out for them. You know, the kind who can't do $1.00 - 89¢ = 11¢! ("Duh, that's a nickle and a penny, right?")

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
hey gypsy this is samantha michelles daughter thanks for that website it helped me alot due to the fact that it practically gave me the correct answer ... don't worry i did them first .. then checked them .. in my textbook all the answers are in the back of the book , and my mom looks there to help me ... do you know any good english websites .. could use them now .... thanks again !!

samantha :)

p.s. thanks everyone else too :)

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys and Gals...I actually let her work on "my computer" and made sure she "did the work herself"....Thank you Gypsy....the sight you referred us to is a giant help....(ESPECIALLY FOR ME) Im not too bright in the math department....but I love learning it now....Kinda fun actually!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread