Homework Help on Tnet????

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question.....My daughter is into some serious work this year in the 8th grade and I being a complete dummy at regular math, fall into the almost stupid category when it comes to trigonometry and behold algebra........Im lost.....anyhow the question is if she or some other kid needed help (serious) would the brainiacs on tnet help her? I realize there are other math related sites that help with homework on the internet but I dont let her stray off into the world to easily She gets really distractd with all the flashing lights and things going on on the screen.....Unless there may be one I dont know about which is very likely also.....Any help is apprieciated.......Thank You

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to know algebra when I first got out of High School,
But Never needing it in the Real World, Made Me forget it, Sorry.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I used to know algebra when I first got out of High School,
But Never needing it in the Real World, Made Me forget it, Sorry.
Thanks Jeff I only took basic stuff and since I have a kid now she honestly in the past few years has had me brushing away cobwebs to remember alot of stuff and even she has taught me stuff...I ve learned with her alot of things....and she is very good at Math....because it involves numbers and numbers make MONEY.....She has an A-B average and I like that...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There Should be someone here who Remembers It.

I do remember it was Very simple, when I first Learned it, But ???

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
I say...post the question(s) and see if you get any replies or PMs. There might be a few out there that are too shy to say something (mathmaticians are like that) but will jump at the chance to solve it.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Ill bookmark this for her...(Just another excuse to use Mom's computer)Just kidding , mine is faster than her's and it drives her crazy!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I really don't think WE PARENTS will ever understand math. I remember my father always getting mad trying to help me with mine and saying "This new math....what ever happened to 1 + 1 = 2?" (BTW: My father was a wiz in math....could figure anything out, except our homework LOL)

Well, I found myself saying that when my dau was in school and even more so with my boys!!! UGH....I tried to teach them simple ways to solve a prob and they are bound to sticking with the way the teacher taught them....the way they teach them in school...it takes more steps to solve the prob...Did I miss something when I was learning math??????

We just received our sons SOL Test results (for non-Virginian's...that means "Standard of Learning" tests)..they both miss 2 questions our of 50 on their math tests and have Advanced Proficiency....I'm so proud of them!!

I really dread to see how they teach math when my grandkids start going to school (PS: and I don't have grandkids yet!!!) UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Elle....wish I could help you there....I was a B Avg in Algebra in High School...but I have been out of high school for *$)(* years now and lucky if I can remember that 1 + 1 = 2...LOL...Oh, I know math...just being silly, but not the Algebra.

Best wishes to your daughter, I know she will do wonderfully!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Learning (HL)........Annmarie

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey....I do apprieciate that push...and as far as the SOL's the board of education is deciding whether to retest the entire 7th grade from last yr. due to some kind of a mishap with the application of the test????Who knows... ???

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ellehciM said:
Hey....I do apprieciate that push...and as far as the SOL's the board of education is deciding whether to retest the entire 7th grade from last yr. due to some kind of a mishap with the application of the test????Who knows... ???

Oh, I hope they don't have to....and why should the kids have to retake something that was not any fault of their own? Geezz...they go through enough just to prepare to take it for the first time.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure whether they will or not...waiting on replies....says the school!Seems alot more kids than ususal failed the proficiency and there were concerns they were not prepared properly by the teachers...Not sure of my owns score but she was at B on her final math report card....will see!

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Hey, I'm a parent, I'm nearing 50, and I remember all of my high school math. (Some of the college level stuff, though, I would need a bit of a refresher.) Not only do I remember "If X+5=9 then X=9-5=4" but I remember (X+Y)(X-Y)=X2-y2. I also remember my trig. I would be able to help. Note that I said help. It was the same with my kids when they were in school. I will direct them to the answer, but never actually give it to them.

As to the question of "why don't you want to learn my method" the answer is this: in school, you aren't taught to get the right answer by any correct method, you are taught to answer with what you were taught. (I learned this lesson in fourth grade, when a student teacher from out of the region was certain that a poorly drawn map was more accurate than my experience with the local roads. I gave the correct answer, she graded me wrong because I didn't give the answer she said the map showed. Lesson: respond with what the teacher wants, not with what is correct.)

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I use to sub-teach mostly with k-3rd graders and the methods were strange but very comprehendable for young kids. Thank You also.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I'm 15 and going to be a softmore and, i think I'm going to be taking trigonometry. I am ahead of everyone else in math and have an IQ higher than 97% of the nation. At my Jr. High, i was one of the top ten students (IQ-wise). I will try my best to help if you need it.I don't know everything, but i can remember fast also, Coolcash 2004 and detectingfreak are my age and might be taking the same class.

HH
-GC

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
The site that Gypsy gave is a very good one and there are many other ones out there to help. If you have a College or University near you many times they have programs that the Students volunteer their help for extra credit.

I tutored High School Algebra years ago while in College and having completed Trade School before that I could break it down into understandable terms and applications for myself and students. Even though I never finished College, I still use Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry and Calculus everyday at work so I actually have real world applications for it. I am a little rusty on what they're looking for in the classroom applications but I would gladly help if I can. Not to say anything bad about Teachers, my Mom is a Teacher but many of them don't know how to teach it in applicable terms because they don't actually apply it, they teach it. Sometimes being able to put things into relative terms and situations is the bridge to actual comprehension and application versus memorization. If I can help just PM me.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
ellehciM,
SOL testing is extremely important for that is one way for students to receive "verifiable credits" each student has to earn a certain number of verifiable credits to graduate. The retesting you mentioned will actually be in the best interest of the greatest number of students. The pass rate was terrible.
Now for my rant.
I HATE THE SOL TEST!!!
(yes I'm shouting. sorry, but I get very excited about this topic)
The state first said that the tests would not drive the curriculum but would ensure that all students got a similar "quality" education. Then the state turned around and said that any school that didn't perform at "X" level on the SOl would lose it's accreditation.
Then almost all schools started teaching directly to the tests.
A horrible example.
Before 9/11 a county close to Fredericksburg(let's call it Spotsylvania as a pseudonym) did not have the country Afghanistan in their Lesson plans---because it wasn't tested on the SOL. They were not allowed to talk about/teach about that country even though it featured predominantly in the news reports following the attack.
I believe in competency testing, but not to the detriment of a good solid well rounded education.

BTW This was the same county where as a Senior English teacher I was forbidden to teach Grammar because the kids should already know it before the senior level. I am MUCH happier at Fauquier High. The school is great and I love the community.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow .....TTramp, I wanta go shoot myself after taking that test......Now I really feel stupid!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread