lost my system restore

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
i was having problems with my computer(hp nc6400),it wouldn,t follow links or urls in mailbox,or websites,so done a system restore,no help.
Undone the restoration,still same problem,but also lost the delete/spam/move/mark as/ in my mailbox,and the Mage add-on
keeps popping Up.
And when I go to restore,it shows a blank page.
I downloaded manual from HP was unable to read it,but puter won,t let Me download adobe
the only way follow link back to tnet is either type it in,or save in documents,then launch from there.
Iv,e only had the computer for about a week(bought used)
can anyone help?
Thanks,And HH,Mont

F

Felinepeachy

Hang on Monte, let me get hold of Koala. He's a computer guy in the military. BRB
JC_run.gif

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

1) Smash computer.

2) Call store for new computer.

3) Enjoy new funny kitten videos.

Sorry, thats all I got. Hopefully you laughed.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Pollock also :icon_thumleft:

I am a bit confused as to what your problem is. Can you PM me you number? Won't be able to call until tomorrow. .

Shawn

OP
OP
montepollock

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
Well,I called HP maintenance and support and after listening for an hour to tech telling Me what they will do
,then tells me 169$ for restore.
All I wanted was a recovery disc she tells Me it wont take care of My problems.
I v,e never had that kind of problems with toshiba,the recovery disc solves all ills.
So tonight My Wifes HP goes back to walmart,and Mine goes back to Ebay.
unless someone here wants to buy a LIke New HP nc6400 for price I paid,189$.
HH,Mont

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
do you have a partition on your hard drive for the restore. Alot of HP do not come with restore disks they have it on the partition

also do you have Windows 7 on it

if you do I can have my wife burn our restore disks and mail them to ya.

OP
OP
montepollock

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
well somehow inside of HP,I got diverted to a site called IYOGO where I got the 100$+estimate.
A friend made some calls and got ahold of a Live HP Techie.
anyway I,m ordering a recovery disc that should take care of all problems.
Price? only 12$.
I,m still using XP,had some difficulty with 7,just takes a while to get used to.
Thanks,and HH,Mont

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Monte, I have one suggestion.

Start/run/cmd/enter

When you see the command prompt, do the following one line at a time.

cd \
cd windows\system32\drivers\etc
ren lmhosts lmhosts.old
ren hosts hosts.old
exit

You should now be back to the desktop. The very first thing you need to do is run an antivirus scan with updated definitions.

Once a current AV scan is done and any errors resolved, reboot.

Explanation:

Some viruses begin by blocking access to the antivirus sites. They setup the hosts and/or lmhosts to point back to your computer (127.0.0.1) rather than the intended site.

Any site found in the hosts or lmhosts ip address list overrides the Domain Name Server (DNS) that your machine normally uses, because it checks the table before asking DNS for resolution.

This is not a shot in the dark. Over the years I have helped many people by actually editing their hosts or lmhost to find a bad pointer. Since you're a home users (assumption) you should have no need to use the tables, always going to DNS for the most current address of your target.

Hope this helps and you can use the machine before the recovery disk arrives.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually, if your machine is that new, it may have a recovery partition on the hard drive. Open your computer (start/computer) and see if there is a recovery disk shown.

Mine shows an HP Recovery disk on drive D:

If so, go click once on the start key. Enter the word recovery in the search box.

My machine shows two programs, recovery manager and recovery. I would select the recovery manager and follow the prompts if I were going to recover my machine back to the original manufactured state. (Not going any further, but you get the idea!)

If you have one, that should surely solve the issue for you.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
The first think 'I' would do is create a thumb drive with a bootable virus scanner on it. AVG has one (you have to follow their directions on their site). After booting to the thumb drive, do an 'update' through the internet, and then let it run through it's entire scan (depending on your drive size, it could take many, many hours).

I always do this first whenever I see 'crazy behavior'. Because sometimes, viruses are downloaded by users faster than the anti-virus programs can update their software, and most viruses these days are 'root' viruses(mean their not detected unless you boot to a thumb drive).

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this resolved? Pm me and we can do a one on one. Much easier that way.. Let me know....

Shawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread