🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Hi Breezie. I'm in Greensboro and we felt it too. Building was shaking like a big 18 wheeler going by but lasted about 40 seconds. Definitely a first for me. Called one of my colleagues in Wilmington and he said "thank God-I thought I was having a flashback"!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure your natural gas lines etc. are all still intact. That's usually where folks run into trouble if they think all that happened was the pictures got crooked and they broke a few pieces of China. Check your structure! Then relax...there's nothing to 'em. Better than a tornado anyday. :icon_thumleft:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC here
I sure felt it.
in fact as the house shook I walked to the window thinking a high wind was shaking the house.
ugh

hope everyone in VA is OK!!!!!!

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The eastern part of NC was torn up by a tornado this past April. I had a friend who literally rode in her house (in the closet) over 150 feet. Hurricane Irene is on the way to NC. What's next, locusts? :laughing7:

Actually I was home alone when the quake hit, and the first thing that crossed my mind was an 18-wheeler had hit the house. Then when it continued, I was between thinking it was the Rapture (seriously) or an earthquake. The only other earthquake I remember was in 1969. I was in college, and was carrying a manual typewriter across the hall, and it moved the locked carriage on that typewriter as well as me. My sister was on a business trip in Taipei, Taiwan in January 1986 when they had a 5.9 quake there. She said it was unbelievable; the hotel chandeliers were swinging so hard they were hitting the ceiling both east and west.

According to the news, there were only minor injuries, thank God.

Breezie

PS: Mmm, I'm wondering if anything shifted in the dirt around here??? I think I'll shut this 'puter down and go MD! :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Hell...in California, we grab onto the nearest doorway or post and use a quake as an exercise machine :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Much rather have a quake than a hurricane, tornado or flood any day.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
But I like the hurracines, they clear away the dead sand. Frank

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason why I'm in Maine now is because my wife couldn't handle the quakes in California. Heck I was used to them, just stand under the doorway and hold the wife, cat and dog and try and stop them from scratching you. :laughing9: :laughing9: I was downtown LA when the big one hit in 1969 and I was on the 14th floor at 6:30 in the morning. Now talk about shaking we tried to run but couldn't as we all ended up on the floor and when it was all over we headed down the stairs to see all the tiles that where on the walls all laying on the stairs. Now that was an earthquake never forget it. 7.2 I believe :help: Funny now but not then. Charle

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny. I was in front of my house talking to a guy about looking at a job, and he said "we are having an earthquake"! I said, really, wonder when it will get here? He said it was happening still way into the conversation. LOL My wife was scared to death, she works in Richmond. So I was on the phone with my sister while ago and we had an after shock! She freaked,, called her sister and they were freaked , And I missed it again! Weird I didn't feel either one. They said the second was 4.2

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I told family and friends here in rural Mexico, the US had a bad earthquake and everyone was all panicky. They asked how bad it was, and I told them 5.8. They laughed and laughed, because here 5.8 is nothing. But, I told them in the US houses aren't built for 7.0 or 8.0 earthquakes and people aren't used to them.

Resonance is the real building killer. My house is built with beams at distances small enough that resonance between 20 hz, and 2 Khz can't happen, and most earthquake energy is in that range. Not to mention that beams are like 8 inches, filled with rebars, and the vertical ones have tremendous footings in the ground. And, the roof is made with so much rebar in it, you can't walk on the roof before they pour the concrete on it, at least not with my big feet.

Still, I'd better not crow too loudly until the house experiences a major earthquake. The last one here was 1999, and the house is new.

I remember quite a few years ago, back in the Midwest we went to an Easter church drama of the life of Christ. They had big speakers, and at the appropriate time, the earthquake in the Bible, they played a loud earthquake tape. My wife let out a scream and jumped out of her chair to leave the building. She was so trained as people are here, to exit in case of any level of earthquake, it was a reflex response.

S

stefen

Frankn said:
But I like the hurracines, they clear away the dead sand. Frank

Also remove all traces of Trailer Parks (oops, Mobile Home Estates) and can be beneficial
as a self-funded Urban Renewal program...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, bigfoot, they didn't build with earthquakes in mind in those areas. We had a pretty good one down in Trinidad, CO. I don't know about that. I come from Oklahoma, and you can outrun a tornado, but in an earthquake there's nowhere to run. Maybe the volcano over at Dotsero will become active again. Bring on the apocalypse, I'll enjoy it.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in Waldorf , MD and felt it while I was driving to NJ, had to leave NJ because of the hurricane possibilities today and when I got home my frying pan was off of the burner and there was minor damage to my relic collection. :o

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 127
S

stefen

RJH02 said:
I was in Waldorf , MD and felt it while I was driving to NJ, had to leave NJ because of the hurricane possibilities today and when I got home my frying pan was off of the burner and there was minor damage to my relic collection. :o

Recommend that you use a product called 'Museum Wax' which is used to keep display objects in-place...

Will not affect or stain displayed objects...quite safe, in fact.

PS. Make sure that you use an ample amount of Clorox Bleach in your next white wash :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread