Down goes the Grid

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I covered some of this in the other thread but would like to expand more on it here. According to the location of the country where you live and the availablility of water in your area, you would need to consider a rain or water catching reservoir. A simple rain barrel catching the runoff from your houses gutter system will help offset any water shortages for a short period. You can use to bathe or flush toilet with, and after boiling can use to drink. Plastic 55 gallon barrels cna be bought for water storage or even food storage. Only if left outside would you need to make them animal proof. We are entering another solar alignment, which could or couldn't effect us. We are also entering another reversal of the suns polarity which could result in increased solar activity and eve a solar storm, which happened in 1859. If it were severe enough it could knock out the power grid. This scenario would escalate into chaos before it could be brought under control. Overnight almost all stores would be ransacked and their goods removed by the masses. Those who hadn't planned ahead for such a disaster would be in a hard spot. With no electricity people would get frantic, with no TV, computer, phone or radio, most would hit the panic button. Those who grew up before such conviences would fare better. Those who had food, water and some type of energy generation, solar, wind or gasoilne generator could sustain their cold food supplies until they had time to consume them. Dry foods could keep almost indefinitely. Most canned foods will keep for an extended period of time also. All grains can be kept for long storage periods, rice, dry beans, dry soups, cereals, dried fruit, jerky, flour, cornmeal, oatmeal, pasta, and crackers can be used over long periods of time. Peanut butter, jams and jellies, pickles, ketchup, mustard, kool aid type drink mixes, tea, coffee, sugar, salt baking soda, are all good choices. Spam, treet, sardines, tuna, canned chicken, canned ham, roast beef, beef stew, corned beef hash, potted meat, vienna sausage keep well. Water purifier tablets or purifier bottle is a necessity. More later. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Toilet tissue, paper towels and or napkins, matches or lighter, full tank of gas for grill, coleman camp stove and fuel, dried milk, dried eggs, canned cream, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, turpentine, plus various home medicines. All these are not necessary but would be greatly appreciated in a power outage of any length. Even samll solar panels can recharge phones or rechargeable batteries, in case of restored service. Also radio stations may be your only source of information. A solar radio or a crank type, solar flashlight or shake light, solar lantern, and some kind of heat source is a wise option, especially in the winter months. You can easily build a rocket heater which uses small braches and twigs, is portable and puts out plenty of heat to cook or warm by. Also a solar cooker is easily to build and works good if you have enough sunlight.
After all is looted from the stores, it wil take about a week before they start looking elsewhere for food and water. By then they will be hungry and throw caution to the wind. The best precaution would be to keep a low profile, using only enough electricity to see by and keep the windows blocked by curtains and shades to avoid giving away your presence. Only fight if it is a last resort, because you will be vastly outnumbered. I know a man who has been preparing for this for several years now, and still hopes he don't have to rely on it. He had three concrete septic tanks end to end , with two of the ends cut out. Only one is for water storage,runnign water from his house into it through an underground pipe, which runs through a rock bed, then a sand bed, then a lime bed, before entering the reservoir. The two with the ends cut out are the living quarters. These are buried with only one entrance through a buried 55 gallon barrel with the ends removed. A cover on top is camoflaged and unless you knew it were ther you would walk over top of it without knowing it was there. more later. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
This is a worse case sceanario of course, and hopefully will never happen, but our grid system is all tied together and is very vulnerable to sun storms, terrorists attacks or even wind, earthquakes, volacanos, tornados, hurricanes, snows, or floods. These can leave an area or many areas without power for weeks or months. Most are somewhat prepared but many aren't and will suffer because of it when it happens. Elenin, the asteroid, may or may not effect us when it passes, NASA isn't saying much about it yet, and may not. It will pass nearby on the weekend of September 25th. You can watch videos of it on you tube if you want to get more information about it. Also the sun changes its polarity evry 11 years. The last time it changed polarity was in 2001. It is due to change again in 2012. We are in a low sunspot activity period now, but when it changes, we wil go into a high suspot activity level. This is what happened in 1859 when we got hit by a massive sun storm. We only had telegraph then so many didn't even notice. Now with our electric power grid and electronic equipment we rely on daily, we would be devastated. Electric, communication and all satellite links would be severed. Depending on the severity of such an event, it could possibly take a year to restore power to some areas of the country. Any backup system would be welcomed by anyone fortunate enough to posses them. With tornados, huricanes, earthquakes and volacanos becoming more common and more powerful, it could happen anytime or anywhere. We may be in for a rough ride in the near future. Hopefully everyone can be at least partially prepared when and if it happens. A simple solar cooker. More later. rockhound

Attachments

• cooker.gif
    cooker.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 550
OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
For the rocket stove plans or to buy one you can go to rocketstove.org or www.rocketstove.com There are other websites to download free PDF plans of different sizes of rocket stoves, from simple portable cooking units to whole home heating. These are the most efficient designs in heating and cooking with firewood. Also can use any combustible solid, wood pellets, coal, even dried animal dung. A rocket stove has been a lifesaver in underdeveloped and developing countries, especially the ones with few trees or vegetation. It only needs small twigs or branches to create enough heat to cook or warm with. The cuttings from your tree prunings will work just fine after they are dried. More later. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Thanks for the website, and yes that is one of them. Also an instructional video for those who are interested in it www.aprovecho.org/web-content/media/rocket/rocket.htm There are many more videos on you tube about construction and use of the rocket stove. Also wiki-pedia has more information on it. These were designed for and have been used in third world countries for over 30 years as a cooking source. Their design utilizes the rocket thruster stages to intake oxygen more freely and create a hotter flame without consuming more wood. It is like putting a blower on a stove to increase temperature. They are the most efficient designed stoves available. I will post more general ideas as I have time. I am designing and nearing ready to buid a sunroom on the south side of my house. It will help heat the house during the winter and also grow vegetables year around. I am going to install several solar panels in there to charge batteries and power some of my houses electricity. I can run all my LED lights and LED grow lights from these units. Right now I am also designing a heater using low electrical power to heat my home. Heat pump works good, but is not the most efficient design out there. I am also looking at installing a tank as a reservoir to heat water before it goes into my hot water heater, which is a tankless water heater. All this can be installed in my sunroom and save countless money on electricity. The solar panels are also under developement to make them more effciient. All of these I am in the process of designing on my CAD system as we speak. I have some definite ideas about improving on all these systems.
The rocket stove would be a backup system for me, depending on how well my other system works out. You can purchase a small cooking stove for $12.95 from www.sportsmansguide.com also www.BUDk for water purification tablets and bottles. More later. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
More on the story on Comet Elenin. The other side of the story. It is not large enough to cause all these eartquakes, instead there is an organized conspiracy to infuse fear into the population through misinformation. Elenin is a object on a planned course calculated by some intelligent being(s). It is not a destroyer of anything. It is very small, that was why I couldn't see it. On October 10 it may be visible from earth with the naked eye. For more information go to you tube, Red Ice Radio, Richard C. Hoagland, Comet Elenin. This video goes into detail about the trolls on you tube and facebook trying to inflict fear into the masses. We should still be prepared, no matter what comes in the next few months. NASA anounced today that comet Elenin was far too small to cause any damage to the earth. It will be almost impossible to see it with the naked eye when it passes. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
NASA has said it is going to be a non event, but they are moving some CIA, FBI and NASA offices to Colorado as we speak. Away from the coast and into the mountains. Seems they may be afraid of another volcano erupting and causing another Sunami. I don't think there would be a good place to be safe, if this is something other than a comet. I am just getting prepared for whatever happens, but I am not going to let fear rule my life. Whatever comes, I will deal with it in my own way. Pray that it does not effect our planet and keep a positive attitude that this will just be a wakeup call to those who are not paying attention. We have seen how asteroids and comets can and will effect any planet that is in its path. The Hopi indians call this the dark star, and have been predicting its arrival for years. The Mayans claimed that the world has been destroyed four times already. Once by fire, twice by ice and once by water. All were triggered by a large object coming in close proximity to the earth. The path of this object doesn't seem to be on a close orbit to the earth. If it causes any problems, then it would have to be a massive object, not just a comet. I am having a hard time tracking it down to see it. Possibly when t gets closer I can actually get a good look at it and the determine its size. It is hard to know what to believe when we have two different sources saying opposite things about it. Someone somewhere has an agenda they are pushing, and I think it is one of fear. Good Luck. rockhound

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
rockhound, are you talking about nibiru or planet X ? i think thats what it's called , some of the things i have read are all talking about life ending and the mayans predict 2012 is the end?

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yes, some call it Niburu, but it is not an end of the world scenario. I don't know if or how much damage it will cause, but it always pays to be prepared, just in case. With a little preparation, we can weather most storms. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Thanks! Those are some good links for those who don't know what to do or what to store for a disaster situation. Hurricane season is upon us and many are fleeing the east coast right now as Irene approaches. Some things can't be prepared for but most can. Good Luck. I just saw Elenin on Google Sky, in infrared. It doesn't look like a comet to me. Looks more like the brown dwarf some say it is. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
As hurricane Irene ravaged the east coast last week, many are without power and will be for another week r so. In some outlying areas it may be several weeks until power is restored. We all can experience a sudden disruption of power from many different sources. Those who are somewhat prepared can often survive and cope well with this inconvienence. Food, water and some essential supplies are all that are required in short period power outages. If we were to encounter something that required a long period without power, many would not survive. Some perished in this last storm along the eastern coast of the US. Some were stubborn and refused to leave their homes before the stom arrived. Each has to make a decision before it gets to that point, and often that decision dictates the final outcome of your survival. It is a hard decision to make when leaving your home to the unknown. I feel sad for those who had to make that choice. And feel sad for those who stayed and for those who perished. Hopefully we all can learn a lesson from this and be prepared to make a better informed decision when and if that time comes to our neighborhood. Those who are prepared lesson the odds of a tragedy when faced with these conditions. We can't be prepared for any event that hapens, but we can be better equipped to handle those which are not of a planetary nature. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
For those of you who have basic electrical and or electronic knowledge, here is an easy way to recieve and capture radiant energy and convert it to electricity. Nikola Tesla discovered radiant energy and used it to power his electric motors. This is a small version only capable of a few volts and will only power a small bulb. It can be scaled up to provide whatever is needed if that is your desire. You will need: aluminum plate 6x6 inches, (4)IN4007 diodes, (1) 220 UF 25 Volt capacitor, an earth ground rod, insulated wire. The aluminum plate needs to be highly polished, attached to insulated wire, mounted on top of PVC or wood pole, then diodes and capacitor soldered in place. The higher the pole, the larger the aluminum plate, the more electricity that can be made. After polishing the aluminum plate, attach the wire then insulate with paint, elctrical tape or plastic. No metal must be showing. You can mount the electronic components in a waterproof plastic box. The diodes make a full wave rectifier. Good Luck. rockhound
capacitor 220 UF 25 V
l --------~l insulated wire lY__wire connection_______C__________~
l !~------~---------~--------~----------~-l l----D-~----l l l
l l----~-------~-----------~-------~------- l pole l l-------------+positive l l -- ground l
l_______l wire wraped l D D l l l
aluminum plate around pole ground l----------- ground rod L__D___~ _l ___________~________l
IN4007 diodes l_Y__________l wire

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I just watched a video of Elenin, supposedly being blown into two separate pieces. The blast originated somewhere in the vicinity of Jupiter. If this video is real, then Elenin has taken a different path after the explosion. I am not sure if the video is real or an attempt to satisfy the masses curiosity and shift the focus from it to something else. If it is a disinformation tactic, which has been used before, then it is still on its original path and will come close to earth on the weekend of September 25-28. This is when it will have the most effect on our planet. If it is responsible for the earthquakes we are having, we might need to hold onto our hats on that weekend. Hopefully it will pass without having any effect on us. I am stocking up on necessities in case of any scenario that does happen. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
heater supplement

Those of you who change your own oil, as I do, this is a way to reuse that oil and help offset your heating bills. All you need are a tank to hold the oil, with a 1/2 water valve screwed into it. A tank or pot, large enough to fill with some iron pieces, shaving or trash, and support posts for the oil filled tank. Open the valve and let it drop several drops of oil into the bottom pot. Light a paper to get it started, then open the valve just enough to drop and keep it burning. The oil tank should be at least 6 feet higher than the burning pot to avoid the flame reaching the oil tank. After experimenting with it a bit, you should be able to keep it lit with minimal oil drips, plus the iron will absorb heat and reflect it just like a convection heater. This works great in an out building or garage. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you have trees, when you prune them, you ca use those pruning to run a rocket stove. It only uses small twigs and branches to make its heat. Good Luck. rockhound

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Im gathering parts for one of these.

If you bypass the Regulator and diode pack you can run drills, grinders, saws and other tools with it.

Bypass just the Regulator and you can Weld with it.

Attachments

• 309498_2182897939963_1472411160_31938732_1852459683_n.jpg
    309498_2182897939963_1472411160_31938732_1852459683_n.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 666
OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Those are much cheaper and work good as a backup generator for charging batteries. With a converter, it can also be used to provide AC to your house. If not wired up for it, you would need to run a heavy outdoor extension cord. Most alternators are around 60-70 Amps, 720-840 watts. You would need a 1000 watt inverter. This will power your refrigerator if needed, or will light your home, but will not run an electric heater. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I know many out there have thought about or anticipate a meltdown coming. Our countries can't continue on the path they are on. The last time the world went into a great depression, a war was started to pump up the economies of certain countries. Those who were in power used their muscle to ravage other countries of their wealth. When and if tshtf, what are your plans for survivng the hoards of vultures looking for anything of value, especially food and gas. I believe it is only possible to survive in small groups, living together like a family, each helping and sharing with each other, as well as watching each others back. This would probably include family and some very good friends. It would work like the surviver experiment seen on TV last year, where a bunch of people were thrown together to try and survive after a nuclear holocaust. The only thing is, each one had a specialty of one type or another. Your family and friends may not have all these skills to rely on. As hunter-gatherers you would not need to many skills, but if you wanted to create a permanent home, you would need someone with electrical and mechanical skills as well as be physically fit to build the necessary shelter and protection to ensure your safety and that of the others. You could take some necessary items to start with but food and water would soon vanish. A study of pioneering strategies are helpful and maybe necessary as they made almost all their own food preparation and storage containers, soaps, herbal remedies, clothing, shoes, cut wood for their fireplaces and hunted game and fished as well as gardened. Hopefully our society won't break down, but if all the demonstrations continue and they keep putting pressure on their respective governments, then something will happen, and probably not for the better. Most people are getting tired of being lied to and told to hold on, a better time is coming. Making plans now so if tshtf happens, I will be more prepared. Good Luck. rockhound

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell ya this is where my current lifestyle of being a farmer comes in handy. All my friends are farm types. We know skills. I also am up to date on surviving. Hubby just shot a big doe last night. meat for the freezer.

My group of friends to rely on have what it takes for food, shelter, warmth etc and way more. We have lots and lots of guns and ammo if needed.

I am not an over the top survivalist type but I know and have planned what if scenarios a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread