A grave problem.... is it ethical?

L

lauralea

First..the..grave..yard/..next..the..graves?...If..they..allow..you..to..do..it..what..would..stop..
someone..not..as..caring..of..the..eternal...resting..place..to..do..it..and..be..careless..Just..know
you..are..setting..a..precedent..for...all..those..that..come..after..you..have..gone,..or..while..you..
are..doing..your..search,..As..a..family..member..of..many..dead..it..would..bother..me...Ethical..No..it's
not..ethical..As..a..person..I..would..not...want..anyone..digging..near..my..plot,..(.paid..for)..last..home...You
would..be..tresspassing..don't..you..think?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for me, if I am dead, I don't think that I would care much what you did around my corpse. ;D ;D

Dead is dead.

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
As for me, if I am dead, I don't think that I would care much what you did around my corpse. ;D ;D

Dead is dead.

Mike

Again Gotta Agree.

When I'm dead If you find me, Feel free to dig around me in case one of me Friends or Relatives, Dropped something.

But remember you need Permission from Someone who is alive ;)

I'd say check My Pockets too, I won't feel it,

But that could get you Busted. don't want That.

I can also see lauralea's Point about someone else taking it upon themselves to Detect next. and If they arn't as Respectfull it can mean trouble.

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay....Yes Id never do that......I was under the impression that he was talking about a mound inside the cemetary....not actual graves.....See if you can get permission if not...avoid looking in that direction!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ellehciM said:
Okay....Yes Id never do that......I was under the impression that he was talking about a mound inside the cemetary....not actual graves.....See if you can get permission if not...avoid looking in that direction!

That's what he said, but since he hasn't researched it yet, how does he know that it's not some kind of tomb?

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ellehciM said:

He is actually Not talking the graves.

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
ellehciM said:

That's what he said, but since he hasn't researched it yet, how does he know that it's not some kind of tomb?

Mike
Very true... I got the picture ;)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
ellehciM said:

He is actually Not talking the graves.

Yeah, but Jeff,

It's 50 feet tall by about an acre in diameter! Who knows what's underneath? Maybe bones!

Mike

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Update: but first I need to clarify- I'm NOT talking about detecting the graves!! I'm talking about the rock formation in the middle of the cemetery- NO GRAVES are on it. I can picture a good number of people having picnics on the rock over the years though. There's a bare minimum of 50 yard between the base of the rock and the closest headstone with a road in between the two. Second: The rock is a natural formation, a bedrock out cropping common to the area- no caves and definitely nothing "underneath" it.
So I talked to my buddy who still works for the sheriff's department. I explained that I would like to MD the rock formation in the middle of the place, he said I was nuts. "Ain't nobody gonna bother you out there! Specially if you're just up on that rock. Long as you ain't digg'n no one up you ain't gonna get in no trouble."
That pretty much settles it for me- I'm going to hit it Monday morning early- I will park behind the rock, keep a low profile but if anybody takes offense to me being there I will leave. I really don't think anybody will though... the road it's on is lucky to have five cars go by all day- and besides, like I said- I'm not going to be by anybodys headstone- just the central rock formation. I will post if I have any luck. 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, I hope you find something Cool

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you start digging, and see something looking up at you from the hole........fill it back in...QUICK! ;D ;D ;D

Best,

Mike

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Cannonman17 said:
Update: but first I need to clarify- I'm NOT talking about detecting the graves!! I'm talking about the rock formation in the middle of the cemetery- NO GRAVES are on it. I can picture a good number of people having picnics on the rock over the years though. There's a bare minimum of 50 yard between the base of the rock and the closest headstone with a road in between the two. Second: The rock is a natural formation, a bedrock out cropping common to the area- no caves and definitely nothing "underneath" it.
So I talked to my buddy who still works for the sheriff's department. I explained that I would like to MD the rock formation in the middle of the place, he said I was nuts. "Ain't nobody gonna bother you out there! Specially if you're just up on that rock. Long as you ain't digg'n no one up you ain't gonna get in no trouble."
That pretty much settles it for me- I'm going to hit it Monday morning early- I will park behind the rock, keep a low profile but if anybody takes offense to me being there I will leave. I really don't think anybody will though... the road it's on is lucky to have five cars go by all day- and besides, like I said- I'm not going to be by anybodys headstone- just the central rock formation. I will post if I have any luck. 8)

good luck with it. keep us posted!

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks guys- I'll post the finds good, bad, or nothing... I'll be going Monday A.M. early. Will post later monday.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
just an update, ended up I couldn't go yesterday morning because my wife made plans for something other than me detecting... I WILL however be going today, in fact I will be put'n the old head phones on in about three hours..so if I find any old stuff I will post later today. Wish me luck.. (I have visions of picnics on this rock in the 1800's and coins spilling out and about!)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
just an update, ended up I couldn't go yesterday morning because my wife made plans for something other than me detecting... I WILL however be going today, in fact I will be put'n the old head phones on in about three hours..so if I find any old stuff I will post later today. Wish me luck.. (I have visions of picnics on this rock in the 1800's and coins spilling out and about!)
shut up and go its 6am ::) just an update

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steak and eggy-waggies waiting ;D and WHITE BREAD no whole grain

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
VISIONS OF PICNICS AND COINS?? BETTER BRING THE CHICKEN AND FILL YOUR POCKETS. YOU GUYS ARE TOO FUNNY. GOOD LUCK, I HOPE YOU FIND LOTS AND LOTS OF COOL STUFF!!!!
P.S. IF YOU FEEL SOMETHING GRAB YOUR ANKLE, DON'T DROP THE DETECTOR WHEN YOU RUN!!!

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Nothing. I discovered that the local hoodlem population (high school kids) now use the rock in the cemetary as a party spot.. fire pits scattered about and pop tops and beer cans and bottle caps EVERYWHERE. I dug up at least a hundred, some new clad, nothing old except for two axe heads buried very deep and appear to be quite old. One hood ornament that must have been off something from the 40's or 50's. I feel like I'm missing something at this place and will have to try one more time... sometime...

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Me, personnally, I could not hunt without obtaining permission first. I have to think how I would feel if I saw folks on my property without permission. And being a woman and I see a man on my property, I have to think the worse...shoot first, ask questions later ;)

As for cemeteries, as some said, that is a personal choice you have to make. The only cemetery searching I do is taking pics of headstones and researching the individual. That is part of my book, researching and photographing all the cememteries, big and small, in my area...to help preserve it's history of the ppl of our past. But I could never metal detect in a cemetery. My personal choice.

I am sure you will make the best decision that is right for you.

HH...........Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread